Thread: One for the chicken keepers.

One for the chicken keepers.

Last September I bought some young chickens to go with the five I already had.
    In turn two turned out to be Cockerels so they had to go and everything was fine ... until now!
    Suddenly we have some crowing coming from the henhouse! These new birds are approximately eights/nine months old and one has picked up a Cockerel trait. None of them have spurs, the tail feathers appear to have rounded ends and none of them strut around like a Cockerel. I`ve read that chickens (amongst other birds can have a false sex change)
    My question is will it stop crowing in time or is this a permanent thing cause if it is then it`s another that will have to go.
    https://www.justgiving.com/John-Slee/
    "He who kills sow with piglets empties the forest of boar" My neighbours dad on new years eve 2011.

Had similar birds, mine always crowed but still laid eggs well. I suppose being PC (which I am not) one could say it's showing Gay tendencies although carrying out female functions.
    Honour all men, Love the Brotherhood, Fear God, Honour the Queen.

Keep the Faith.

Berkshire then Dorset now Herefordshire with a good dose of Dorset
    Blog Entries
    View my Gallery (15)View my Gallery (15)
    Google is your answer.
    Supposedly it's a dominance thing.
    Even if you get rid there's nothing to stop another doing it.
    “Man surprised me most about humanity. Because he sacrifices his health in order to make money.Then he sacrifices money to recuperate his health. And then he is so anxious about the future that he does not enjoy the present; the result being that he does not live in the present or the future; he lives as if he is never going to die, and then dies having never really lived.”........Dalai Lama

Do they crow 'any cock ado' rather than 'cock a doodle do'?

Was given a bunch that decided they wanted to call in the morning, shame they did not have much meat on 'em.

Killed and boiled !

Had this happen a few times, often at second moult,after pol's have already started laying . The new feathers can come in male type , ie pinned hackle type on neck and body and rooster type tails , goes with the crowing. often this is accompanied by a cessation of egg production and adopting full male characteristics, even slightly larger spurs and enlarged comb.
    I assumed it was a hermaphrodite leaning towards male. No real idea if it is a sex change per say, but cooks up well enough.

Whistling women and crowing hens

Are no good for beasts nor men

Quote Originally Posted by pitiliedon View Post
    Had this happen a few times, often at second moult,after pol's have already started laying . The new feathers can come in male type , ie pinned hackle type on neck and body and rooster type tails , goes with the crowing. often this is accompanied by a cessation of egg production and adopting full male characteristics, even slightly larger spurs and enlarged comb.
    I assumed it was a hermaphrodite leaning towards male. No real idea if it is a sex change per say, but cooks up well enough.
    Already moulted, (Will post photo of the bird that I think it is) rounded tail feathers, no spurs, no male characteristics apart from the crowing. Google says they don`t change sex, if it stops the crowing she/he/it can stay, I`m not bothered about one bird out of twelve not laying.
    https://www.justgiving.com/John-Slee/
    "He who kills sow with piglets empties the forest of boar" My neighbours dad on new years eve 2011.