Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Muntjac with shotgun pellet damage

Oxfordshire, Wiltshire, Berkshire....and Sutherland
    View my Gallery (19)View my Gallery (19)

Muntjac with shotgun pellet damage

I was out last weekend and shot a muntjac doe at last light.

Skinning it in the larder I went to check the teeth for aging purposes and saw something unusual.

I boiled and prep'd the jaw today and this is what I found:

I originally wondered whether it could have picked up the shot when eating grain from the pheasant feeders and cracked the tooth that way, but looking at it here it appears the shot entered from the jaw externally, cracked the tooth and then lodged in the gap created.

The doe was quite happily feeding as it came across the field towards me from the boundary and I'm not sure how advanced a muntjac's dental nervous system is to say whether it would have been in pain.

The rest of the animal was fine, with no abnormality in the lymph nodes.
    O wad some Power the giftie gie us to see oursels as ithers see us!

Poor animal!

What size shot would you guess it was?

Were there signs of other shotgun injuries or just the one in the tooth?

Oxfordshire, Wiltshire, Berkshire....and Sutherland
    View my Gallery (19)View my Gallery (19)
    Can't really say for sure without removing it, but I'd estimate somewhere between 3.5mm and 4mm in diameter, so 2's, B's or BB's.

No other apparent damage - checked the skin for perforations but none to be seen. It looked like the damage to the teeth was some time ago, as the gum looked fine.
    O wad some Power the giftie gie us to see oursels as ithers see us!

Quote Originally Posted by willie_gunn View Post
    Can't really say for sure without removing it, but I'd estimate somewhere between 3.5mm and 4mm in diameter, so 2's, B's or BB's.
    So probably someone who set out to shoot muntjac with a shotgun, rather then an 'opportunistic' shot.

I had one a couple of years ago an old buck with 2 different sizes of shot in its backside, just under the skin so next to no penetration at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Oh6 View Post
    So probably someone who set out to shoot muntjac with a shotgun, rather then an 'opportunistic' shot.
    Or someone after a fox, the deer was in the adjacent undergrowth and picked up a stray pellet? If that was the only pellet to be found in the carcass, the shooter would have to be very poor with a shotgun, or incredibly skilled to get just one in the deer?

Quote Originally Posted by Bandit Country View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Oh6 View Post
    Or someone after a fox, the deer was in the adjacent undergrowth and picked up a stray pellet? If that was the only pellet to be found in the carcass, the shooter would have to be very poor with a shotgun, or incredibly skilled to get just one in the deer?
    As I said, probably

no surprise there the very first muntjac I ever saw was shot by a keeper on a vermin shoot he just said its vermin and I don't want them on this estate that was with a shotgun over 20 years ago . I wonder how many more he killed ?

Not suprised. It angers me how this behaviour seems to be accepted and tolerated amongst non stalkers.
    We need to stamp this out!
    A recent article in BASC magazine didnt help! Someone asked if they could shoot deer with a shotgun and the response was a tad misleading in my opinion

Here you go......
    Ok so the facts are right but not a clinical enough answer for those "not aware" in my opinion