Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 6mm 223 aka 6 x 45

6mm 223 aka 6 x 45

Does anybody have any experience with this wildcat cartridge?

I am toying with the idea of having my 223 Remington Model 7 rebarreled in this caliber with a 1:8 twist so that I can use the heavier end of the 6mm bullet line up.

I believe it's only one pass through a resizing die to neck the 223 case up to 6mm.

Cheers

Bilbo

What would you intend to use it for Bilbo?

It don't think it make 1700ft/lb so would be restricted to small deer (muntjac + CWD in England and Wales plus roe in Scotland) where as a .223 can be used anyway. It wouldn't be as flat shooting as a .223rem so arguably less suitable for foxes other than at close range.

Nice idea and probably very nice to shoot but is it worth the expense and trouble just to have something different? You will be stuck with a wildcat that nobody makes factory ammo for so less saleable when you get bored with it and want to sell it on.
    It's the calibre of the shooter that counts not the calibre of the rifle.

takbok is building one

What does he intend to use it for Brewsher, and what is his reasoning behind the build?

Quote Originally Posted by 8x57 View Post
    What does he intend to use it for Bewsher, and what is his reasoning behind the build?

He is the right side of the border to use sensible calibre/cartridges on roe (i.e. north!)
    its just a nice 6mm/.223 for deer with a few more bullet options I guess..something different

I was researching a 6x47 Rem, same principle but on the larger .222 Magnum cartridge.
    If I can find a 6mm bore Handi Rifle barrel I will consider it, I already have a .222 handi

Quote Originally Posted by Bilbo View Post
    Does anybody have any experience with this wildcat cartridge?

I am toying with the idea of having my 223 Remington Model 7 rebarreled in this caliber with a 1:8 twist so that I can use the heavier end of the 6mm bullet line up.

I believe it's only one pass through a resizing die to neck the 223 case up to 6mm.

Cheers

Bilbo
    Hi Bilbo

It's a 1:8 barrel I have.

I got my Hornady die set from Jon Dellar (JDR is his username) for £70ish. It's not much more for the redding or Forster dies. I have resized some 223 cases to make dummy rounds and it's a simple pass through the 6x45 die.

I did start a 6x45 post a few months back.

Cheers,

Rory

Quote Originally Posted by 8x57 View Post
    What does he intend to use it for Brewsher, and what is his reasoning behind the build?
    A bit more muzzle energy than a .223 with a very similar trajectory whilst using the same amount of powder. Shouldn't cost any more than a .223 to load for. Longer barrel life also, I think.

Main reason was that it was fun and different.

By the way, it hasn't been a wildcat for a while now. It's SAAMI approved.
    Last edited by takbok; 14-03-2016 at 13:02.

and as brewsher says you are the right side of the wall.

If I lived up your way or if the laws in our part of the U.K. were more sensible with regard to roe I think that I would be tempted too. It sounds like a nice cartridge for roe.

Thanks for the replies

The Remmy model 7 is my fox rifle and if while foxing a muntie comes along (within hours) then i'll take it as well.

The rifle currently has the factory barrel with the slower twist (Remington I think do a 1:12 and a 1:9 barrel for 223?). This rather reduces the available selection of bullets - 62 gr SS109s go through the target sideways.

So thinking of rebarreling (even if I stick to 223) with a 1:8 or faster to allow for 70-75gr or heavier. So my reasoning is if I am going to rebarrel then the only potential extra cost will be the cost of a reamer / feeler gauges (if headspace is different to 223 which it may not be) Oh and the dies. I already load for 6x47 Lapua 1:8 so have the heavier bullets already and shoot Civilian Service Rifle on occasions so endless supply of 223 brass.

Sadly I think the best in terms of ft / lbs is going to be circa 1575 -1600 e.g. 105gr @ 2600 fps

My son is turning 14 shortly which means he can do the beginners course with the NRA at Bisley. So my thinking is a low recoiling rifle with legs out to 600 yards for target - better bullet BC with the say Berger 105s will go a long way to improve the trajectory at slower speeds. see chart below

Give me a little longer, I will probably come up with a bunch of other dubious reasons....bottom line I think it would be something different and a bit of fun with the promise of a very accurate rifle.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	AR15_alternate_calibers.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	66.0 KB 
ID:	67817

Cheers Bilbo
    Last edited by Bilbo; 14-03-2016 at 18:32.

Quote Originally Posted by takbok View Post
    Hi Bilbo

It's a 1:8 barrel I have.

I got my Hornady die set from Jon Dellar (JDR is his username) for £70ish. It's not much more for the redding or Forster dies. I have resized some 223 cases to make dummy rounds and it's a simple pass through the 6x45 die.

I did start a 6x45 post a few months back.

Cheers,

Rory
    Thanks for your repy...just had a read of your "6x45 excitement" post. Did you source the reamer/gauges in the UK and are the Pacific Tool & Gauge?

Cheers Bilbo