Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Bolt action or straight pull.

Bolt action or straight pull.

Good Evening all,

I am in the market for a new rifle this spring/summer. I just wondered what you lot think I should get, it will probably be in a .30-06 and be used for boar abroad probably every other year or two years and on the deer once or twice a week roughly through the season. Would you recommend a straight pull rifle or say a custom or semi custom built bolt action. What are all your thoughts.

Bolt action must be quieter than straight pull.

I haven't taken to straight pull yet , but for return to zero and take down generally it'll be a blaser in straight pull

If your after return to zero and take down rifle don't dismiss the Mauser M03 which is a turn bolt / bolt action

both are made it the same factory and are generally regarded as the best you can get

Quote Originally Posted by JTO View Post
    Bolt action must be quieter than straight pull.
    I think you are right if you are cycling fast. However the only time I can think noise would alert your quarry and make any difference when in actual use would be chambering a round post obstacle manoeuvre or when you have just stalked in and settled into your high seat. I am always still in ultra slow motion mode then, so it is done very gently and quietly.

Alan

p.s. In answer to the OP's original query though, best thing is to try and handle everything you can to see if it suits you and your proposed usage. Ivythorne and Sportsman would be a good start and in your general area i.e. down a bit and left a bit.
    Last edited by Alantoo; 12-03-2016 at 21:00.

Quote Originally Posted by Markfox View Post
    I haven't taken to straight pull yet , but for return to zero and take down generally it'll be a blaser in straight pull

If your after return to zero and take down rifle don't dismiss the Mauser M03 which is a turn bolt / bolt action

both are made it the same factory and are generally regarded as the best you can get
    Never seen an M03, so will have to try and have a look. Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by Alantoo View Post
    I think you are right if you are cycling fast. However the only time I can think noise would alert your quarry and make any difference when in actual use would be chambering a round post obstacle manoeuvre or when you have just stalked in and settled into your high seat. I am always still in ultra slow motion mode then, so it is done very gently and quietly.

Alan

p.s. In answer to the OP's original query though, best thing is to try and handle everything you can to see if it suits you and your proposed usage. Ivythorne and Sportsman would be a good start and in your general area i.e. down a bit and left a bit.
    Never been ivythorn, but only hear good things about the chap up there so I think that will be a good place to start.

You should buy the rifle you feel most comfortable with and suits your purpose best. You dont say what your budget is, nor whether used or new, but there are some very good used rifles out there.

While We all have our personal preferences, mine have been for light weight and ease of handling. So, if your leaning is in that direction, the Sako Finnlite or Steyr may be the way to look. If somewhat weightier is your preference and you have the spending power, Blaser, Mauser....and from what I've seen of the new range of Shultz & Larsen , they look a damn good option, easily dismantled and very good interchangeability. Well worth considering.

My view is neither straight nor turn bolt is better than the other. But, it's probably easier to come to terms with a turn bolt. And, although I have a liking for the Blaser range, a turnbolt is likely to be easier on the wallet.
    Blaser K95 Luxus Kipplaufbüchse .25-06Rem. Zeiss 8x56, 110gn Nosler Accubond = Game Over!

Quote Originally Posted by Shadrach2986 View Post
    Never been ivythorn, but only hear good things about the chap up there so I think that will be a good place to start.
    Steve at Ivythorn will point you in the right direction and has a range so you can try a few out. As deeangeo says it's all down to budget and what your wanting to do.

Are you getting new glass too? As always and most defiantly not teaching you to suck eggs but if you've got the cash invest in the best glass you possibly can...

If your on a road trip east up the 303 I'd highly recommend Greenfields in Salisbury for a deal....
    Last edited by White Hart; 13-03-2016 at 10:45.
    “Go afield with a good attitude, with respect for the wildlife you hunt and for the forest and fields in which you walk. Immerse yourself in the outdoor experience. It will cleanse your soul and make you a better person.”
    –Fred Bear -

Just remember that the Blaser is not the only straight pull and it was not the first .............................. not by a long chalk. Plus not all straight pull actions are noisey. Mauser, Heym, Mannlicher, Merkel to mention afew that popped up on a quick search.

Quote Originally Posted by Shadrach2986 View Post
    Good Evening all,

I am in the market for a new rifle this spring/summer. I just wondered what you lot think I should get, it will probably be in a .30-06 and be used for boar abroad probably every other year or two years and on the deer once or twice a week roughly through the season. Would you recommend a straight pull rifle or say a custom or semi custom built bolt action. What are all your thoughts.
    My recommendation is to try as many types as you can then make an informed decision as to what suits YOU!