Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Which chainsaw?

Which chainsaw?

The installation of a 30kw fire/boiler/thermonuclear device has made me a wood provider slave.
    I have one of these electric chainsaws which are surprisingly good and a cheap chainsaw which again is ok but.......I want a proper boys toy chainsaw.....recommendations please.
    i should mention I have about 30tonnes of large logs arriving a week Saturday so it's work will be cut out prepping said logs before splitting and storing.

in edit before the p155 takers arrive....yes I have plenty of kindling
    Below is a link to my website.
    Quad sticks

Husqvarna and Stihl are the best makes, so probably best for boy's toy's material, although there are other ones that will do the job. As for size, then I guess that depends on the sort of logs you are intending to attack.

Second hand ones can be found often on a certain auction site, as well as no doubt locally to you. Although you could make a good saving, or get a better one by buying second hand, often they've had a hard life and could be problematic and they are an often stolen item, so two things to be wary of there.
    Last edited by Pedro; 10-03-2016 at 23:16.

Oh - and when setting your budget, factor in a bit of dosh for some protective gear. Especially if you'll be using it a fair bit. But I guess you know that.

And you need need need a LOG SPLITTER. Ohhh, that was money well spent.
    i bought a hitachi with a 16 inch blade. But I only have a measly 16 kilowatt burner.
    I can speak in-depth and with great knowledge about most subjects until some bugger who actually knows what he is speaking about opens his gob .

Quote Originally Posted by Pedro View Post
    Husqvarna and Stihl are the best makes, so probably best for boy's toy's material, although there are other ones that will do the job. As for size, then I guess that depends on the sort of logs you are intending to attack.

Second hand ones can be found often on a certain auction site, as well as no doubt locally to you. Although you could make a good saving, or get a better one by buying second hand, often they've had a hard life and could be problematic and they are an often stolen item, so two things to be wary of there.
    +1. Husky or stihl both really good saws, you'll find the husgvarna will run a bit faster but all I have now is stihls in chainsaw, blower, strimmers, hedge cutter decent bit of kit

save your pennies up and get a new one if possible it will last years

I have been a Husky proponent and owner for 30 years, but my next saw will probably be a stihl. In North America Husqvarna has moved into the Big Box stores (Lowes Home Improvement - think Giant Walmart for Lumber/Hardware/appliances) and the quality has gone down. Many models are oriented to the homeowner weekend woodcutter, not the farmer/rancher/timberman, and are built cheaper and come equipped with a low efficiency chain (low vibe, anti-kickback - safer but much less efficient than a full chip chain)

North Eastern Victoria Australia Mitta Mitta Sambar country.
    Deer Dog Available
    Want the best? Get a Stihl..period!

99% of pro loggers in Victoria use STIHLS..... period!

They are felling real trees with real saws..get it!
    "you nae be needing these no more"
    I said as I slipped the knife through the cord

সাম্বার হরিণ

I have a Stihl, great piece of kit. I would make sure you have enough power too, nothing more frustrating than the saw struggling through a log. Don't know if you have considered doing the basic crosscutting course, it's not cheap but I would recommend it. I learned a lot including safety and maintenance of the saw, theres a lot to learn that I wasn't able to get from just the internet.

There is a good sthil retailer at Carnforth called Dennis barnfield just off junction 35 m6 they offer good deals if going for ppe as well.
    Me personally I'm a husqvarna man.

Berkshire then Dorset now Herefordshire with a good dose of Dorset
    Blog Entries
    View my Gallery (15)View my Gallery (15)
    Okay, lets start with some basic questions and guide you in.

What size logs are you going to be cutting?
    What sort of wood?
    Do you have PPE?
    “Man surprised me most about humanity. Because he sacrifices his health in order to make money.Then he sacrifices money to recuperate his health. And then he is so anxious about the future that he does not enjoy the present; the result being that he does not live in the present or the future; he lives as if he is never going to die, and then dies having never really lived.”........Dalai Lama