Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Adventures with my mouse gun

Adventures with my mouse gun

Just got to try the 243 out on the last fallow of the season.

for various reason the 243 has been mainly in the cabinet or on the zero range this season and I have not been able to use it much, in fact I should qualify this post by saying I have killed exactly three fallow deer with the calibre, all with 90 grain privi factory ammo.

it seems to leave a smaller exit with much less bleeding than the 3006, but they have (admittedly from a sample of three) not run as far, bizarrely.

These are are prickets and fawns we are talking about, not much of a challenge for either calibre, but it did get me wondering if the smaller faster bullet kills quicker ( once in and amongst the vitals) than the bigger slower calibre that prima facia, seems to do more damage?

any thoughts chaps?

my theory on this and it's only a theory is that a faster lighter bullet transfers more shock on impact so seems to kill quicker because of the temporary cavitation disturbing the nervous system , the caveat being that it also does enough fatal damage to kill though more traditional bloodloss etc whilst it is on the floor stunned which is why in my opinion if a deer is shot with a varmint bullet it will normally go down but it's not fatal , the shock but not the killing mechanicals if you see what I mean ?

larger bullets are normally slower but deliver the mechanical killing damage but with less 'shock' so appearing to kill slower ?

all just a theory
    Right where's those stones , I'll start !

I can't really add much to what Tack said well summed up mate
    Any Questions Feel Free to PM me

Quote Originally Posted by tackb View Post
    my theory on this and it's only a theory is that a faster lighter bullet transfers more shock on impact so seems to kill quicker because of the temporary cavitation disturbing the nervous system , the caveat being that it also does enough fatal damage to kill though more traditional bloodloss etc whilst it is on the floor stunned which is why in my opinion if a deer is shot with a varmint bullet it will normally go down but it's not fatal , the shock but not the killing mechanicals if you see what I mean ?

larger bullets are normally slower but deliver the mechanical killing damage but with less 'shock' so appearing to kill slower ?

all just a theory
    Yrah, I do get where you're coming from but I'm not talking about what our American friends call "bang-flops" where the things drops as if pole axed.

My question was more along the lines of damage to the heart and lungs, does it go up with velocity more so than calibre, in the experience of the panel.

my sample size is too small to draw any sensible conclusions from but having shot a fair few deer with the 3006, I could drone on at length about it's killing power on animals of various sizes, at various ranges, wi various bullet weight. I was hoping for something along those lines.

ah , ok

that is to do with bullet construction in my experience ? drive any bullet hard enough and it will act like a grenade eventually , I've found that at longer range I get perfect performance from a certain bullet but at less than 100 the same bullet doesn't penetrate as well but I don't worry because at a well rested shot inside 100m i'll most likely be head shooting (don't all get righteous on me and fetch the lynching rope!)

No rope and stones are a bit thin on the ground around here.

Quote Originally Posted by tackb View Post
    That's why everyone should have a 300wm in their cabinet!

delivering 180gr 30 cal at the same velocity as a 90gr .243......

puts the "flop" in "Bang flop"

Quote Originally Posted by bewsher500 View Post
    That's why everyone should have a 300wm in their cabinet!

delivering 180gr 30 cal at the same velocity as a 90gr .243......

puts the "flop" in "Bang flop"
    well yes I suppose 300wm will do although I prefer to deliver a 208g at 3250fps from my 300 Remington ultra mag , puts the 'mines bigger than yours' in the bang flop ������

I can push a 500gr@1850fps....so I've definitely got the bang
    Any Questions Feel Free to PM me

Quote Originally Posted by Greener Jim View Post
    I can push a 500gr@1850fps....so I've definitely got the bang
    Me too , that's what my 45/120 is for !