Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: New Rifle Project

New Rifle Project

That time has come again, when I feel the need for a new toy.

What I would like is a traditional looking stalking / hunting rifle but with excellent accuracy.

What should I consider ???

I am thinking about a similar thing, although want to re stock one of my current accurate rifles with a nice walnut stock without loosing the accuracy.

The issue comes down to the bedding into wood which is more challenging to get stable than composites.

Two routes I am considering, one is the Accurate Innovations stock which is traditional walnut with a full length aluminium chassis Accurate Innovations | Drop Dead Gorgeous Amazingly Accurate and the other is trying a hydrographic printed finish on a composite stock Hydrographics Image Gallery Other Items.html

The hydrographic experiment will only cost 80. The walnut option will be considerably more expensive but I'm sure will look more traditional.
    So much to learn and so little time left

would an off the shelf tikka or sako tied up with some decent homeloads not be good enough? both are renowed for being very accurate and are going to cost you a dam site more than a custom built rifle which is what i think your hinting towards

Sako 85 Classic Delux would be my choice for an off-the-shelf beauty + accuracy - IMO
    For Gods sake - don't tell her how much I've spent

Ctrl-Alt FACT

Ideally off the shelf.

In .308 cal and be a left handed action.

I had the same hankering a few years ago bulit a Remi 700 with walnut stock fully pillar and glass bedded seal the barrel channel, match trigger etc clover leafs at 100 yards, looks traditional but does everything and more than I could ask.

Quote Originally Posted by welshwarrior View Post
    I had the same hankering a few years ago bulit a Remi 700 with walnut stock fully pillar and glass bedded seal the barrel channel, match trigger etc clover leafs at 100 yards, looks traditional but does everything and more than I could ask.
    Who made the walnut stock for you? Wasn't sure you could successfully pillar and glass bed a traditional wooden stock. You obviously have.

Hi.
    Schultz and Larsen offer left hand with nice wood. Cut rifled barrels too.

http://greatdanerifles.com/

Ivythorn had a lovely 308 on guntrader.

Yorkie.

Quote Originally Posted by welshwarrior View Post
    I made it myself.
    Any pictures to post? Really fancy having a go but not sure I'm brave enough. Have made knives very successfully but a stock might be a bridge too far!