Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: clarification of a previous thread started by me

clarification of a previous thread started by me

I asked a question on here over a week ago but I didn't specify a great deal when asking the questions. Well here's another go at it, a little more about me I'm not a complete newbie to deer stalking iv been stalking roe on my own land for a couple of years now and iv been involved in vermin control/rifle shooting for a while. The part where I am a newbie is buying into stalking syndicates and paying for my stalking. Iv been offered 600 acres of stalking close to Grantham which has fallow on which I have seen with my own eyes and muntjac which I have not seen and to me a grand is a lot to part with. My main question is the land in question isn't a million miles from Marston is there anyone local who may know what the deer numbers in the area are and is it worth buying into the area. I was talking to a friend the other night who seemed to think that with there being a good number of large estates with commercial bird shoots on he said that deer numbers would be fewer where these where. There is such a shoot not far from the land if been offered could this be a problem? I'd like to thank those of you you who replied to my other post regards Ben

Thats not a huge amount of cash at all if the ground has habitat that brings fallow onto it in reasonable numbers.
    Deer Stalking. Training and Courses. Deer Stalking Certificate Level 1, Training and Witnessing for the Level 2 Assessment.
    www.deercentral.co.uk

Berkshire then Dorset now Herefordshire with a good dose of Dorset
    Blog Entries
    View my Gallery (15)View my Gallery (15)
    Some stalking now costs £7/acre to rent. So £1000 is cheap.
    20 years ago it was £1/acre

Now I know what you are thinking here. You're thinking will I get £1000 worth of venison off the place. Why else would you be talking about quantity of deer?
    What you have to think about is even if you did not get £1000 worth of venison back ( to pay for next years rent ) how much is it worth to you?
    Let's say you paid £250 and shot 1x deer. Is that too much? If yes then what about £100 for 1x deer. If you think that is right then do you think that if you shot 10x deer for £1000 that would be right?
    But what if you don't shoot 10x deer. You only shoot 6x but had a cracking time doing that. Is that worth £1000.

You can only take a punt in the 1st year and see how it goes. At the end of the year see if it was worth it and that might not be in financial gain.

As my father said to me once " Something is only a waste of money if YOU think it is. It does not matter how much it costs, if you have had £10,000 worth of enjoyment out of something that cost you £10,000 then it has been worth it. If you have had no enjoyment out of something that cost you £1 then it is a waste of money".

I like my dad.
    “Man surprised me most about humanity. Because he sacrifices his health in order to make money.Then he sacrifices money to recuperate his health. And then he is so anxious about the future that he does not enjoy the present; the result being that he does not live in the present or the future; he lives as if he is never going to die, and then dies having never really lived.”........Dalai Lama

I know that area quite well, the muntie numbers are rising as can be seen by the multiple casualties on the A46 , there are also Roe moving down from Newark and up from North Nottingham so I would be surprised if they are not present on this land, 1K is a lot of money but for exclusive access to 600 acres it's a price I would pay.

Quote Originally Posted by teyhan1 View Post
    Some stalking now costs £7/acre to rent. So £1000 is cheap.
    20 years ago it was £1/acre

Now I know what you are thinking here. You're thinking will I get £1000 worth of venison off the place. Why else would you be talking about quantity of deer?
    What you have to think about is even if you did not get £1000 worth of venison back ( to pay for next years rent ) how much is it worth to you?
    Let's say you paid £250 and shot 1x deer. Is that too much? If yes then what about £100 for 1x deer. If you think that is right then do you think that if you shot 10x deer for £1000 that would be right?
    But what if you don't shoot 10x deer. You only shoot 6x but had a cracking time doing that. Is that worth £1000.

You can only take a punt in the 1st year and see how it goes. At the end of the year see if it was worth it and that might not be in financial gain.

As my father said to me once " Something is only a waste of money if YOU think it is. It does not matter how much it costs, if you have had £10,000 worth of enjoyment out of something that cost you £10,000 then it has been worth it. If you have had no enjoyment out of something that cost you £1 then it is a waste of money".

I like my dad.
    excellent reply, I've just joined a syndicate for £600 a year , I've seen deer but grassed none,( yet, fingers crossed)

but I enjoy having the freedom to wander round with the rifle in the Scottish Borders and having the future opportunity to grass some in excellent surroundings,

to me , it's worth every penny ,

just enjoy ,

kjf

Sure I put this on the first thread lol

Good luck

Ben, it will cost you just over £2.74 a day for this lump of ground....take a chance. Bits of ground don't come up that often.
    People pay good money just to use a range, you will have loads of fun on there and the year will fly by.

Who dares wins Rodders...

Good luck

Tim.243
    Stalking is very much like going to the night club

You can always tell an Essex Boy, just you cant tell him much...

An hour in the field is worth a week of typing trash.....

If that was a scenario close to me I'd pay that quite happily and if I had 6 deer off it per year I'd be no worse off than I am now and you have the freedom to come and go as you please

you could take a few people out paid stalking per year also if you wanted too it'd bring the cost down

pay a grand see how it goes for a year ,

I would get my finger out (and cash) and get it sorted before you end up posting " I nearly had my own permission " ..your in a position that a thousand stalkers would bite your leg off to be in ...

Why does it seem stalking is the only hobby that people expect to pay for its self? I'm not saying that's what the OP is getting at, but you seem to see plenty of people asking "will I shoot enough deer to make my money back?"
    You never see on pheasant syndicates people asking if they will sell enough pheasants to cover the years cost, and fox shooting will never see you get a penny return. Same with motorbikes, fishing, golf anything really.
    Can people not just pay money and enjoy the day rather than bag numbers and making a profit?
    Just curious really.

Cheers owain.

Get your priorities right Ben, do you want to go stalking or save money I'm afraid the two don't go together. If you are looing to recoup some of the costs via venison sales, letting a few days all well and good but that should be considered a bonus. Like others have said this is your hobby, an enjoyable pastime in your spare time, and hobbies have to be paid for. The money for the exclusive rights to that ground is cheap, go for it and enjoy yourself.

John
    A clever man knows his strengths, a wise man knows his weaknesses