Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Empty cases scrap value..

Empty cases scrap value..

If I can get my hands on circa 50,000 centre fire empties a year, from .243-.375 what would be the commercial scrap value , if it is any at all?

Worth more for reloading than scrap

Don't know what the value would be, but when I took some scrap in and chucked a bucket of cases in with the non-ferrous the scrap yard made me take al them out in case there was a live one in there. Needless to say it took ages.

Too many variables mate. 50,000 .243 will weigh significantly less than 50,000 .375 so what you would need is total weight of your 50,000 brass pieces especially since cases of the same round but by different manufactures varies in weight also. On top of this metal scrap value changes week to week and I have zero idea what it currently is in whichever Central European country you live in.
    I also wouldn't be surprised if they insisted on them being de-primed and cleaned (so that the weight is just brass) prior to scraping.

Using the smallest brass (.243) in one of the light brands (Winchester@ roughly 160gr) times the 50,000 pieces you would have gives 8,000,000 grains which is 518.4 Kg.
    Brass price here is from 0.90-2.80/Kg.
    So you would be looking at between 466.56-1451.52 (€602.90-€1875.70)

So it's worth it IF you get anywhere near that.
    Any Questions Feel Free to PM me

Ok thanks, food for thought! Might be worth just throwing them all in a skip for the next few years then rethink the idea.

Quote Originally Posted by V.I View Post
    If I can get my hands on circa 50,000 centre fire empties a year, from .243-.375 what would be the commercial scrap value , if it is any at all?
    Weigh up a mix of what you have and then divide it in to Kg...and then the scrap price per Kg!!
    What you need to do is get a price for a grade of brass as a lot of scrap firms give a mid range price for brass taps etc.
    They will give you a lower value as they will claim it has a mix content. The better quality of your material the better the price, so do your home work.

Volume is the key

Tim.243
    Stalking is very much like going to the night club

You can always tell an Essex Boy, just you cant tell him much...

An hour in the field is worth a week of typing trash.....

Quote Originally Posted by V.I View Post
    get busy sorting and sell as reloading components
    brass value is peanuts if they will take it

Quote Originally Posted by bewsher500 View Post
    get busy sorting and sell as reloading components
    brass value is peanuts if they will take it
    Take you hour/day rate from the time you take to sort out bag/tag/grade/post the cases...then see how much they make.

Don't get to romantic about scrap...just cash it up if you can.

Tim.243

Some scrappies don't class it as Brass as they down price it based on the iron primer anvil !!
    I got rid of some once, not a lot, just a Tesco carrier bag full, but was told not worth anything, even then I had to sign an FFE slip.

Quote Originally Posted by EMcC View Post
    Some scrappies don't class it as Brass as they down price it based on the iron primer anvil !!
    I got rid of some once, not a lot, just a Tesco carrier bag full, but was told not worth anything, even then I had to sign an FFE slip.

Just checked with a local Scrap dealer, explained what I wanted to bring in i.e. spent rifle cases.

His answer was no problem, he did explain he was not keen as the potential for a live round. However he will take them. No difference in price to brass taps etc.
    As he pointed out it is just business.

Lesson 101....don't believe all what scrap dealers say

Tim.243