Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anyone ever worked in the USA legally?

Anyone ever worked in the USA legally?

I worked in the USA for 2.5 years legally in the 90s and have just discovered that I will be getting a nice pension sum of $263 per month at age 66.
    This is a much better amount than the miserly sum for the 32 years I do get from the UK system.
    SO has anyone else any US SSD quarters they have not claimed for?
    I had amassed 16 of the required 40 quarters that were required for getting the full US pension.
    If you have a wife she will get 50% of your amount on top so it is not to be sneezed at.

Just a tip to anyone else out there.
    I have passed it also on to two pals (one has since died and his widow will get 100% of his amount till she dies).
    Martin

Says on us gov website that you need 10 years credits ie 40 minimum quarters or you don't qualify. Doesn't mention part credits. I have 12 out of 40.

I'm not sure you've got that quite right.

My mum (a US citizen) lived in Africa for much of her life, and moved back in her late 50s. She was close to destitute, so really needed the pension - and to get it, is still working now in her late 60s. Driving a bus. Which terrifies me, because she drives...well...like your 68 year old mum!

I worked in NY off and on for 6 years but permanently for 2 years. I doubt I'll be receiving any pension (aside from the fact I'll only be 31 in April).

I paid and filed my taxes which I claimed back on my return to Blighty.

Quote Originally Posted by Biathlonjimmy View Post
    I worked in NY off and on for 6 years but permanently for 2 years. I doubt I'll be receiving any pension (aside from the fact I'll only be 31 in April).

I paid and filed my taxes which I claimed back on my return to Blighty.
    But did you get the social security back? Write to them for a readout.
    Martin

Quote Originally Posted by biffo View Post
    Says on us gov website that you need 10 years credits ie 40 minimum quarters or you don't qualify. Doesn't mention part credits. I have 12 out of 40.
    With 16 I will get $263 at 66 years this was confirmed by the Frankfurt Consulate person that interviewed me last week.
    So 12 quarters may give around $200 per month.

Go get it. I would rather you grab it for working, than all that is being handed out to people who just arrived here, legally and illegally, who never worked a day, and never will.

Quote Originally Posted by Southern View Post
    Go get it. I would rather you grab it for working, than all that is being handed out to people who just arrived here, legally and illegally, who never worked a day, and never will.
    Thanks, I appreciate the good vibes.
    My extra payback for developing the kneeling bus entry system for the Americans with disabilities law while I worked at TMC bus co in Roswell NM (the familiar white all stainless framed rapid transit bus that always seems to show up on US NYPD or CIS sets as background.
    Martin

Quote Originally Posted by Bavarianbrit View Post
    I worked in the USA for 2.5 years legally in the 90s and have just discovered that I will be getting a nice pension sum of $263 per month at age 66.

I had amassed 16 of the required 40 quarters that were required for getting the full US pension.
    If you have a wife she will get 50% of your amount on top so it is not to be sneezed at.

Martin
    So if you work for only 10 years in the USA you get a full government pension which you can transfer to your dependents, even if you're not a citizen and no longer live there?

And for only 2.5 years work, you get 42 a week at 65, even if you're not a citizen and no longer live there?

I must say I'm very surprised.