Lightweight jacket

foxhunter

Now that the roebuck season is nearly here I am looking for a new lightweight jacket. I am sick of sweating like mad and want something cool.

Just wondering what you guys wear, any recommendations.

Bought a Deerhunter Avanti jacket a few months ago but haven't worn it yet.

I've got a Browning Rochefort Active jacket for those mornings/evenings that are chilly but not full-on cold - find it quite good with decent pockets, quiet and not too hot when yomping back with a carcass and everything else. It wasn't that expensive either IIRC :thumb:

Think about those chins foxy.. I`d stick with the jacket that makes you sweat if I were you..;)

Think about those chins foxy.. I`d stick with the jacket that makes you sweat if I were you..;)

Alright Vim .....still have your wit I see. Not getting any younger you know.
I take my hat off to you for the effort you put in with those huge Reds.
Do you see Shaggy these days?

Miltec wind proof smock. Light, cool in the summer but wind proof and shower proof, lots of pockets.

i've got a Paramo Feura smock which is pretty impressive - its showerproof rather than waterproof, but fantasically breathable, very quick drying surprisingly weatherproof even on crap days, and cool enough that i wear it next to the skin on very active, but breezy days. rolls up into a ball about the size of a Coke can.

if you want actual waterproof the current issue lightweight waterproof jacket is pretty good - its, effectively, Gore-Tex Paclite, but for £40 new. no hood, no pockets, but the materials and build are good quality and its about as low-viz as you could want. rolls up into a ball about the size of a lager can.

even lighter than the Paramo is a pertex windshirt - less showerproof, less robust, but you'll get them for £25 new and they roll up to a ball about the size of an apple.

going the other way is the old style MOD windproof smock - pretty rugged, quick drying, loads of pockets, snow and showerproof, very breathable and comfortable if worn bext to the skin on hot days. much bulkier if rolled up and stashed in a bag though...

I had to distance myself from the "long dog scum" dogmen Foxy. It was in the conditions that our Malcom enforced up on me when he allowed me to re-join our forum a few years back.
No mixing with undesirables and no using the name *** ..
So no I haven't seen him for about 4 years. Last time I spoke to him was some time ago.

Got a swedteam Axton. It's the closest thing to truly breathable I've had (have had goretex and event and this is better).

I bought a army surplus windproof jacket at the shooting show after advice on here.

Truly amazed I have been TB testing and lambing on bobmin moor in this weeks sunshine, and it has been excellent, zip vents under the arms aswell as being very breathable

Eddie

I was going to start my own thread but then spotted this one. I'm now casting about for something like this. Specifically, I'm looking for a waterproof, breathable, packable jacket with a hood. The same sort of thing as hikers wear really, but quiet and in muted colours. I may be heading for the Alps in the Autumn and you really need layers. I mean I could wear my Musto Technical Tweed jacket, but it actually weighs as much as the rifle when the pockets are loaded, more if it's wet. I'm looking for something to put over other layers if it rains, or is windy, or on the way down, but that you can stash away in a rucksack otherwise. I have a showerproof Le Chameau jacket that I wear when it's warm, but it has no hood and can't deal with proper rain, and I have a Rivers West jacket which is windproof, waterproof and lightweight, but absolutely not at all breathable ash was horrible when struggling through estuarine mud. Although in that case it made up for it by being mud proof, and because you then tended to do a lot of sitting around being cold.

Any ideas?

paramo halcon,windproof waterproof and light.expensive yes, but good for all shooting/stalking situations.

Army surplus Soldier 95 pattern DPM jacket and shirt (which doubles as a ligtweight summer jacket). Can't think what shooters feel the need to spend ££££££'s on big brand jackets when this surplus stuff can be had so cheaply, and with so many variations on spec available from breathable goretex to rip-stop polycotton.

I was going to start my own thread but then spotted this one. I'm now casting about for something like this. Specifically, I'm looking for a waterproof, breathable, packable jacket with a hood. The same sort of thing as hikers wear really, but quiet and in muted colours. I may be heading for the Alps in the Autumn and you really need layers. I mean I could wear my Musto Technical Tweed jacket, but it actually weighs as much as the rifle when the pockets are loaded, more if it's wet. I'm looking for something to put over other layers if it rains, or is windy, or on the way down, but that you can stash away in a rucksack otherwise. I have a showerproof Le Chameau jacket that I wear when it's warm, but it has no hood and can't deal with proper rain, and I have a Rivers West jacket which is windproof, waterproof and lightweight, but absolutely not at all breathable ash was horrible when struggling through estuarine mud. Although in that case it made up for it by being mud proof, and because you then tended to do a lot of sitting around being cold.

Any ideas?

I have one of these & it's great;

Lowlander Jackets

The Lowlander. Deer stalking jacket RoeStalker

Remmy on here makes them & did me a great deal.

Somebody on here was selling a lowlander in classifieds , as new & don't think it shifted

Worth a search they are something else

Paul

Somebody on here was selling a lowlander in classifieds , as new & don't think it shifted

Worth a search they are something else

Paul

Just saw that. But I'm going to have to eat a lot more muntjac kebabs before I can wear XL size. I may as well take a tent with me...

Back