Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: new to deer staliking a few quick question

new to deer staliking a few quick question

I'm relatively new to deer stalking I have been offered some stalking in Marston near Grantham I was just wondering if any of you were in that neck off the woods and know about deer numbers in the area and the stalking iv been offered is a few hundred Acres for almost a grand. I'm wondering weather it is worth buying into a syndicate in that area or is there better areas near Grantham that would be worth trying to peruse? Thanks for replies in advance regards B

Welcome to SD. Some might say as a new stalker you're very lucky to be offered any stalking at all. However a 1000 is a fair sum of money for a couple hundred acres if there's no deer on it. I would suggest you do some reconnaissance and find out what you think is on there. While the ground is soft have a good look for tracks or well worn racks. Look for hair on fence wires. See if the trees have been browsed. You might have 200 acres that "hold very few deer, but is sandwiched between woodlands or feeding area's. You need to look for the signs of deer. Then depending on your findings decide if you are happy to pay for it. Other than that I'd be surprised if there's a syndicate you can just buy into. From my experience you have to put your hand in the pocket and get out, then a few people are met and opportunities come up. Good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by Benji53 View Post
    I'm relatively new to deer stalking I have been offered some stalking in Marston near Grantham I was just wondering if any of you were in that neck off the woods and know about deer numbers in the area and the stalking iv been offered is a few hundred Acres for almost a grand. I'm wondering weather it is worth buying into a syndicate in that area or is there better areas near Grantham that would be worth trying to peruse? Thanks for replies in advance regards B

Ben, it will cost you just over 2.74 a day for this lump of ground....take a chance. Bits of ground don't come up that often.
    People pay good money just to use a range, you will have loads of fun on there and the year will fly by.

Who dares wins Rodders...

Good luck

Tim.243
    Stalking is very much like going to the night club

You can always tell an Essex Boy, just you cant tell him much...

An hour in the field is worth a week of typing trash.....

If it's a grand for all shooting rights, I'd go for it if I were you.

Maybe you could find another stalker to share it with if the cost is too much.

EDIT: I should however add that my thoughts may be coloured by the high cost of stalking/shooting rights here in Denmark.
    Last edited by Tartan_Terrier; 08-03-2016 at 10:40.

Woodmaster, the OP quite clearly said it was "a few hundred acres". Why have you suddenly turned it into "couple hundred acres"? The difference is enormous!

Quote Originally Posted by baguio View Post
    Woodmaster, the OP quite clearly said it was "a few hundred acres". Why have you suddenly turned it into "couple hundred acres"? The difference is enormous!
    and I think your splitting hairs personally,a 1000 for a few or a couple of 100 acres is having someone's pants down and if that offends folk that pay that I'm sorry .if its got all six species and wild boar and goat then maybe
    like wood master says do your homework on the ground ,if your green as the grass as far as stalking is concerned and have nobody to show you what's what ie sign trade workings what ever you want to call it then it could well be a 1000 to glimpse the odd backside or a fox .
    get yourself someone experienced who you trust to help you decide before you lorry over a big fat hard earned 1000
    good luck my friend
    Norma

Do your homework, I have a piece of ground that is only about fifty acres and we take fifteen fallow and ten munties off it each year.
    I have other much larger pieces that doesn't produce hardly anything.
    Find out what species of deer are there as this will determine when cullling will be most productive.
    Victory goes to the player who makes the next-to-last mistake..

Also, make sure no one else stalks it already!
    Just be careful before you part with your hard earned cash.
    Cheers
    Richard

I'd be wanting to know an awful lot more before parting with any cash! You mention buying into a syndicate? Is anyone else shooting the same piece of ground?
    If you have a closed FAC, has the ground been cleared for your calibre of rifle? What access will you have? Are there other users such as game shoots or hunts? Public access/footpaths? What deer are on there and how many are you likely or required to shoot? Are there carcass or cull fees? Can you keep what you shoot.? An experienced deer manager will be able to tell you what is on the ground by doing a simple survey and impact assessment. Be careful though, as what sometimes looks like a lot of deer sign might be due entirely to nocturnally transient visitors! Unless there are deer there in numbers during the hours of daylight, the ground is probably worthless.
    MS

its got cock all to do with size.....so I keep telling my wife

could be 50 acres and well worth it
    or it could be 1000 acres and not!

what do you want to gain from it and do you have the grand to throw at it and lose?

1000 for a piece of ground you take 5, 6 , 7 , 8 roe off a year and keep the carcases but can go as often as you like, zero and target shoot, take a guest or two, shoot some pigeons, rabbits, etc etc

sounds fine if it is truly yours and isnt poached to buggery

invest in some trailcameras
    ask if you can leave them out for a week
    how far aware is it? can you be on site to see what is going on regularly