Tikka T3x launched

dont know what to think about the interchangeable pistol grip dont know how it attaches but if it screws on screws can work losse and if it snaps on how easy could it snap off! the rest of it seems pretty good tho

It's good that they've kept it simple and not changed too much. I wonder if the fore end on the synthetic stock is a bit stiffer (I don't personally have a problem with it as it is).

It's good that they've kept it simple and not changed too much. I wonder if the fore end on the synthetic stock is a bit stiffer (I don't personally have a problem with it as it is).

I read that they've filled the stock, so it will be stiffer and quieter ie there won't be a loud and hollow "TONK", so I'd hope they've done this through to the fore end as well

Well they've opened up the ejection port to allow loading single rounds and added a metal bolt shroud. All good. Still only a limited range of left hand models and expect in the uk we will be charged 2x what Muir will be paying in the US. And still only 3 rounds in the flush with bottom magazine - usually more than enough, but taking a couple of hinds and their calves will be a faff.

I had a look at the T3x and spoke to the product manager as I collected a few rifles for our stand at the IWA.
For SAKO/Tikka it was very important that the T3x is reverse compatible with the original. Thankfully they kept that.
The changeable grips looked ok, don't think they will fall off. Actions are also screwed in and don't fall off. I can already see the forums written full of getting the old "stronger" action...... Speaking to Hakan Spuhr from Sweden they had been opening the ejection port on their T3's for a while already. Tikka probably just copied what some experts were doing all along.
edi

Even though I have no intention of ever buying a T3 never mind the new version I thought I would watch the video. However it will not load. Just get the daisy wheel spinning around and that is it. :rofl: they must know that I am never going to buy one .................................. Ahhhh perhaps someone was listenign as it opened...... Not a video but more of an animated Giff? First view is the Improved grip and the first thing my eyes beheld was a huge gap between barrel and stock. My God you could fit the whole of the british Army in that gap !!! it is horrible. :rofl: The next clip oddly enough the gap is no way as big on the rifle with the two in the snow.................... well that looks good for consistant quality control does it not? It also seems Tikka have invented the fact that the shooter can actually move thier support hand along the fore stock ............................. Oh my what a radical idea and something no shooter before has ever thought of................... obviously or it would need a photo clip to demonstrate it :rolleyes:.

Oh my the rifle recoils :doh: just like any other shoulder held rifle. My respect for Tikka is slipping lower with each clip so I will not bother looking at any more. Shame as they used to make nice rifles and of very good quality but I fear that has slipped badly. John's 308 T3 Tactical shot well but the action always felt rough and dry like it missed the finishing stages the T3 lite he bought to go with it prooved to be inconsistant in grouping so he eventually gave up on it and traded in in for a Sako 75 I believe but he was also looking at a Sauer. Have not seen him since he sold his business and moved away so cannot check on what he did get.

No doubt I am wrong for suggesting that this is just a facelift to increase sales from the must have the latest crowd.

I'm a big fan of the T3 for the price point there is nothing else as good I have a stainless lite in 30.06 at the moment and have 2 Sauer 202's as well. Yes the Sauers are better made but the groups they shoot are no better for x3 the cost. I will be calling my local gun shop in the next couple of days to order a t3x stainless varmint in .243. Guessing no more than $1000 over here but I'm sure GMK will use this opportunity to push the price point over the £1000 mark for you guys.

I had a look at the T3x and spoke to the product manager as I collected a few rifles for our stand at the IWA.
For SAKO/Tikka it was very important that the T3x is reverse compatible with the original. Thankfully they kept that.
The changeable grips looked ok, don't think they will fall off. Actions are also screwed in and don't fall off. I can already see the forums written full of getting the old "stronger" action...... Speaking to Hakan Spuhr from Sweden they had been opening the ejection port on their T3's for a while already. Tikka probably just copied what some experts were doing all along.
edi

I wonder weather the Spuhr trg22 dovetail mount will now work with the T3x? Previously I believe you had to mil the ejection port to enable reliable ejection

Even though I have no intention of ever buying a T3 never mind the new version I thought I would watch the video. However it will not load. Just get the daisy wheel spinning around and that is it. :rofl: they must know that I am never going to buy one .................................. Ahhhh perhaps someone was listenign as it opened...... Not a video but more of an animated Giff? First view is the Improved grip and the first thing my eyes beheld was a huge gap between barrel and stock. My God you could fit the whole of the british Army in that gap !!! it is horrible. :rofl: The next clip oddly enough the gap is no way as big on the rifle with the two in the snow.................... well that looks good for consistant quality control does it not? It also seems Tikka have invented the fact that the shooter can actually move thier support hand along the fore stock ............................. Oh my what a radical idea and something no shooter before has ever thought of................... obviously or it would need a photo clip to demonstrate it :rolleyes:.

Oh my the rifle recoils :doh: just like any other shoulder held rifle. My respect for Tikka is slipping lower with each clip so I will not bother looking at any more. Shame as they used to make nice rifles and of very good quality but I fear that has slipped badly. John's 308 T3 Tactical shot well but the action always felt rough and dry like it missed the finishing stages the T3 lite he bought to go with it prooved to be inconsistant in grouping so he eventually gave up on it and traded in in for a Sako 75 I believe but he was also looking at a Sauer. Have not seen him since he sold his business and moved away so cannot check on what he did get.

No doubt I am wrong for suggesting that this is just a facelift to increase sales from the must have the latest crowd.

If you have no intention of buying a T3 then don't bother commenting next time. There are a lot of us that really enjoy using them.

Your negative comments about modern rifles are getting a bit boring.

I have to say I like the look of the material changes
metal for plastic
steel for ali

looks good

just dont do what the video shows and put a Burris scope in it

6:10m onwards shows the range

The only real improvement as far as I'm concerned are the steel recoil lug and steel bolt shroud cover. The rest are relatively minor things for me. I can load my varmint singly if needed already (although I can't think why I'd want to) and already have a 5 shot mag which all owners of T3s have access to (spare part, sold separately). Presumably, you'll be able to buy the steel shroud cover and recoil lug as spares and retro-fit to standard T3s. After looking at the new GRS Berserker stock, that is where my T3 is destined to go, so I wouldn't be tempted by any of the new models anyway. The only good thing is that presumably, there may be some reductions in the offing to clear old T3 models. Still one (if not "the") best new rifle for the money available. One thing of interest (anyone else twig it?)...the blurb with the new advert states "1moa" accuracy guaranteed whilst current models are "3/4 moa". I wonder why they've changed this? Seems like reverse marketing!

Last edited:
If you have no intention of buying a T3 then don't bother commenting next time. There are a lot of us that really enjoy using them.

Actually I find the bland S/S and black plastic boring but instead of pointing out more truths I shall instead thank you for being a "Follower of fashion" because they leaves what I desire in the more unusual and individual arena :cool: in fact as James found out when I spoke to him about the rifle I desire he was rather taken aback by what is required to meet the specs.

I shall also try to remember that no one should ever dare speak the truth or dare to disagree with the mass of followers.

Last edited:

ooooh Conure. You got told off the same as I did ages ago. Not allowed to criticise T3's in here. Very bad. Very naughty.

Criticize the T-3 all you want.
It's an axe. Designed for a purpose -which is to shoot straight and take abuse. I have some aesthetically pleasing rifles in the old world sense, but when I'm in the high country, crawling over rocks and through blow-downs, the T-3 is my choice. Takes a beating and never fails.

I don't take offense if anybody diss'es them tho. You should hear me go off on 700 Remingtons....;)~Muir

Having had one in my hands yetserday (T3x that is), I have to say the new design is very tactile and serviceable.

Not sure on the newly designed mags though - jury out on these...

Back