Anyone ever worked in the USA legally?

Bavarianbrit

I worked in the USA for 2.5 years legally in the 90s and have just discovered that I will be getting a nice pension sum of $263 per month at age 66.
This is a much better amount than the miserly sum for the 32 years I do get from the UK system.
SO has anyone else any US SSD quarters they have not claimed for?
I had amassed 16 of the required 40 quarters that were required for getting the full US pension.
If you have a wife she will get 50% of your amount on top so it is not to be sneezed at.

Just a tip to anyone else out there.
I have passed it also on to two pals (one has since died and his widow will get 100% of his amount till she dies).
Martin

Says on us gov website that you need 10 years credits ie 40 minimum quarters or you don't qualify. Doesn't mention part credits. I have 12 out of 40.

I'm not sure you've got that quite right.

My mum (a US citizen) lived in Africa for much of her life, and moved back in her late 50s. She was close to destitute, so really needed the pension - and to get it, is still working now in her late 60s. Driving a bus. Which terrifies me, because she drives...well...like your 68 year old mum!

I worked in NY off and on for 6 years but permanently for 2 years. I doubt I'll be receiving any pension (aside from the fact I'll only be 31 in April).

I paid and filed my taxes which I claimed back on my return to Blighty.

I worked in NY off and on for 6 years but permanently for 2 years. I doubt I'll be receiving any pension (aside from the fact I'll only be 31 in April).

I paid and filed my taxes which I claimed back on my return to Blighty.
But did you get the social security back? Write to them for a readout.
Martin

Says on us gov website that you need 10 years credits ie 40 minimum quarters or you don't qualify. Doesn't mention part credits. I have 12 out of 40.
With 16 I will get $263 at 66 years this was confirmed by the Frankfurt Consulate person that interviewed me last week.
So 12 quarters may give around $200 per month.

Go get it. I would rather you grab it for working, than all that is being handed out to people who just arrived here, legally and illegally, who never worked a day, and never will.

Go get it. I would rather you grab it for working, than all that is being handed out to people who just arrived here, legally and illegally, who never worked a day, and never will.
Thanks, I appreciate the good vibes.
My extra payback for developing the kneeling bus entry system for the Americans with disabilities law while I worked at TMC bus co in Roswell NM (the familiar white all stainless framed rapid transit bus that always seems to show up on US NYPD or CIS sets as background.
Martin

I worked in the USA for 2.5 years legally in the 90s and have just discovered that I will be getting a nice pension sum of $263 per month at age 66.

I had amassed 16 of the required 40 quarters that were required for getting the full US pension.
If you have a wife she will get 50% of your amount on top so it is not to be sneezed at.

Martin

So if you work for only 10 years in the USA you get a full government pension which you can transfer to your dependents, even if you're not a citizen and no longer live there?

And for only 2.5 years work, you get £42 a week at 65, even if you're not a citizen and no longer live there?

I must say I'm very surprised.

So if you work for only 10 years in the USA you get a full government pension which you can transfer to your dependents, even if you're not a citizen and no longer live there?

And for only 2.5 years work, you get £42 a week at 65, even if you're not a citizen and no longer live there?

I must say I'm very surprised.

So was I as I had assumed it to be just lost money as a fee to work in the USA but there are international agreements in place for transient workers. My partner pushed me to chase it up.
Behind every successful man is a pushy woman?
It kicks in for me at 66 years born as I was in 1950.

Interesting thread as I'm just starting my 3rd year working and living in the U.S. Just need to remember this in 25 years time.

Interesting thread as I'm just starting my 3rd year working and living in the U.S. Just need to remember this in 25 years time.
The US only requires you to have a total of 40 quarters ie 10 years payment into their pension system which amazes me but that,s their requirement.

Hi all,
I just had it all confirmed from the Social Security Administration center in Baltimore that I will get the pension but it will be rounded down to the nearest dollar to $263 per month.
Not bad for paying in $10807 as my contributions from 1992-1995 and there was $12714 also on top paid in from my US employer while I was working over there.
Thank you America, I have many happy memories of my time spent over there and this is a super bonus.
Martin

Get it while you can. Thanks to our current administration tripling our National Debt, we're broke!
I work for the Government and participate in a "Thrift Saving's Plan" where I contribute money each pay period and Uncle Sam tosses in about 25% of that amount each pay period. Plus they pay you interest. It all sounds like a good deal but I don't know anyone who is 100% convinced that we will be able to collect when we retire. I am always reminded of the time during the Great Depression when WWI vets were set upon by cavalry -some shot- because they asked for their back pay........ ~Muir

Hi Muir,
The first payment came thru yesterday it worked out at 232 Euros after the conversion from USD so I am quite a happy puppy.

Congrats, Bavarianbrit, on being able to collect back what you paid.

I, too, am collecting from Social Security, as well as the US Military and the US Civil Service. Three retirement paychecks for working for the US Government for 42 years; not too shabby. ~

Although I am a US citizen, I, now live, full time, in Northern Scotland. Being paid to be on a 'permanent' holiday is not all that bad. Added to that, my wife gets, as Bavarianbrit said, half of what I get on top of what I get.

This will be good, as long as Trump doesn't get into office.

I agree, if you worked in the United States, and paid any taxes, look into getting the Social Security back. Don't give it to the crooked politicians to spend for their joy.

Good on you BearStalker.
My pal was on the same contract with me in the US but he died last November at 59 his widow is now 65 and after asking London Embassy they say she is not entitled to any of his share. Bit mean in my opinion as he had made the payments.
Martin

Hi Muir,
The first payment came thru yesterday it worked out at 232 Euros after the conversion from USD so I am quite a happy puppy.
Glad you got your check. I was reading that my somewhat conservative State has almost a billion dollars in "unfunded liability" when it comes to the State's Retirement Fund for government employees. Those poor ba&tards will not get their State retirement, nor their SSI if things keep on their course.~Muir

Back