Thread: Which Lansky Knife Sharpener

Which Lansky Knife Sharpener

In the market for a knife sharpener and looking for some advice. Thought the Lansky turn box rod system or the stone sharpening system might fit the bill. Don't know if the diamond or ceramic system would be best.

Any advice?

Willie

Willie

Declared bias/ interest - we sell Lansky gear and in particular stock the last of the Fold a Vee sharpeners and the Ceramic 4 Rod turn box.

The Fold a Vee has the same medium grade ceramic rods as the turn box, but housed in a plastic fold up frame.

There appears no proper industry standard in terms of 'grit description' across sharpeners - one firms fine is another's fine and so on. When you bring diamond finshes into the equation, you need to be careful as there are two distinct types - polychrystalline and mono.

The Lansky diamond products we've handled ( and we havent seen every one of them, so only talking about those seen ) was poly-chrystalline - both the rod type and flat 'bench stone' type. Across the grades, we found then highly aggressive and the fine bench stone was significantly coarser than the medium ceramic. To the extent that I only utilise them if needing to remove lots of metal - ie rarely.

The ceramic rods do a great job - acting as a quasi-steel. They do remove a tiny amount of metal ( note the grey streaks when using them ) but it is tiny. That makes them great for finishing or light touch up. If your edge is seriously blunt or dinged, then all the ceramic rod type sharpeners will take a very long time to restore things - because their action is so mild.

So you need a good idea of what you want from the product.

All that waffle out of the way, we've found that the Lanskey Ceramic rod system works well and is one of the more goof proof systems. Its very easy to get consistency - which regardless of what product you use is the key to frustration free sharpening.

DMT do some of the better diamond tools we've seen and these are mono-chrystalline; it shows! They do great work but are significantly higher in price. But if you are finding you are heavy on edges, these may be worthwhile.

We'll have both of the products with us at Kelso if you want to see them in the flesh.

Hope that helps

Andy
    Stalking, Courses, Gear - Moray Outfiiting Website here - Welcome
    BASC Approved Trainer & Assessor. Cairngorm National Park Authority Approved Supplier. Supported by Sauer Arms
    See you at the Stalking Fair, Scone & Moy 2017

Hi Andy,

Thanks for the info and will look out for your stall when I'm at Kelso,

Thanks again, Willie

Lansky Fold a Vee

Andy sold me one of these a few years ago - it really is idiot proof which is probably why he selected it for me. If used regularly and sparingly it gives superb relults.

Ceramic 4 rod turn box gets my vote, brilliant kit for sharpening. I sharpen mine after every use with the fine rods and it's literally razor sharp every time. Again purchased from Moray Outfitting

Alba gu brąth

Sauer 101 6.5x55, Beretta Silver Pigeon 12g Over&Under

Quote Originally Posted by Willie View Post
    In the market for a knife sharpener and looking for some advice. Thought the Lansky turn box rod system or the stone sharpening system might fit the bill. Don't know if the diamond or ceramic system would be best.

Any advice?

Willie
    Have you considered the Spyderco 4 rod system I have one of these and the Lansky rod boxed set of 4.
    Out of the two I would personaly Reccomend the Spyderco, the Lansky is a fag to set up with clamping the blade etc and I also have never managed to get a knife as sharp as when using the Spyderco. Each to his own though, one mans meat etc.

Attachment 67506This one is as simple as it can be!

Alba gu brąth

Sauer 101 6.5x55, Beretta Silver Pigeon 12g Over&Under

Quote Originally Posted by jackfish View Post
    Attachment 67506This one is as simple as it can be!
    Yep I agree that's exactly the same as the Spyderco. It's the individual rod ones that are a pain.

Interesting ( really means boring! ) aside. I'm not certain of the exact nature of the link, but Lanskey and Spyderco do speak to each other at the very least - the Lanskey Fold A Vee was actually a Spyderco design that they decided not to pursue and sold/ transferred etc to Lanskey. When that one comes up in a pub quiz....
    Stalking, Courses, Gear - Moray Outfiiting Website here - Welcome
    BASC Approved Trainer & Assessor. Cairngorm National Park Authority Approved Supplier. Supported by Sauer Arms
    See you at the Stalking Fair, Scone & Moy 2017

There is a lot of romance around knife sharpening. I have been wood working for the last 45 years and have sharpened a lot of tools, I am far from an expert but I can put an edge on that will shave hair from your arm. I bought some steal and ceramic sharpeners from Alliexpress lately and have found them top class at touching up a good knife for gralocking. They will get a razor edge on your knife in about 30 seconds, and they are about £1.20 . I am not connected in any way with any companies but just find them unbelivablely good for the price ,What more do you need to know.