Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 7x57 Bullet Choice

Oscillating between Chester and Berkshire

7x57 Bullet Choice

As a follow on from my previous thread about factory ammo...:

I am having ammunition made for me by a local RFD who provides this service; its a lot cheaper than most factory, and I've little interesting in handloading for myself at the moment.

I was wondering if anyone had any thoughts on bullets though, I have pretty free choice of anything that can be got in 7mm, but I have to order a 100 batch rather than just testing a few of different types. Obviously, price is a factor.

Ideally, I'd like to keep the same ammunition for everything from munties to reds, and potentially boar; although most of my stalking is likely to be Roe/Fallow/Muntjac/CWD for now.

I was thinking something in the 140-160 grain range would probably be about right? If I go to Africa or to shoot driven boar I could then get something a bit more special in 175grain. I'm currently looking at sierra and speer basic SP bullets. Will the relatively modest velocity of a 7x57 compared to most 7mm's be an issue here?

I use the Hornady 139 Gn BTSP in my 7x57 loaded to 2800fps. They also do a flat based 139 Gn SP which I prefer but could not get last time I needed them so ended up with the Boat Tailed ones. Despite being of the same weight they do not shot shoot the same with the same load I had to juggle the seating depth and set the bullets deeper to get the same grouping. It must be something to do with the Boat Tail methinks .

The Speer bullets should be fine but I have never used them in the 7mm. The Speer 120's worked well in the 6.5x55 so I cannot see why the Speer 140's wouldn't work in the 7x57.

the 120 and 140 sierra work well but the best results i have had is buying 123 rws ammo

SD Regular
    North yorkshire/sometimes down south and occasionally further north
    The 123 grain RWS ammo is very good stuff....a old friend of mine who is a commission ranger uses them for his stalking in the forest of dean, and i also used them when i had my 7x57. I found a homeload which shot exceptionally well and killed just as good....120grain nosler ballistic tips!!!...excellent for everything except the pigs!!....behind 50 something grains of H414.

Don't be fooled into thinking that because they are ballistic tips they will be too frangible!...that's not the case at all in the moderate velocity that the 7x57 allows,
    In a 7mm rem mag they might do some damage but not in the 7x57.
    If you are against BT's of any description (which many small minded and not so experienced people are)...you can look for 120 grain bullets in a softpoint and give them a go. I would steer away from the heavy stuff in this calibre simply for the fact that this is not a high velocity calibre....and therefore you won't get the right amount of expansion on the smaller species of deer to ensure a swift kill (experience has proved this which is why i use the more frangible and lighter bullets in my big calibres).

If you were consistently in pursuit of the big deer and the pigs...then take Brithunters advice and go with the 139 or 140's. They expand and kill well in the bigger animals.

regards
    steve

Quote Originally Posted by stephen magson View Post
    The 123 grain RWS ammo is very good stuff....a old friend of mine who is a commission ranger uses them for his stalking in the forest of dean, and i also used them when i had my 7x57. I found a homeload which shot exceptionally well and killed just as good....120grain nosler ballistic tips!!!...excellent for everything except the pigs!!....behind 50 something grains of H414.

Don't be fooled into thinking that because they are ballistic tips they will be too frangible!...that's not the case at all in the moderate velocity that the 7x57 allows,
    In a 7mm rem mag they might do some damage but not in the 7x57.
    If you are against BT's of any description (which many small minded and not so experienced people are)...you can look for 120 grain bullets in a softpoint and give them a go. I would steer away from the heavy stuff in this calibre simply for the fact that this is not a high velocity calibre....and therefore you won't get the right amount of expansion on the smaller species of deer to ensure a swift kill (experience has proved this which is why i use the more frangible and lighter bullets in my big calibres).

If you were consistently in pursuit of the big deer and the pigs...then take Brithunters advice and go with the 139 or 140's. They expand and kill well in the bigger animals.

regards
    steve
    Steve,

Couple of points;-

1) 7mm is not a big calibre in fact under the British terms it's a Small Bore

2) The various 173/5 grain bullets have proved themselves to be reliable in the 7mm Mauser unless you happen to mean the bonded core/jacket stuff meant for the magnums etc. The 175 grain RWS H-Mantle expands superbly in the 7mm Mauser thank you and even the Remington 175 grain bullets with their tiny lead tips showing were designed to open up and mushroom at 7mm Mauser velocities or so I am informed by the Remington techs .

3) Some people who do stalking for a living do not like the plastic tip bullets. The early Nosler ballitic Tips were very frangible and varible even in the way they opened up and were responsible for a lot of excessively mangled carcases. I have never experienced this personally only having uses the 165 grain .308 BT bullet on a few deer . You might want to re-think this statement:-

(which many small minded and not so experienced people are)
    Some very experienced guides/stalkers do not like the Ballitic Tips due to excessive carcase damage that they have seen first hand. My old stalking mentor was one and he had been stalking and guiding for some 45 years. At one time he was responsible for a Lords deer park in England and the overall running of the deer on the same Lords estate in Scotland so he has a bit of hands on experience .

The two classic bullet weights in the 7mm Mauser are the 173 grain and the 140 grain however some swear by the Speer 115 grain Hollow Point. A person I know has used it for years in Alaska and the US on deer, cariboo and bear to excellent effect. He has both a std 7mm mauser and his favorite since the 1960's a 7x300 Wildcat (.300 magnum necked down to 7mm)

i use 7mm08 with a pretty short barrel so my velocities are not very high. i am cerrently using sierra 120 gr prohunter. I have shot lots of deer with it very well. I have previously used speers 130 and 145s hotcor. both also are excellant on game performers, just a little less accurate in my rifle. My next experiment will be in hornadies 139gr interlock. If you are having the rifle made for you then you will get the maker to give you the twist rate and go for something he recomends, wieght wise, for the barrel. also Have him check for the right length with a hornady comparator... that way your loads should be really accurate almost straight away. 7 x 57 is a truly great round. I would go with one bullet that is good for the biggest and toughest thing and shoot everything with it... saves rezeroing. i have shot big reds with the all of the bullets listed above. all are good killers

Quote Originally Posted by 63 View Post
    As a follow on from my previous thread about factory ammo...:

I am having ammunition made for me by a local RFD who provides this service; its a lot cheaper than most factory, and I've little interesting in handloading for myself at the moment.

I was wondering if anyone had any thoughts on bullets though, I have pretty free choice of anything that can be got in 7mm, but I have to order a 100 batch rather than just testing a few of different types. Obviously, price is a factor.

Ideally, I'd like to keep the same ammunition for everything from munties to reds, and potentially boar; although most of my stalking is likely to be Roe/Fallow/Muntjac/CWD for now.

I was thinking something in the 140-160 grain range would probably be about right? If I go to Africa or to shoot driven boar I could then get something a bit more special in 175grain. I'm currently looking at sierra and speer basic SP bullets. Will the relatively modest velocity of a 7x57 compared to most 7mm's be an issue here?
    Hi,
    I'm new to this site. Looks Great. In reply to your above question.
    I use a 7x57 rifle for Red deer in the Brisbane Valley here in Australia. I use the RWS 154 grain Twin Core with great success on everything from Pigs to Red Stag. Accuracy in around .887". This projectile penetrates deeply, always gives an exit hole, and kills extremely quickly.
    It also leaves hair at the impact site if you happend to hunt with a good dog as I do.

Welcome to the site but please take the time to introduce yourself in the forum for just that.

Now may I ask what type/make of rifle in 7x57 do you use?

Thankyou Brithunter. I should probally rephrase my earlier comment, "I am new to any type of forum".
    I use a HEYM SN20, doulble set triggers, with a Pecar 3-7x35. Pecar number 5 retical. Approx velocity with the 154 Dual cores is about 2750 with Aussie powders. I have recently aquired an R93 Professional

Ahhh I recently sold both of my Pecar 3-7x35's as I found they were not working for me now with the vari focal specs shame but there it goes the old eyesight goes down the hil as we age. Yours sounds like a nice set up.