Thread: Le Chameau Jameson boots - beware

Le Chameau Jameson boots - beware

First, let me clarify that I have been a very well pleased long term user of Le Chameau boots.

My old Mouflon Plus boots did about 12 years of hard beating and shooting before finally dying (cracked toe where the boot flexes) and although they had not started to leak, I thought it was time to retire them. This with only one solid wax up at the start of each season. Great boots.

My Le Chameau wellies (leather lined, full new style zip) must be 7 or 8 years old and, again, are a great product.

It was the passing away of the Mouflons that made me look around for something different and in getting older (as we all do) I was getting fed up with taking 15 minutes to lace up the Mouflons, zip on really inflexible (but very protective) ex Army goretex gaiters then, finally put on wax leggings.

Far too much of a faff so I thought I would make things easy and, having read a few reviews, on Black Friday (2015) I bought the Jameson GTX full zip leather boots.

Below are pictures of the toes after ONE DAY'S beating. Were these likely to last 12 years? I think not.

Then there was the sizing. The 43's were over generous and I was struggling with inserts and sokkets in order to stop foot-slide in the boot but, it's a bit like when someone else drives your car and the seat setting isn't just right, and I was never 100% comfortable in them.

Then there was the question of ankle support. I thought leather boot = ankle support? Wrong. Support is zero and I was lucky on a couple of occasions that I did not badly twist my ankle - or worse.

Finally, after 4 days shooting and beating use, I got the "is my foot damp" feeling and sure enough they had leaked! They are the only goretex product that I have ever owned that has ever leaked.

Straight back they went (and hats off to the retailers) I quickly received a full refund for faulty products and a new pair of beautifully supportive Hanwags took their place.

I've been told that the Jameson GTX boot is being / is about to be discontinued - so there may be a few pairs available as bargains.

In my experience I would recommend you steer well clear.
    Handle every stressful situation like a dog. If you can't eat it, hump it or learn from it then piss on it and walk away.

"HOSPITALITY" - the art of making guests feel at home (when you wish they were).

To be fair you aren't comparing apples with apples. It's the laces not the leather that gives support, the Jameson boots appear to be simply leather wellies.

Id id say you are lucky they leaked and allowed you to return them and get some good lace up boots.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Newcombe View Post
    ....Id id say you are lucky they leaked and allowed you to return them and get some good lace up boots...
    Definitely!
    Handle every stressful situation like a dog. If you can't eat it, hump it or learn from it then piss on it and walk away.

"HOSPITALITY" - the art of making guests feel at home (when you wish they were).

My LeChameau boots didn't last 12 weeks before they leaked and had to be returned, let alone twelve years. Utter rubbish.

I got six years good use from my Dubarry Wexford full length leather/goretex boots. They are the ones with the full length zip on the outside.

I bought them because of arthritic fingers and the problem of laces first thing in the morning.

As far as finish is concerned, they are a bit 'hairdresser-ish' and the brambles scratched them easily. First time out a bramble scratched them across the toe.

They stayed warm and waterproof until last year, when the left one started to leak, so I now wear Sealskinz socks and continue to use the boots.

Conversely, one of my stalking pals had two pairs that failed within months, so he has a very dim view of them.