Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Which .22lr

Which .22lr

I'm looking at getting a .22lr. Just looking for some advice on a good gun to get and a good scope to choose will have a mod aswell.
    Im not to keen on the thumb hole stocks either.
    I'm getting a browning t-bolt in .17hmr.

Buy the best one you can afford because the LR will be something you'll never sell if you get it right first time IMHO.

I have an Anschutz 1417 with a S&B 8x56 on top (don't have any issues with the set parallax) and it is superb, although I note you're not a fan of thumbholes - Anschutz do standard stocked .22LR's - other good ones would be Weihrauch, original Sako Finnfire, Sako Quad (have both barrels on one chassis) and CZ - all great out the box.

And just get as good glass as you can afford too - it'll always hold it's value and won't leave you wanting at last light on them bunnies
    For Gods sake - don't tell her how much I've spent

Ctrl-Alt FACT

I was looking at the anschutz rifles and seriously thinking about one.
    What are the weihrauch rifles like? Seen them but not herd of many.
    I was thinking about a t-bolt .22 aswell but fancy having a different make.

Just bought a ruger 10/22 target tactical (see youtube for clips/reviews). It has an small 40 atec moderator and comes with a little budget bi-pod. I put a hawke 6-24x44 scope on it with leupold rings.

Had a sighting/zero issue but easily resolved with a shim once i worked out the rail was out.

Only had it 2 weeks and and great fun - especially with 25 rnd magazines. Easy grouping 1 inch at 75m and clover leaf at 30m.

semi auto makes it fun too!

Happy shopping!

Quote Originally Posted by J0RD4N View Post
    I was looking at the anschutz rifles and seriously thinking about one.
    What are the weihrauch rifles like? Seen them but not herd of many.
    I was thinking about a t-bolt .22 aswell but fancy having a different make.
    HW66 Production - beautiful bit of kit
    For Gods sake - don't tell her how much I've spent

Ctrl-Alt FACT

Thanks for the replies.
    I was just looking at the HW66 production on sportsmanguncentre it's a really nice looking rifle.

Depends on your budget but my personal preference would be for a original Sako Finfire , buy one and be happy for life.

Quote Originally Posted by unicorn71 View Post
    Depends on your budget but my personal preference would be for a original Sako Finfire , buy one and be happy for life.
    What year do the original finnfires start and finish at?
    Do you know if the finnfire II are any good?

Perhaps you might like to forget the T bolt or you could possibly regret it. Do a site search and you will find that one or two site members have not been entirely happy with theirs the main issue being a poor trigger. Personally I would consider a CZ instead and the same goes for the .22 rifle. Once again there has been no end of information posted by site members on the Brno/CZ rifles. The only slight problem with these rifles is a slightly heavy trigger as it comes from the box but that is easily and cheaply rectified and the end result is a good working rifle (not a work of art admittedly).

With regard to the Anschutz personally I think its a very nice rifle but there are a couple of issues with it when used out in the field that can cause a few problems. The first being bolt lift because the safety doesn't lock the bolt and the second being a tight target chamber that can require the use of a knife to remove unfired chambered rounds when using some ammunition. If you can live with this you will be very happy with one even if it is a fair bit more costly than a rough and ready CZ/Brno.
    It's the calibre of the shooter that counts not the calibre of the rifle.

I was looking at the CZ 455 American synthetic stock. Nice looking rifles and quiet high on my list.
    Do you know if cz's come threaded?
    Think a synthetic stock is better for me.