Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: .223 for Roe Deer advice.

.223 for Roe Deer advice.

Just inherited a CZ 527 Ebony Edition from an elderly Uncle who no longer shoots. Live in Scotland and was quite keen to have a go at the Roe with it, looking for advice from .223 users in Scotland, what are your experiences of using this calibre on Roe, I imagine there's less room for error (usually use a .308). What ammunition are you using, and any home loading advise regarding bullet choice and weight. Many thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Sako308 View Post
    Just inherited a CZ 527 Ebony Edition from an elderly Uncle who no longer shoots. Live in Scotland and was quite keen to have a go at the Roe with it, looking for advice from .223 users in Scotland, what are your experiences of using this calibre on Roe, I imagine there's less room for error (usually use a .308). What ammunition are you using, and any home loading advise regarding bullet choice and weight. Many thanks.

There is less room for error being that they are smaller targets....but the calibre is perfectly up to the job

I had the same concerns when I first started using .222 on roe
    Rumours of "pencilling rounds", "Lots of runners", "no knockdown power" etc etc
    Haven't looked back
    Big bucks, 200yd chest shots, they all fall over and the running is no worse, in my opinion significantly better than some other cartridge/bullet combinations

often from people who have never owned a .22 Cf or used on roe!

bullet choice is up to you, I settled on the heaviest/highest energy combination in a soft point
    60gr blitzes the 50gr option in energy downrange

IIRC the CZ is a 1:12" twist
    You should have no problem shooting flat base spitzer profiled bullets in the heavier category 55-60gr

lots of options for reloading including Nosler partitions (up to 60gr), Barnes TSX/TTSX (53gr), Sierra Gameking (55gr)

sounds like a lovely rifle with a fine history
    get some pictures up

Quote Originally Posted by bewsher500 View Post
    There is less room for error being that they are smaller targets....but the calibre is perfectly up to the job

I had the same concerns when I first started using .222 on roe
    Rumours of "pencilling rounds", "Lots of runners", "no knockdown power" etc etc
    Haven't looked back
    Big bucks, 200yd chest shots, they all fall over and the running is no worse, in my opinion significantly better than some other cartridge/bullet combinations

often from people who have never owned a .22 Cf or used on roe!

bullet choice is up to you, I settled on the heaviest/highest energy combination in a soft point
    60gr blitzes the 50gr option in energy downrange

IIRC the CZ is a 1:12" twist
    You should have no problem shooting flat base spitzer profiled bullets in the heavier category 55-60gr

lots of options for reloading including Nosler partitions (up to 60gr), Barnes TSX/TTSX (53gr), Sierra Gameking (55gr)

sounds like a lovely rifle with a fine history
    get some pictures up
    Interesting post, I wonder why the powers that be in England don't see it that way.
    CH

Its crazy seven miles more over and i could use my 223,but i have to use my 6,5,its stupid but its the law,
    DONT START

Quote Originally Posted by Cloudhopper View Post
    Interesting post, I wonder why the powers that be in England don't see it that way.
    CH

morons, what can I say!?

Perhaps as the roe deer stray south of the Cheviots they take on some kind of kevlar coating

Makes shooting ground that spans the border interesting!

I use my .223 on roe when I can.
    I use nosler 60gr ballistic tips. They pack a fair punch.
    I just try to be careful to not hit major bones such as shoulder/spine or it makes a big hole and damages a lot of meat.
    although no more damage than most other calibre's.

The only reason I don't use it all the time is because I usually take my .308 so I can shoot a red if the opportunity arises.

The wildlife control officers here use AR-15s in .223 Rem with Winchester 64-gr Power Point ammunition for whitetail deer and coyotes.

Barnes in a heavier bullet would seem a good choice.

But like the .243, shot placement and angle is more important than with a much larger bullet.

I have .223 and .308

For roe I would always prefer to use .223 (typically with 55grain soft point bullet).

With .223 there is less to aim off (elevation wise) and any meat damage is generally minimised.

Quietier all round and less recoil than .308, yet still plenty of stopping power for roe.

I've shot a significant amount of roe with a .222 and have found it to be an exemplary performer. I favour 50g bullets pushed with a stout charge of H322 and Norma cases.
    Accuracy is exemplary.

You will have no issues dropping roe with your .223

Thanks for the replies, looking forward to giving it a go, lovely lightweight rifle as well. Been lugging around my heavy .308 for years so the CZ will be a pleasure, no Reds round here so that's not an issue. The rifle has a 1:9" twist so will probably load some 62gr TTSX (use them in .308 and .270 and happy with the results). If I can't find those maybe 60gr Partitions. Will report back when I've had a chance to use it.