Thread: Ex-demo rifles

Ex-demo rifles

I am potentially looking at an ex-demo rifle but I am not exactly sure what sort of use it may have had. The gunshop is a distance away, so I don't want a long journey if it's gash.

Would the demos have been by manufacturer or retailer and is it likely to have had much live fire use?

In my experience, there are relatively few retailers that have the facilities to offer test fire of rifles and fewer would allow a new rifle to become, well, ex-demo.

Does anyone have experience from the trade side of whether an ex-demo is likely to have had a lot of rounds through it or rough use?

Quote Originally Posted by armo. View Post
    I am potentially looking at an ex-demo rifle but I am not exactly sure what sort of use it may have had. The gunshop is a distance away, so I don't want a long journey if it's gash.

Would the demos have been by manufacturer or retailer and is it likely to have had much live fire use?

In my experience, there are relatively few retailers that have the facilities to offer test fire of rifles and fewer would allow a new rifle to become, well, ex-demo.

Does anyone have experience from the trade side of whether an ex-demo is likely to have had a lot of rounds through it or rough use?

Why not ask the question to the retailer, they should tell you how it's been used....
    Opinions are like arseholes....... we all have them, and most of them stink

Quote Originally Posted by deerstalker.308 View Post
    Why not ask the question to the retailer, they should tell you how it's been used....
    Should !
    If it has only been handled in the shop a good clean up and it's new again.

I only have the experience of 3 ex demo Zeiss scopes from Europtics.
    They were perfect in every way and were indistinguishable from new.
    The rifles should be pretty much the same except the bore will be 'run in'. Plus any potencial faults with the rifle will have been found and fixed otherwise they would not be using it to demo.
    You don't hand a duff rifle to a customer to try out do you.

Armo you are right to be slightly cautious as I have been to two try out sessions with distributors in recent years and a fair few rounds were put through each rifle by numerous shooters in sometimes rapid succession. You certainly need to have a pretty good idea about how many rounds if any the rifle has shot.

Incidentally both try outs were great from my point of view and they certainly tempted me to buy the rifles. It was even better because they supplied the ammo.
    It's the calibre of the shooter that counts not the calibre of the rifle.