Thread: Mist and letting Deer walk on

Mist and letting Deer walk on

Out this morning at sparrows, lots of mist down.
    Came across a small herd of 4 fallow not far into the stalk maybe 60yds away broadside on but mist was so thick I couldn't see more than 10yds beyond them.
    There is a solid backstop (hillside) there but it's maybe 150yds on and who knows what could be between the animal and it - joggers, other animals.

So, after watching and deliberating for a few minutes I decided to let them go on their way.
    Saw bugger all else the rest of the morning but think I made the right call. Shot would probably have been ok 99 out of 100 but I don't think it's worth the risk.

+1,you made the right call in my book,plenty more Deer.
    Dont want to be sat in that court waiting room thinking "if only"!!

>> I decided to let them go on their way <<

Good call.

It was snowing hard during my DSC1 Safety Assessment. There's a deer silhouette, broadside on and about 60 yards down a ride.

"Are you going to shoot it?" "Well, I'd need to be a bit more sure of my backstop."

Then the snow cleared a bit and there, running right across my line of shot 300 yards away was ... the M25 motorway !

Quote Originally Posted by Milligan View Post
    Out this morning at sparrows, lots of mist down.
    Came across a small herd of 4 fallow not far into the stalk maybe 60yds away broadside on but mist was so thick I couldn't see more than 10yds beyond them.
    There is a solid backstop (hillside) there but it's maybe 150yds on and who knows what could be between the animal and it - joggers, other animals.

So, after watching and deliberating for a few minutes I decided to let them go on their way.
    Saw bugger all else the rest of the morning but think I made the right call. Shot would probably have been ok 99 out of 100 but I don't think it's worth the risk.
    Good call! In those circumstances I would have made the same decision as you as I have a fixed belief that I always stick with - If there's the slightest doubt the rifle doesn't get shouldered.

Oxfordshire, Wiltshire, Berkshire....and Sutherland
    View my Gallery (19)View my Gallery (19)
    Out this morning and a muntjac Buck appeared. It was on the brow of a hill so was left, but it then came towards me, now with the far side of the valley behind it. I shouldered the rifle but with the mist I couldn't be 100% confident of what might be between the buck and the far side of the valley. It approached the woodland edge, saw me (or more likely the black lab) and disappeared, only to reappear two minutes later on the downward slope. Now with a solid backstop I neck shot it.

Looking over the small valley the first shot would have been fine, but there's no deer on this green earth that's worthy of a shot you're not 100% happy about.

Interetingly I read this article yesterday in my local paper: Mum of two left shaken after deer hunting accident saw bullet shoot through her window in Woodstock (From Oxford Mail)

My guess is that this may well be a case of "there but for the grace of God".
    O wad some Power the giftie gie us to see oursels as ithers see us!

Just read that article, it sends shivers up your spine. There is another thread running at the moment on backstops and it just shows the importance of them and the terrain your shooting on ie flinty ground etc.