Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Long range deer/bear shooting?

Long range deer/bear shooting?

I've just been watching the video below showing a long range shooting montage of deer and bears. Now I appreciate that on "the other side of the pond" they have a different view on shooting live quarry and different ways of doing things but from what I have just seen on this video a great deal of the shots taken did not result in what looked like a clean kill by any manner or means, just a wounding of a lot of animal (Especially the bears). I'm not saying that this sort of long range shooting at live quarry is wrong, if you have the capability and confidence to do it then fair enough. However this sort of shooting at live quarry is really not for me, I prefer to only take a shot at a deer (Obviously no bears around Lancashire) if I am fairly confident of a clean kill first shot without leaving a wounded animal so I personally would not raise my rifle to a deer that was out beyond 200 yards maximum.
    However I accept that others opinions differ quite a lot from mine so what are your views on this type of long range live quarry shooting and the shots shown on this video guys?

It is all relative Pete, reading on what a lot of written on here then 90% of the UK shooters would have a heart attack looking up at the climb just to get there self in position...

Then the close up brigade would get eaten...

They have the ground, the kit to do it and also the will, which is %99 of the battle...

Our little Island is a fantastic place to live...however we are tied up in knots with most things we try to do..

Tim.243
    Stalking is very much like going to the night club

You can always tell an Essex Boy, just you cant tell him much...

An hour in the field is worth a week of typing trash.....

How the girl at the beginning did'nt get a shiner beats me, because of the angle of the rifle the butt is not in her shoulder........lucky girl
    Long range not for me but do admire the way '260 Rips' on you tube manages to dispatch foxes at very long ranges

Quote Originally Posted by Fireman sam View Post
    How the girl at the beginning did'nt get a shiner beats me, because of the angle of the rifle the butt is not in her shoulder........lucky girl
    Long range not for me but do admire the way '260 Rips' on you tube manages to dispatch foxes at very long ranges
    Yes I agree with you about "260 RIP"! I have watched most of his videos and have total respect for his abilities and skill when he is "long range shooting"!

How she managed to hit anything with both eyes closed is even more surprising!

Always interesting to see the vortex created by the bullet and its arcing loop into the target.

I suspect a lot of those were spine shot judging by how they dropped but feel very uneasy watching those bears being shot up the back end and running off...not a good advert for shooting! I cant imagine there was a successful retrieval of many of those carcases.

But hey ho..each to their own!

Established Poster
    Far too many wounding shots there - especially on the bears. I can imagine a lot of 'problem' bears are created by that sort of long shot being taken.

seems to be a few people using the same rifle and not really knowing what there doing so i wouldnt mind betting its some sort of long range outfitter

North Eastern Victoria Australia Mitta Mitta Sambar country.
    Deer Dog Available
    Its not hunting period!

It seems that most LR shooters never tell you about the back leg that they blew off etc.

In th ebig cross gully systems in Victoria where a shot may be 600-900 yards the walk down to and up to the target may be a 1/2 day slog. Many tales I have heard suggest some wont even bother to go and look up a wounded deer OR they shoot a deer dead on the spot and if its not a big trophy just congratulate themselves and leave where it fell.

True!
    Last edited by johngryphon; 16-03-2016 at 18:58.
    "you nae be needing these no more"
    I said as I slipped the knife through the cord

সাম্বার হরিণ

Those bears are baited plus on one shot at same bait point 416? yds next shot at same spot 700ish? from same shooting position?bit of editing wouldn,t go amiss,
    DONT START

It not hunting in my book, it's just shooting. Hit & miss shooting at that, with little respect for live quarry.
    Just my opinion.
    Blaser K95 Luxus Kipplaufbüchse .25-06Rem. Zeiss 8x56, 110gn Nosler Accubond = Game Over!