Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What mounts are these?

What mounts are these?

Can anyone tell me what make of mounts these are please? I think perhaps they allow lateral adjustment via the rear flat head screws? Perhaps not, but if they do- how? On a Ron Wharton .275.
    thanks
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails image.jpg  

I think they are lift off / swing off mounts but could be wrong

maybe made by recknagel

as you can tell I am thoroughly knowledgeable on old mounts lol

They look like Burris or Leupold.

Ian.

SD Regular
    As Whitebeard says, bog standard, Redfield 'turn in' patent. Maker could be Leupold or host of others that copied the Redfield patent after it lapsed. Yes there is some lateral movement on the rear screws that can adjust windage. But it also means 'scope is really only anchored at the front to any true degree.
    Last edited by enfieldspares; 14-03-2016 at 03:32.

Quote Originally Posted by enfieldspares View Post
    As Whitebeard says, bog standard, Redfield 'turn in' patent. Maker could be Leupold or host of others that copied the Redfield patent after it lapsed. Yes there is some lateral movement on the rear screws that can adjust windage. But it also means 'scope is really only anchored at the front to any true degree.

Spot on IMHO

+1 on Redfield/Leupold - I've had a couple of rifles with them on - Quite liked the windage adjustment feature particularly when using a non-centered reticle Pecar scope or if the receiver mounting holes on a receiver were drilled out of centre.
    Although the rear adjustment /fixing screw system looks flimsy - it isn't & they never came loose or gave a second's trouble. They are strong mounts with a nice smooth outline with nothing to snag or wear clothing, are solid steel but due to the sculpturing they weigh very little. Very nice rings for a classic rifle!

Ian

+2 Redfield/Leupold.
    It's the calibre of the shooter that counts not the calibre of the rifle.

Thank you all. That's right- the front mount slots into its base and then turns 90 degrees to lock into position. The mount's rear adjustment feature might explain why I have had to adjust the scopes own lateral adjustment further than I would have thought to achieve zero (and I'm not sure how to find the mounts lateral centre point). Now I have that sorted I would like to leave it zeroed- hopefully no problem is created with crossover or similar at points other than exact zero range?
    Presumably the rear mount is adjusted laterally by proportionate tightening of one side screw and slackening the other? To fix in position I simply need to make sure both side screws are tight?
    P.S. I can't see any makers mark so could be any of the above brands.

defo redfield

(rather than Leupold, Leupold acquired them in 2008 but those are pre acquisition, in my opinion redfield materials and quality is higher on earlier pieces)

but never mind that show us the rest of that Mauser!

Not great photos- don't really do the rifle justice, but as requested! Too shiny- I had just oiled the woodwork when these were taken. Lovely classic rifle and very accurate indeed with Seller and Bellot 7x57 140Gn. Lucky- because they also suit my Ruger and are only 20 a box.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_3111.jpg   IMG_3114.jpg   IMG_3113.jpg   IMG_3084.jpg