Rifle advice please

RM100

Gentlemen (and ladies),

I've been fortunate enough to be awarded an FAC, among the empty spaces, one exists for a 6.5x55, for target.

Background, I'm a member of a club, but my goal would be stalking. Presently, I have only done pheasants etc with a shotgun.

The challenges are finding a good rifle with scope and then finding a place for stalking, preferably in East of England.

Suggestions for rifles? My local dealer has a 6.5x55 Sauer 202 with Zeiss scope 3-12 Victory for a hefty 2500. What does the panel think? I could strrrretch that far, if the opinion was that this could be an excellent price, for a go-to rifle.

I was hoping to spend a bit less for the package, but don't mind going for quality. I gather Sauers are very respected.

I'll repost again, looking for stalking once Ive got a rifle I can be happy with.

All suggestions/opinions wanted and sought.

Many thanks

Last edited:
That is a hefty tag and I think there are possibly better alternatives. Nothing wrong with Sauer but your not just paying for function - and do you need a take down?
Reality is there isn't a master of all trades so you'll compromise one way or another, either on weight or number of shots that can be taken before heat is an issue.

First things first, what ranges are you shooting targets at, and what sort of stalking will you be doing?
If it's relatively short range (sub 900yds) and woodland then I'd say a heavy barrel sporter.

If you're doing long range and the hill then you're better off with 2 guns as this is where most people end up in the end.
26"+ .308 and a lightweight stalker.

P.S. if you ask 10 people for opinions on rifles, 3 will say Tikka, 4 Sako, 2 Blaser and the other will go something more obscure. Most everyone owns a Remington at some point, but typically not for long :)

Last edited:
Sauer 202 is a great rifle and Zeiss Victory is a great scope, check out prices online see what they actually come in at and see if you are getting a deal or not, does it come with a mod, sling, mounts, rings etc etc. At the end of the day buy what takes your fancy, I've had 3 Sako's but can't see past my Sauer 101 synthetic it's a no frills rifle in 6.5 that shoots straight and kills whatever I shoot at. Happy hunting!

This is all the rifle you'll ever need...
https://www.guntrader.uk/Guns-For-S...-Synthetic-Stainless_For-Sale_160311153959004

You might want to change the Swarovski 6x42 scope at some point, but if you're only shooting at sub-150yds, it's plenty enough.

Comes with bipod, sling and mod for £1,149.

I have no association with the rifle or the retailer, but it's amazing what a quick trip to Guntrader can find! This rifle won't hang around for long

You could have my Sauer synthetic for £800 without a scope, but Farticus is bang on with his suggestion. A good deal.

Better still i've an advert under firearms for sale for a BSA 6.5 x 55 with a very good scope. It has a bit of provenance in that it was owned by a BSA sales director and it is one of the last 6.5s from the factory.

There is a cracking CZ550 6.5x55 in my local gunshop which I can get for £360. I have 2 lovely Sauer rifles but I'm probably going to get this one, use the iron sights, no moderator and have something light and simple I can just go and get a roe without worrying if I've knocked it off zero.

When I see pictures of stalkers sporting military calibre rifles with massive scopes, sound moderators, bipods I wonder if some people have confused roe deer with heavily armed taliban.

NB if your FAC is for target, you can't use the 6.5 for stalking, why not get stalking put on while it's still just been issued to save the hassle and cost of a variation.

I have a question, something that has been puzzling me for a while now, why is a 6x magnification scope only good for 150 yards or less?

You might want to change the Swarovski 6x42 scope at some point, but if you're only shooting at sub-150yds, it's plenty enough.

As I said I am confused as after all most binos used in stalking are only 7-10 x magnification and surely they are used over much more extended ranges than sub 150 yards so why do modern stalkers need more than 6x mag to safely and cleanly shoot a dear?

I see not all stalkers require this: ...

There is a cracking CZ550 6.5x55 in my local gunshop which I can get for £360. I have 2 lovely Sauer rifles but I'm probably going to get this one, use the iron sights, no moderator and have something light and simple I can just go and get a roe without worrying if I've knocked it off zero.

Am basing this question on the fact that my Brno 308 had a 4x Zeiss Jena scope on it and that rifle accounted for a few deer over the years. Not once did it seem underpowered in the optics depatment. When I scoped the old 303 with a 4x40 scope and it performed rather well at 600 yards on Bisley's Century range.

It is a shame that more do not spend more time on the range with their rifles honing their shooting skills as it seems most think that they are natural borm marksmen. The Swedish 6.5mm is an excellent target round as well as a live quarry round. I have to agree that NOW would be the time to get the missing stalking condition but I wld also expect to accept conditions on this usage.

Will be surprised if they do not insist on your being accompanied by an experienced stalker. May I wish you the very best and fun in your search for the right rifle for you. I am envious as I simply love the hunt for the right rifle.

To the OP: if you're just starting out, you don't need a rifle, much though it's tempting to buy one. What you need first is some guided stalking with different people. This way you will a) learn about stalking; and b) try some different rifles. Only when you're ready to stalk unaccompanied will you need your own rifle.

If your 6.5 X 55 slot is for target, btw, what calibre(s) have you got slots for for stalking, as a matter of interest? For guided stalks you don't need anything, of course - all you have to do is turn up and pay attention.

Good for you!
I hunter I know had about ten rifles, bought a CZ 550 FS stutzen in 6.5x55, was so pleased that he bought another in 9.3x62mm and sold the other ten rifles. It is easy to remove iron sights, but can be expensive to add them to a sightless rifle. Warne makes quick release rings which fit the CZ 550 integral bases, with a good return to zero. A small scope like a 4x32 Leupold or 2-7x35mm Burris or Vortex will fit in your coat pocket.

When I see pictures of stalkers sporting military calibre rifles with massive scopes, sound moderators, bipods I wonder if some people have confused roe deer with heavily armed taliban.

NB if your FAC is for target, you can't use the 6.5 for stalking, why not get stalking put on while it's still just been issued to save the hassle and cost of a variation.
Adding stalking is a change of condition, not a variation, so no charge.
FYI 6.5x55mm is a military calibre, like most modern sporting rifles.
Moderators are practical tools for reducing the noise impact of our sport, think of it as a considerate shooters tool.

Will be surprised if they do not insist on your being accompanied by an experienced stalker.

I'd be surprised if the FLD tried to impose a 'mentoring' condition and the OP accepted it. It's been well and truly kicked into touch by ACPO/NPCC FELWG, CC Andy Marsh's letter to CCs, The HO Guidance and the Authorised Professional Practice on Firearms Licensing. There should now be no mentoring conditions issued and the FLD's are fully aware of it - so don't let them try it on.

First things first, what ranges are you shooting targets at, and what sort of stalking will you be doing?
If it's relatively short range (sub 900yds) and woodland then I'd say a heavy barrel sporter.

Milligan....Sub 900 yards = relatively short range?
So 400, 500, 600, 700 and 800 Yards is considered by you as 'short range woodland stalking'?
I think that is a typo...??

RM100, IMHO 'short range' is 30-60 yards, a not untypical scenario for lowland woodland stalking. 'Normal' range is around 70-130 Yards maybe; most stalker would consider 150+ Yards long range. Typically stalkers would zero their rifles at 100 Yards, that is because a typical shot would on average be 100 Yards.
And a 'heavy barrel sporter' doesn't exist: It is either a heavy (= varming or target) barrel, OR a light thin 'sporter'; barrel. For woodland/lowland stalker you are better off with a sporter barrel as the weight of all your gear you carry around becomes an issue when you walk around.

I believe Milligan was referring to sub-900 yards being relatively short for targets, not for stalking.

Also, there is more than just sporter and varmint/target weight barrels. There is many that fill the gap from pencil thin right on up to full bull barrels. Again, I believe Milligan was referring to heavier than normal sporter barrels but lighter than varmint/target.

I could be wrong mind since only Milligan knows what he meant :)

Last edited:
That is a hefty tag and I think there are possibly better alternatives. Nothing wrong with Sauer but your not just paying for function - and do you need a take down?
Reality is there isn't a master of all trades so you'll compromise one way or another, either on weight or number of shots that can be taken before heat is an issue.

If you're doing long range and the hill then you're better off with 2 guns as this is where most people end up in the end.
26"+ .308 and a lightweight stalker.

P.S. if you ask 10 people for opinions on rifles, 3 will say Tikka, 4 Sako, 2 Blaser and the other will go something more obscure. Most everyone owns a Remington at some point, but typically not for long :)

Only thing I would disagree with here is that if you ask 3 different shooters about rifles you will get 5 different opinions!

point taken. I have been given target weaponry permission, but my goal is to progress to stalking etc. No misrepresentation. I intend to go for accompanied stalks and then establish grounds for variation/change of use/whatever.

I appreciate my plans are all theoretical due complete lack of experience, but the desire does exist.

Also, I have spoken to the Sako75 dealer today already.

Last edited:
You should try a few rifles and only buy the one you're most comfortable with. Stalking is very different from target shooting and the type of land you hunt may require a short lightweight rifle rather than a longer heavier one, or of course vice versa.

6.5x55 will of course deal with anything the UK offers in terms of taking live quarry.

I believe Milligan was referring to sub-900 yards being relatively short for targets, not for stalking.

Also, there is more than just sporter and varmint/target weight barrels. There is many that fill the gap from pencil thin right on up to full bull barrels. Again, I believe Milligan was referring to heavier than normal sporter barrels but lighter than varmint/target.

I could be wrong mind since only Milligan knows what he meant :)

Yeah I could have misunderstood his post - maybe I should read things properly first before posting ;)

To the OP: if you're just starting out, you don't need a rifle, much though it's tempting to buy one. What you need first is some guided stalking with different people. This way you will a) learn about stalking; and b) try some different rifles. Only when you're ready to stalk unaccompanied will you need your own rifle. ...

I agree. I was taken stalking for 15+ years before I purchased my own rifle. I would also suggest doing your DSC 1 as soon as possible - DSC1

Regards JCS

Back