Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is a Pecar Berlin 4-10 scope worth anything

Is a Pecar Berlin 4-10 scope worth anything

I have been given a Percar Berlin 4-10 German by a friend, its been through the wars as the outside is showing signs of rust. However it still works fine and is optically very good. I'm thinking of sticking it on ebay. I have no idea given its condition if it is worth anything, if I had not looked through it and noticed how good the optics were I might of discarded it. I know there's plenty of knowledge on here, can anyone help ?

Regards Oli
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_5889.JPG   IMG_5890.JPG   IMG_5891.JPG   IMG_5892.JPG   IMG_5894.JPG  

Established Poster
    http://www.helstongunsmiths.com/defa...4+01%3A33%3A42

If it's still good optics then you might be onto a winner !

SD Regular
    There's a fetish for some, with good usable Pecar glass, not unsurprisingly either. I've a contemporaneous 3x36 Pecar on my Brno Model 5 in P-Hale ARB2 mounts.

It was good quality glass and still very usuable.

But! The big but is that some is moving reticule and unless you have windage adjustable mounts they are just not worth it. Second big but is that some are 26mm tubes and, again, unless you have 26mm rings you can't in truth fit them for if you use a 1" ring you'll risk "crimping" the tube.

So the desirable ones are the late ones. Self centering reticule (image moving like a modern day 'scope) and 1" tube. Yours 4-10 is possible THE 'scope that Parker Hale or Enfield fitted to the Enfield Enforcer "sniper rifles" (for want of a better word) that were supplied by them or another to British Police in the 1970s.

http://www.amstevens.fsnet.co.uk/History.htm

Especially as yours in the picture does seem to in fact have the correct P-Hale mounts on it. So I think that you have done well.

That in itself if it is such makes it in fact very desirable on eBay. Me I would give you 2p for it...but if I had an Enfield Envoy I'g give rather a lot...200 plus if all is OK internally and it works. The outside rust is minor. It's sortable outable.

Hope it helps. A heading on any eBay listing using keywords of "Parker Hale Enfield Envoy Enforcer Sniper Rifle Pecar Telescopic Sight" will be spotted out by the buyers! But...beware overseas buyers in Canada...the stuff gets stuck in Canada Customs for months! Avoid!
    Last edited by enfieldspares; 13-03-2016 at 15:44.

It is dead simple to tell the moving image versions as they have the dot in the centre of the circle stamped on the saddle of the turret mount and usually Champion on the occular housing. The ones with just the dot are the moving crosshair type. Pecar also made 1" tubed scopes and 26mm tubed scopes so you have to measure the scope body tube when selecting mounts. I was lucky to be given a 4x36 Pecar Champion some years ago by a friend this one has a 1" tube and better still a duplex cross hair.

Quote Originally Posted by Conure View Post
    It is dead simple to tell the moving image versions as they have the dot in the centre of the circle stamped on the saddle of the turret mount and usually Champion on the occular housing. The ones with just the dot are the moving crosshair type. Pecar also made 1" tubed scopes and 26mm tubed scopes so you have to measure the scope body tube when selecting mounts. I was lucky to be given a 4x36 Pecar Champion some years ago by a friend this one has a 1" tube and better still a duplex cross hair.
    I assume this a standard, none image moving type as there is just a white dot on the saddles and champion is not written on ocular housing.

Quote Originally Posted by Oli223 View Post
    I assume this a standard, none image moving type as there is just a white dot on the saddles and champion is not written on ocular housing.
    I am no expert on them but that seems likely to be the case. One way to check of course would be to adjust the elevation while looking trough the scope if the cross hairs move you have confirmed it. As I see in the phot that yours has P-H rings on it have a look at their marking as that will tell you what size tube it is. RAHS.4 would be 26mm and RAHS.3 would be 1".

SD Regular
    What Conure says re mounts. But, of course, it is not unknown for 'scopes to be mismatched to mounts either way 26mm in 1" rings and vice-versa.

If the rings are 26mm and the tube is 26mm SO BOTH CORRECT then they should just drop completely around the 'scope tube and bot have any need to force it down upon it by thumb pressure.

If the rings are 1" (25.4mm) and the tube is 26mm then they will not drop completely around the 'scope tube and but would to be forced it down upon it by thumb pressure.

That's usually a good rule of thumb.

But...if the rings are 26mm and the tube is 1" (25.4mm) then they will also drop completely around the 'scope tube as they are, of course, oversize.

If you use the internet 'way back' search facility you can still see the Pecar website. Or any other as long as you have the original address as it won't search just a name. Bother!

Internet Archive: Wayback Machine

The Pecar website was: www.pecar
    -berlin.de

So enter that address into the 'way back' website search facility and there you go. Click on the blue dot over the calender dates. Here's one I've done for the internet challenged.

http://web.archive.org/web/200104211...car-berlin.de/

And I'd bet not even Brithunter knew that! Mind there's some that think that Brithunter is back under another name...that, like Voldemort, or Jacques Mesrine, or Faceman in "The A Team" that he has many names, many faces...who knows...will we ever know...like Spartacus maybe where they ALL say they are he...

Be that as it I'd bet that no-one ever saw one of these in the UK. I didn't.

Attachment 67774
    Last edited by enfieldspares; 13-03-2016 at 18:55.

Interesting and thank you I had a quick peek at the Pecar site via you put the link up for and see that I was told wrong about the Pecar Champion scope I was given. He said it was a 4x36 but I see that it is a 4x35. What is odd is that mine has a duplex reticle (cross hair) and I do not see that listed as one of those offered. Would you happen to know if Pecar offered an American Duplex type cross hair?

This 4x35 came with Parker-Hale RAHS.3 rings on it and wanted to find out what the markings meant so did a little search and found the answer on this very site:..

http://www.thestalkingdirectory.co.u...Reference-List

That was simply by using Google.

SD Regular
    I've seen one with a USA "duplex" type. Yes. image moving too.

Thanks for help and suggestions, it's worth trying to sell then. Is it possible to refinish the outside as I'm sure the slight rust will put buyers off. If not will just stick it on starting bid of 60

regards