Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cz550 stutzen .308

Cz550 stutzen .308

What to do???

Evening all.

I own the above rifle, I bought it at a very good price, brand new about 4 years ago. For use solely on a syndicate I was a member of in the Scottish Borders.
    The rifle is lovely, but as I spend most of my time using moderated rifles, when I use this one I find it kicks hard and is hard to keep the scope on target on follow through.
    So I've been thinking, I would like to keep the larger caliber for use on reds or similar if I get the chance. But would I be better selling the rifle and buying another screw cut with a mod, or buying a sporter stock for the rifle I have and getting it screw cut???
    It seems a shame to almost butcher a nice rifle but at the same time I would not be able to buy another new cz550 for anything like what I paid for this one.
    What are your thoughts gents?

Cheers Owain.

Hi Owain,
    I have Sauer stutzen in 308 win and can fully understand where your coming from ,I asked myself all of the same questions . Only difference with our senario's was that I paid a quite a bit for mine and it was eratic in the accuracy department because of a forend issue. It was returned , fixed and I was sent the targets to prove it.
    Great now over me !!
    I too shoot other rifles with mods. But the 20" light weight, off the bench with a 180 gr can be a bit of a kicker.
    So here's what I would do in the short term assuming it groups .

1.Shoot the lighter weight bullet say 150gr (avoid the likes of the superformance) .
    2. Wear proper external ear defender even when hunting. ( you sounds a bit gun shy , I was)
    3. There definitely is a bit more recoil in these rifles but what I find most off putting is the blast, I avoid shooting prone or off the bench initially
    and lastly 4. If you haven't tried quad sticks give them a go. The viper sticks ( Hammond ) with a few simple modifications are great .
    I can shoot inch or better with 150gr fiocchi sst's at 100m. I used this rifle quite a bit this season and really enjoyed it .
    So much so I'm thinking of taking the mod off my other 308 in favour of the ear defenders. It's my go to rifle if weather is kind . Hope this helps.
    Last edited by huntsman; 15-03-2016 at 06:07.

Funnily enough I was toying with the idea of a similar rifle after seeing and handling a Stutzen single shot break barrel in 308 with a Simmons 1.25-4 this week for only 400.

I couldn't really justify it but I really wanted it. It was beautiful and handled just like a shotgun.

I shoot a Ruger M77 Mk2 Stutzen in .308 (170Gn) and I love it. Other than on the .243 I don't shoot my rifles moderated- I hate the clumsy balance, weight etc and they are just not needed (in my opinion!) for stalking (but they are helpful for range sessions etc). The Stutzen is very short, very light and very quick and pointable. No cumbersome bipod either. You wont notice the recoil firing one shot when actually stalking.

I have never had problems stalking, but I do occasionally have head scratching moments on the range when the vertical position of groups can change subject to hold (I think). I guess its a bit artificial shooting a Stutzen off a bench rest. Stick with it though and you will enjoy your stalking with a classic rifle.

Plastic stocks, big expensive scopes, bipods, big mods etc are all the rage these days and great news that is for the retail trade, but not much fun in the field compared to a nice stutzen. Then again, I shoot an old English s/s shotgun so there is a theme here. Now expecting to be derided by the plastic fantastics who I am sure would not be happy with the 1 1/2 inch range groups my Stutzen produces! Each to their own- and I do have the occasional urge to put a baseball cap on backwards, find a toothpick to chew, and put a 100 rounds down the range with some tac model or other.......

You need a rethink as to how you shoot rifles. A low recoiling moderated rifle shot off a bipod is a very different animal to a lightweight rifle in any calibre above probably a 243.

You need to relearn a few things.

Firstly follow through. This has nothing to do with whether or not you can see the target after the shot (and you wont unless low magnification and low recoil) but everything to with the hold. Forehand is critical and it needs holding the rifle well forward with a firm grip and almost pushing the rifle away. By all means use a rest to steady things, but the rest should be under the fore hand. Much of the recoil will be taken with the forehand and with a firm hold you will come back on target after the recoil - firm, but relaxed - not tense.

Secondly - length of pull and stock fit. A lot of rifles have ridiculously short stocks - allows them to build up velocity before smacking you in the shoulder and about the face. Put on a slip on recoil pad. Do you have a good cheek weld. If not change the scope out for a smaller objective lense and get the scope as low as you can. 6x42 is all you really need, although the little 3-9x36 Swaro or Zeiss is very nice. Immediate fix though is to use a strap on/ lace on / slip on cheek piece to give you a firm cheek weld.

Both of the above allow you to control the recoil and not notice it. You can mess around with different loads and there are light recoil loads out there. But get the fundamentals right first.

And thirdly change your expectations - its a rifle for carry much shoot little. Can you carry it all day and when the opportunity presents itself hit a clay pigeon out to 150 yards with first shot. I am pretty sure you and it are more than capable of that. Shoot from a standing or seated position when you practice, don't shoot it a lot - half a dozen shots is plenty. Don't try and shoot tiny groups - clay pigeons are an excellent size target. Wind the scope down to a low power and think the bullet into the middle of the clay. Keep both eyes open and let instincts take over. It works. I see the target being hit with a 6 1/2lb 7x65R - but I am not sure whether I see it through the scope or with my right eye (shoot left handed) - doesn't matter as I know that I have hit the target.

+1 ^^ to what Heym SR20 just instructed.

And try some reduced loads, so you can practice more and get the technique down. You can buy them or load them. A 125-gr Sierra or Hornady at 2,600 fps out of that Stutzen will knock deer over inside 200 yards, and has half the recoil of a heavy load.

I have had Steyr and Mauser Stutzens in .30-06, 8x57, 8x60S and still have a 7x64 and .270 Win, and carbines in 7mm-08 and .308 Win - accurate and great for real stalking all day. Hold that rifle firmly out on the checkering like a shotgun, and consistently, for every shot. When you find what works, replicate it.

Thanks for all the positive in put guys.

I think I'll get the old girl out of the cabinet and get some rounds through her.
    The rifle has a 6x42 meopta with quick release mounts, and I mostly shot it prone off the bipod which, by the sounds of it could have been a contributing factor to me not really getting on with it.
    I have recently bought some of the viper quad sticks, love them! Although I'm interested in the mods huntsman has done to his.
    I've been using 150gr federal fusion through it and don't really want to go much lighter, but I'll get out with it and try and adjust my technique as you guys have suggested.

Thanks again

Owain

Avoid a bipod on a Stutzen- I originally nearly wavered on that, but this forum put me straight immediately! Quite right too.

Quote Originally Posted by carlisleredneck View Post
    Thanks for all the positive in put guys.

I think I'll get the old girl out of the cabinet and get some rounds through her.
    The rifle has a 6x42 meopta with quick release mounts, and I mostly shot it prone off the bipod which, by the sounds of it could have been a contributing factor to me not really getting on with it.
    I have recently bought some of the viper quad sticks, love them! Although I'm interested in the mods huntsman has done to his.
    I've been using 150gr federal fusion through it and don't really want to go much lighter, but I'll get out with it and try and adjust my technique as you guys have suggested.

Thanks again

Owain
    Prone off a Bipod, and I suspect with a cross arm hold, no wonder you are having issues. The rifle will bounce around all over the place. Hold that Forend!
    is a very good article with lots of useful pictures. There has been a big tendency for people to copy sniper type techniques but forgetting that most sniper rifles are heavy barrel target type rifles with a starting weight in 308 of 10lbs plus. The British L96A1 - Accuracy International Artic Warfare rifle in 7.62 / 308 weighs in at 14.3lbs so its weight will control all the recoil. Yes a bipod and cross arm hold is very steady, and you need that to take out a target at 600+ metres. But with a sporting rifle, thats not what is needed.

Before doing too much with the Stutzen get the 22rf out and practice with that, then shoot the 308 and finish off with the 22 again. And get rid of the bipod.

I have the Blaser K95 Stutzen in 308 and completley relate to the comments above.

Mine hardly ever comes out of the cabinet, I was not a particulalry good shot with it and began to flinch a bit. - I know it shoots as friend of mine shot this group with Privi 150gr soft point at a 100 yards off a bag.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	K95_100yds.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	223.5 KB 
ID:	67873

I dont struggle with it as much (still not very good with it) since I had a "Kick Stop" fitted. I dont know whether you could install one in the CZ.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Kickstop_02.jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	70.9 KB 
ID:	67874

it makes quite a noticeable difference to felt recoil.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails K95-Stutzen-308.jpg  
    Last edited by Bilbo; 15-03-2016 at 17:39.