Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Nosler E-tip?

Nosler E-tip?

Anyone used the nosler e-tip lead free bullets? I'm particularly interested in how much cacass damage they do and whether they have good 'knock down'.

also I'd be using them in .308, I currently have a very good load with 168gr BST bullets so should I drop down to 150gr in these? (Have heard this is the case as the lead free bullets are longer).

Yes I am using 150 gr E-tip in .308, and they seem to work just fine. I like them a bit better than Barnes so far as they do not cause copper fouling as they are made of gilding metal. I have not had a chance to shoot that many deer yet, but the ones shot dropped as well or better than other bullets. It is important to try to shoot lighter and faster with lead free. The penetration is not a problem, they will exit regardless of what they hit, but higher velocities get the expansion working.

If you check the Nosler website in the forum section, there are etip bullet tests. Look under the bullet test heading under Board index. Not sure if you'll find exactly what you want, but also in the reloading section you can find views from forum members of their results under actual use conditions.
    Last edited by deeangeo; 12-03-2016 at 17:19.
    Blaser K95 Luxus Kipplaufbüchse .25-06Rem. Zeiss 8x56, 110gn Nosler Accubond = Game Over!

Quote Originally Posted by deeangeo View Post
    If you check the Nosler website in the forum section, there are etip bullet tests. Look under the bullet test heading under Board index. Not sure if you'll find exactly what you want, but also in the reloading section you can find views from forum members of their results under actual use conditions.
    Thank you, I will do!

I think I've got some in .257 if you want to try them in the 25.06?

Quote Originally Posted by Monkey Spanker View Post
    I think I've got some in .257 if you want to try them in the 25.06?
    Thanks MS, I appreciate the thought. I'm content using the Nosler 110AB's. Excellent for my purposes.
    The only thing I'm looking at just now is the new range of IMR propellants for easier metering. IMR7977
    Cheers, d.
    Last edited by deeangeo; 13-03-2016 at 08:40.
    Blaser K95 Luxus Kipplaufbüchse .25-06Rem. Zeiss 8x56, 110gn Nosler Accubond = Game Over!

Quote Originally Posted by palmer_mike View Post
    Anyone used the nosler e-tip lead free bullets? I'm particularly interested in how much cacass damage they do and whether they have good 'knock down'.

also I'd be using them in .308, I currently have a very good load with 168gr BST bullets so should I drop down to 150gr in these? (Have heard this is the case as the lead free bullets are longer).
    I've used 150gr E-Tip in 308 for the last year or so. Like ww said seems to work at least as good than others.

My MV is 880m/s and shots on whitetail (similar size to fallow) give some blood on the flanks but it's not real bloodshot meat the blood is removed easily. Other thing, I find monolithic bullet that stays together (previously I've also used them at such velocity they don't stay together) is more forgiving when shot near spine or too far back. Frangible bullet would e.g. break diaphragm but monolithic saves the day.

Regarding velocity and expansion, I've shot a fox at 200m (MV was 850m/s then) so terminal velocity was 720m/s and the bullet definitely expanded.

Mike, from what I have heard so far, and I have been doing a bit of digging, you are likely to get a better result in a .308 with 130 grain copper bullets. MV is about 3000 fps from a 20 inch barrel, you don't need any more weight as everything exits - penetration is not an issue. No idea if Nosler make them in the ETip but Barnes make it in the TTSX. Funny things these copper bullets, driven quickly they work exceptionally well, but driven too slowly people report that deer will run a long way. Neck shots tricky as no margin for error due to lack of fragmentation.
    So much to learn and so little time left

I had trouble getting the Barnes 130 gr. TTSX, that is why I am using E-tip 150's in the first place. My experience is that copper in 150 gr. is okay, but yes do get it going as fast as you can. It would be just great if the perfect specification were possible and could be replicated all the time. Unfortunately in the UK the supply of reloading components is so limited, one has to find something and work with it.

Quote Originally Posted by western woodsman View Post
    I had trouble getting the Barnes 130 gr. TTSX, that is why I am using E-tip 150's in the first place. My experience is that copper in 150 gr. is okay, but yes do get it going as fast as you can. It would be just great if the perfect specification were possible and could be replicated all the time. Unfortunately in the UK the supply of reloading components is so limited, one has to find something and work with it.
    Quite agree, supply over here is very poor. I have given up trying to find things locally. I have done a deal with the local RFD and order from Reloading Solutions, delivery to him. When you know what works, keep plenty of it on stock yourself.
    So much to learn and so little time left