Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sako ring query

Sako ring query

Hi guys,

I soon hope to acquire a Sako 85 and would like to mount my 4-16x50 PMII on top. Can I ask the guys who have a similar set up what rings/bases/mounts they used. I'd like to get the scope as low to the barrel as I can.
    I'm thinking optilocks will be the answer but don't know if I can get an extra low 34mm ring??!

Thanks,
    JD.

I know you can get extra low for 30mm tubes - not sure about others - HTH
    For Gods sake - don't tell her how much I've spent

Ctrl-Alt FACT

You can use optilocks which I think they only do one height size in 34mm but I could be wrong

you can also buy 3rd eye tactical / tier 1 rings which will bolt to the dovetail I also believe if you went up to them they'll machine a set for you with your specific height requirements

34's come in a low - these might be of help

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	OptilockRingChart.pdf 
Views:	42 
Size:	71.2 KB 
ID:	67475

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	OptilockTechnicalSpecifications.pdf 
Views:	30 
Size:	138.5 KB 
ID:	67476
    For Gods sake - don't tell her how much I've spent

Ctrl-Alt FACT

Thanks for the replies guys. I looked at the Optilock chart and from my estimation bases and low 34mm rings would give a BH of 17.5mm, add at least 3mm for rail over barrel and I think there could be a 9mm gap under scope objective. Think a call to Tier One to enquire about Sako direct fit mounts might be the answer

I may have over estimated the difference between rail and barrel and gap might be closer to 6mm which I could live with.
    Last edited by JamesDeere; 07-03-2016 at 22:47.

I'm sure that you're aware anyway but if you go too close to the barrel and use a moderator, the moderator will obscure your view on the lower magnifications. I appreciate that if you don't use below 8X magnification this will not be an issue but thought you should know!

Machine the bases down.
    Below is a link to my website.
    Quad sticks

Quote Originally Posted by baguio View Post
    I'm sure that you're aware anyway but if you go too close to the barrel and use a moderator, the moderator will obscure your view on the lower magnifications. I appreciate that if you don't use below 8X magnification this will not be an issue but thought you should know!
    I have all my scopes mounted within millimetres of the barrel and never noticed the moderator obstructing even down at 4x, and I rarely ever go under 10x anyway. If needs be I can get a local stock maker to fit an adjustable cheek riser.

I have a Phoenix Tactical bipod mounted on the rail of my Steyr and while you'd assume it's going to obscure sight picture it's totally unnoticeable. The PMII pictured has 1.5mm clearance and is unhindered.

Last edited by JamesDeere; 08-03-2016 at 16:57.

Quote Originally Posted by JamesDeere View Post
    I have all my scopes mounted within millimetres of the barrel and never noticed the moderator obstructing even down at 4x, and I rarely ever go under 10x anyway. If needs be I can get a local stock maker to fit an adjustable cheek riser.
    It's very noticeable on my Z6i below x5! I don't go down that low often either though so not a disaster!