Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anyone imported a rifle from Europe?

Question Anyone imported a rifle from Europe?

Dear all, has anyone imported a rifle from a European (EU) country? If you can explain to me the pitfalls, and or the procedures involved, I would be very grateful !!

Many thanks,
    ft
    Blindness to suffering is an inherent consequence of natural selection. Nature is neither kind nor cruel but fiercely indifferent.

Ft,

With regards to the EU I believe it isn't an import, but a purchase. If you have legally "purchased" a firearm in the EU then Stage 1 is complete.

Stage 2 is when you present yourself and your new "purchase" to HMRC at your arrival point in the UK.

You will at this point present him with your FAC showing a vacant slot for your new "purchase". You will also show him a formal VAT receipt from the "vendor".

At this point HMRC should do the normal thing and just report this to the Firearms Dept relevant to your FAC. You should also inform them ASAP as if you had purchased at your local RFD.

Now, if you have complicated Stage 1........

Stan

I have bought two rifles in France on seperate occasions and as smullery says it is a purchase within the EU and therefore not an import as such. Both times I informed H.M. Customs at Calais (Eurotunnel so technically in the U.K.) and on both occasions they didn't want to know. It was up to me to inform the force that issued my certificate, though I understand that there is a system of notification by the seller to his local gendarmarie and so on down the chain until it eventually gets to your firearms department some time later.

Ft,

Gone back through my records when I was gifted a shotgun in South Africa when they introduced control. No problems getting it out of SA on a courier. Couldn't take it personally.

Had to get exemption authority from DTI in 2007, but wasn't difficult. Duty and VAT due plus lot of third party cost. Still cheaper than bringing a trophy back though, just

If you are wanting to "acquire" personally then I doubt it will be easy.

Stan

Personal purchase in Europe couldn't be easier , just the same as buying in this country as long as you have your certificates sorted out before you go. It is also a good idea to send the dealer photo copies of your certificate, European Firearms Passport and the main page of your passport a week or so before you travel.

Ft,

When we say PERSONAL we mean a commercial purchase from a foreign RFD, not a "one to one" private. That can't be done for obvious reasons (your FAC Authority only allows you to do this with another FAC holder, UK that is).

Loop through an RFD in situ, at expense, if that's what your opportunity is

Stan

Quote Originally Posted by 8x57 View Post
    Both times I informed H.M. Customs at Calais (Eurotunnel so technically in the U.K.) and on both occasions they didn't want to know. It was up to me to inform the force that issued my certificate.
    My experience as well. Bringing S5 tranquilising rifles, into the UK the H.M. Customs were quite put out that we should be bothering them by declaring the stuff! As an aside, when later consignments were being sent from within the EU they were delivered by standard DHL carrier and were often left on the doorstep!!!! Only in the UK do we equate a blowpipe for veterinary use with a Rarden Cannon or similar!

I enquired about this in France and the dealer who spoke almost no English and myself speaking almost no French managed to work it out although we never went ahead. He wouldn't hand it to me as I didn't have the French papers and he was not interested in my English FAC, didn't understand it, but he would take it the the ferry port and hand it to them there to bring across I would have to collect it for the crew to take to customs. I was looking at an Italian Dbl SxS in 8x57R.

I bought a Savage 110 .270 win Sierra from a dealer in Bavaria when I lived in the UK-Kent, and I needed a form from my licensing authority there for the dealer I think it was a form 7.
    Took it over to the dealer and brought the gun back with me and added it to my ticketwith no problems at all. This was in 1999.
    Martin

Thanks chaps! I will run it past my feo and see what he says too.

A friend of mine who is an RFD said bringing a rifle in from outside the EU took him 12 hours of phone calls to the DTI etc. etc. The rifle i have seen is in a gunshop.

ft
    Blindness to suffering is an inherent consequence of natural selection. Nature is neither kind nor cruel but fiercely indifferent.