New Leica bins

finnbear270

I am really pleased with my new Leica bins, but a lot peeved about a small retrograde design flaw, not with the bins themselves but with the new design lens caps,.. utter sh*te, they are shallower in depth & stay on the objective end for no more than minutes, maybe they are suffering from some form of coating like "Back to black, or cab shine", I even pierced a tiny hole through the centre of them in the hope it may have been an air pressure/seal issue, & the ocular cover is almost as bad, again very hit & miss as to it's shape in relation to the bins:doh:, Steve.

I couldn't agree more. I thought the occular covers would be great ! They won't even stay on whilst walking.
Other than that they are fantastic.

I couldn't agree more. I thought the occular covers would be great ! They won't even stay on whilst walking.
Other than that they are fantastic.

Considering contacting Leica for their thoughts on this, encouraged to see I am not the only one with this observation (Was that a pun)?:eek:

I just pushed the ring up to the bridge and they seem fine now.
I would agree that they are not the best. May be why Swarovski came out with fixed lense caps.

that is a shame, never got round to fitting at the lens caps when I was checking they were all present and correct.

what about roughing the inside edge with some sandpaper or are they just too loose?
quiet word in the shell like of Leica UK, bet they have another model that could be transferable

The Leica Ultravid Occular covers were almost the opposite and wouldn't come off without faffing!!

Ed, the covers seem a little too rounded & a bit shallower than the older types, will see if pushing the retaining ring hard back to the bridge as Grant suggests.

As long as you are aware that they are not the best of fits, just check them when you are using the bins.
Also I was thinking of giving Leica a call and getting a couple of spare sets.
I was in the same boat and was a bit peeved when I got mine last year.
Having said that I pushed the retaining ring as far back to the bridge as they would go, and check that it is still in that position when I use them. Have not lost one as yet.

Last edited:
As long as you are aware that they are not the best of fits, just check them when you are using the bins.
Also I was thinking of giving Leica a call and getting a couple of spare sets.
I was in the same boat and was a bit peeved when I got mine last year.
Having said that I pushed the retaining ring as far back to the bridge as they would go, and check that it is still in that position when I use them. Have not lost one as yet.

Grant, Don't think they would drop off the bins altogether unless they got snapped off say by leaning or crawling on something, but still they drop open after pushing the retaining ring all the way back & hasn't solved it.

Just fired off an e mither requesting Leica deal with this issue, these lenses are too expensive to not have the protective covers on when not actually being used.

Oh I see, it's not so much that the caps could come off ,but it's an issue with them flipping open ?

Oh I see, it's not so much that the caps could come off ,but it's an issue with them flipping open ?

Thats it. I used mine in anger for the first time last night, they wouldn't even stay on properly sat in the high seat.
Talk about let a top quality product down.

I must say that I the lense caps on my HDR 402s do not seem to suffer the problem to the extent that you are experiencing.

Sehr geehrte Damen und Herren,
vielen Dank für Ihre Nachricht. Wir werden uns zeitnah, unter der verwendeten E-Mail-Adresse, an Sie wenden.

Dear Sir or Madam,
Thank you for your e-mail. You will receive a timely response at the email address you provided.

Mit freundlichen Grüßen / kind regards
Leica Camera AG
Customer Care
Am Leitz-Park 5 / 35578 Wetzlar/ Germany
www.leica-camera.com<http://www.leica-camera.com/> /
info@leica-camera.com
Telephone +49(0)6441-2080-111
Fax +49(0)6441-2080-339

Well managed to loose an objective lense cover last night whilst crawling into a doe.
Luckily fi realised and managed to find it. Might have to consider a small cable tie to hold the whole thing on, or remove them whilst staking. But that kind of defeats the purpose of having them.

I lost lens covers off the older Leicas, but only through my own rough handling, the old shape covers were fine, just can't get my head round this "new design".:doh:

I am really pleased with my new Leica bins, but a lot peeved about a small retrograde design flaw, not with the bins themselves but with the new design lens caps,.. utter sh*te, they are shallower in depth & stay on the objective end for no more than minutes, maybe they are suffering from some form of coating like "Back to black, or cab shine", I even pierced a tiny hole through the centre of them in the hope it may have been an air pressure/seal issue, & the ocular cover is almost as bad, again very hit & miss as to it's shape in relation to the bins:doh:, Steve.

i could not agree more, if I did not get mine free from Leica (at least 2 sets of fronts a year!) I would kick up a stink about it. But as they are FOC just email the Mayfair store when they are looking ropey and the new set should be with you in under a week.

Back