Thread: Windproof Smock (gabardine?) MTP supplier

Established Poster

Windproof Smock (gabardine?) MTP supplier

Hi

Im trying to find a decent windproof smock in MTP, after 3 years of constant hard use my surplus one has had it..... Long ago I had a DPM gabardine smock which was insanely good and I'm after a similar one in MTP. After a bit of searching I have only found one potential supplier and was wondering if anyone on here knew of any company that makes them (want to add in some mods).

Thanks

ash

Are Special Air Sea Services still on the go? They used to offer loads of variations on the standard smock.

Have you tried Helikon? Polish company, but available through plenty of outlets in the UK
    Sako 75 6.5x55mm-Z6i 3-18x50. MauserM12 .308-SIII 6-24x50. Beretta 690 III Field 12b.
    "You have enemies? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life."
    Sir Winston Leonard Spencer Churchill (1874-1965)

Mind you they are probably "collectable" now. When I was a student I had a Dennison smock I used to wear. Chucked it out when I got a job. Saw one the other day for £500!!

David.

Established Poster
    It does look as though sass are no more

I do have some helikon trousers which are also falling apart.... I guess I'm a bit hard on my gear...

this lot do the old-style SAS/RM Arctic smock in MTP (its not MTP, but if you can tell the difference from a foot away i'll give you a lollipop..).

Jackets Smocks ATP (Clothing)

sadly i don't think anyone is doing the original Ventile or Gabardine smocks at less than many hundreds of pounds, so unless you fancy shelling out more than my first three cars put together you're going to get a poly-cotton job. that doesn't mean they are rubbish, they aren't, poly-cotton has some advantages over the originals and in truth i bet that you'd be hard pushed to tell them apart in terms of effect.

they just won't be quite as good right at the top end of the performance envelope - think sitting on a South Georgia mountain top...

There's also Solo International in Hereford. I had one of their Patrol smocks for a while, but wasn't getting the use out of it so sold it on. Sh*tloads of pouches for gralloching kit, first aid kit, etc...
    Sako 75 6.5x55mm-Z6i 3-18x50. MauserM12 .308-SIII 6-24x50. Beretta 690 III Field 12b.
    "You have enemies? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life."
    Sir Winston Leonard Spencer Churchill (1874-1965)

Lots of choices on here - and good value as well: Jackets - British Military Surplus
    The Goretex jackets are ofcourse Waterproof as well as windproof. Otherwise go for the windproof jacket.
    The condition of most clothing/footwear from this site is described as 'used Grade 1 or Used Grade 2. However, in my experience, if you go for Grade 1, they are often delivered in the original packaging and brand new.
    Obviously, if you prefer, you could go for a 'hunter' branded premium name and pay 5 to 10 times as much. But will you shoot more deer as a result?
    • Do not be seduced by the marketing-men....