Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rifles at family house

Rifles at family house

Hi guys,

my partner lives about 16 mile from where I live and was wondering if I can put a gun cabinet in the house to store my rifles in if I've been out stalking and going to stay at her house?

Are we allowed to do this or do I have to travel back home to secure my rifles before going to her place?

matt

What's to stop you !
    It would be the same as when you stay in a Hotel overnight.
    Whenever you are away from your usual place of domicile you are required to take reasonable precautions to prevent unauthorised access - so another cabinet would be more than the reasonable answer.

That's what I thought ! Might just do it it will only be the odd day or two that I stay there and they will be secure.

Just don't leave the rifle there when you aren't there yourself.

Ian

Just tried to call firearms officer but on leave . Will have a look for a gun cabinet and maybe put one on wall.

I put the Full home office guidelines on storage and security into the sticky at the head of this legal section.

A cabinet is a good solution, but don't overthink it. The guidance are that you should take reasonable precautions to prevent unauthorised access. If it was the odd night or two I would look at a cable lock to something secure in the house and store the bolt elsewhere, but cabinets, especially small are pretty inexpensive and if you have space and permission then do so. No need to involve the FLO unless you are planning on changing address.

Suggest you look at the thread I started about leaving weapons at a friends house. lots of v good advice in it.

D

Just been reading them now mate some good advice, my partners brother has a shogun licence and gun cabinet is in the cellar so might put another down there and keep keys with me .

Quote Originally Posted by .243 t3 View Post
    Just been reading them now mate some good advice, my partners brother has a shogun licence and gun cabinet is in the cellar so might put another down there and keep keys with me .
    Or simply put a cable / trigger lock around your rifle and leave it in his cabinet - get your own key to it. He should put a lock round his own shotguns.

Quote Originally Posted by Yorric View Post
    Just don't leave the rifle there when you aren't there yourself.

Ian

why not?!

no different to securing it in a car and leaving it...except more secure

if the keys are on you it is no different to you leaving your guns in the house when your family are in but you are not.

I staid in a cottage on arran that had a cabinet and 4 rifles were stored there. we didnt camp round the cabinet...we went out and left the guns in the house when not needed.