Happy St. Patrick's Day!

Glen of Imaal

Happy St. Patrick's Day!
Our stalking season finished a few weeks ago and won't start again till September but today is the traditional start of the fishing season, so time to get the fly rods out...:)

54 years ago today I got married and still together so not much chance of me forgetting St Patricks day :)
Another bottle of Bushmills to see me through the week !!!

Not Irish myself but I have an "Irish Night" organised this coming Saturday for the elderly in the flats where I live.
Everyone here is looking forward to a really good night together!:popcorn:

54 years ago today I got married and still together so not much chance of me forgetting St Patricks day :)

I'll be up that way in a few weeks. sorting out a bike run from the giants causeway all the way down the east coast.

and happy anniversary as well.

Happy anniversary Eddy to you and yours. Bushmills ? Try Jameson caskmates for a pleasant change.

Happy anniversary Eddy to you and yours. Bushmills ? Try Jameson caskmates for a pleasant change.

Thanks for the heads up, I'll get my son Kevin on to it, mind you, during the meantime I've also developed a liking for Grouse too, courtesy of my daughter ;)

I was invited to a St. Patrick day's breakfast at a smart hotel but unfortunately had to decline as I was booked to be working in Newcastle. Is this part of the tradition or just someone's slant on it?

Since my Scot ancestors are descended from the ancient Owen Niall of Ireland, as DNA testing confirms, I feel nay guilt for partaking a dram of whiskey on this day, and the day before, and the day after, if I so please.

Twelve new hatching flies are tied, in my aluminum Orvis window box, and a stream full of smallmouth bass and brown trout awaits, on a glorious sunny day where it will hit 70 degrees F.

Since my Scot ancestors are descended from the ancient Owen Niall of Ireland, as DNA testing confirms, I feel nay guilt for partaking a dram of whiskey on this day, and the day before, and the day after, if I so please.

Twelve new hatching flies are tied, in my aluminum Orvis window box, and a stream full of smallmouth bass and brown trout awaits, on a glorious sunny day where it will hit 70 degrees F.

:thumb:

Whats the occasion ?
You will be passing where I live !

Ah, you know the definition of an Irishman?

Someone who can take a long story and not make it shorter.........

But, the short version is, I'm coming over to cut a tree down.

oops pressed the wrong button.

I was dragged up backwards in Carlingford Lough, well, more the edge, although I did spend a lot of time in the Lough sometimes intentionally, other times not.
The auld ones are getting on a bit so I usually when I come over I try to get on with the DIY that is too big for him to do himself. Getting more and more now. So on this occasion a very large tree needs to be taken out. Should take me less than a day. I hope.
So that's the main reason...... But;

as with all things, I come over a couple of times a year so often I get no time to go for a wander as it is straight to see the folks but I am intending to come over later this year and I've always wanted to ride all the way down the coast on the motorbike plus I have a friend who is keen to come over as well so this time I've made a little more time to check out the route and I was planing to drive up and come back down the coast road then when we come over, walk the rope ladder, get the ferry across Strangford Lough, ride down through Kilkeel etc. I was going to do it in the car first because when we do it on the bike we will be under massive time constraint. The idea is ride from Hampshire up to Scotland get the ferry across and find a b&b near the causeway, or far enough away not to be paying tourist prices. Then next day ride the coast road with a few stop offs. Day 3 have a day off and go climb a mountain, weather permitting, then day 4 down to Dublin, catch the ferry and ride back home. Lot of miles, and need to execute with military precision. :D

That at is the very short version, I could go on but I've gotta get packed as I have some bunnies that need taking care of this evening.

Last edited:
Back