Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Range Day Ammunition?

Range Day Ammunition?

Okay so the importance of using the same ammunition to ensure consistency is obvious, and we use expanding ammunition for checking the zero and stalking.

If it is just a day on the range and rifle practice what sort of ammo do you use?

Iím hoping to join a rifle club soon and get some days on the range with my .243. So does anyone have any recommendations for ammunition that will give a reasonably close performance to say Federal V Shock 100 grain?

If I go to the range, as I do fairly often, I use the same ammunition I'd use in the field.

I've got a range day in a couple of weeks. The rws 150g sp bullets I use go from £1.65 to £2.25 each. I can't afford that on a range day, so I got from bisley yesterday 200 150g ex NATO bullets at 40 pence each. *I know the zero will be off but it's all about pratice at different ranges and firing positions. *I will use a few rws bullets too just so I know what they do a different ranges and of course a check zero. *

Cheers John*

Distinguished Member tartinjock's Avatar
    I was thinking the same, if I go to a BDS range day, what would I use? I have a .270 and .22-250, are FMJ bullets available for these calibers/cartridges and if so where from? Are they available as off the shelf ready to go or would they need to be bought and assembled using the same powder,OAL etc as home loaded stalking ammunition?

TJ
    Position and hold must be firm enough to support the firearm
    The firearm must point naturally at the target without any undue physical effort
    Sight alignment (aiming) must be correct
    The shot must be released and followed through without disturbing the position

I can see the arguement for using cheaper stuff for practice, and I agree the POI wouldn't matter, as you could re-zero. My worry would be buying 200rnds of ex-military 7.62 only to find it performed badly in my rifle.

GECO .308 I last bought at about £20 a box. Not cheap, but will shoot 1" for me.

Daula, Your right, that was in the back of my mind when I got them. I'm only going to be shooting at standard stalking ranges. My logic is as long as they perform consistantly badly it should be ok, I hope!

Quote Originally Posted by ScottC View Post
    Okay so the importance of using the same ammunition to ensure consistency is obvious, and we use expanding ammunition for checking the zero and stalking.

If it is just a day on the range and rifle practice what sort of ammo do you use?

I’m hoping to join a rifle club soon and get some days on the range with my .243. So does anyone have any recommendations for ammunition that will give a reasonably close performance to say Federal V Shock 100 grain?
    Scott, have you tried the Prvi Partizan available from Krank's? It's certainly more economical than Federal, and if it shoots ok in your rifle there's no need to chop and change ammo from range to field.
    Swapping brands can mess with your head.
    You can't say muntjac without saying, Mmmmmm.

Tarty, I think you may find your 22-250 may exceed the range template, depending on the range your using.
    (The Unspeakable In Pursuit Of The Uneatable.) " If I can help, I will help!." Former S.A.C.S. member!

I have been using Sierra Match Kings (142gr) in my 260 Rem at Castlelaw (400m) and Lothian & Borders Rifle Club (130 yds) recently. Haven't decided whether to go with 129 gr SP or 129 gr SST for red deer once the season starts. Rgds JCS

Distinguished Member tartinjock's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by finnbear270 View Post
    Tarty, I think you may find your 22-250 may exceed the range template, depending on the range your using.
    Never having done private range work, I'd never have thought about that, I assume it's a fps/muzzle velocity thing?

Yet again, every day is a school day on the SD.

TJ
    Position and hold must be firm enough to support the firearm
    The firearm must point naturally at the target without any undue physical effort
    Sight alignment (aiming) must be correct
    The shot must be released and followed through without disturbing the position