Attractants for roe.

kev.rem700

I have a new permission which has a Christmas tree plantation on it. I counted 7 roe on it when i was over looking at the ground. I was thinking of putting some kind of feed station on it with my trail camera set up.I was wondering what you guys are using to attract roe to the camera.Any help suggestions much appreciated.

Regards Kev

Last edited:
Apples and spuds me kev but no camera ,just scattered over winter,HOPE YOUR ALL OK MATE,REGARDS DOUG,:thumb:

Cheers Doug we are all well hope you are all well.

Elk hamburger the tree are doing the job just fine.;)
I was going to put some kind of feed out so i can get some nice photos/videos. Cheers

Regards Kev

I know quite abit about Xmas trees as I used to grow a good deal of them if you have an area where there are newly planted ones about 1-2ft tall they will be on the move soon growth wise I'd stick a camara on a post that's high enough to see over them and you won't need an attractant

I've found an apple flavoured block does not seem to work at all. Looking at the live cam in Estonia? it would appear that carrots might be worth a try.

You don't need to attract them- if they are there they are there- find a freshly rubbed tree and place your camera on it- it will show you what's about, as you will find at this time of year it will be visited by all the bucks and does that are in in the area

Cheers Doug we are all well hope you are all well.

Elk hamburger the tree are doing the job just fine.;)
I was going to put some kind of feed out so i can get some nice photos/videos. Cheers

Regards Kev
I thought you would be out with the camera/video you know the score ,i only put some out over winter because i saw four different does with twins,:thumb:

Thanks lads i was up this morning and put some apples and carrots out i went and forget the camera so I'll be back up tomorrow with the camera. Hopefully next weekend il have some photos/videos.

Thanks again
Regards Kev

Thanks lads i was up this morning and put some apples and carrots out i went and forget the camera so I'll be back up tomorrow with the camera. Hopefully next weekend il have some photos/videos.

That's going to be cutting it fine for the end of the season if you have been struggling to catch up with the does.

It will be interesting to know what they think of the apples and carrots though.

It is cutting is short but i only got the ground a weak ago. Il post pics and a report on the apples and carrots shortly.

Regards Kev

It appears that, according to your own post, Christmas trees do the job! :)

OK, serious now: try a product available from pet shops and animal feed merchants: Speedi-Beet. It is a Cooked unmolassed sugar beet pulp, dried, and needs to be soaked before feeding to horses. To attract deer, just leave it out and rain/dew will do soaking for you.

Possibly not a good idea to feed the above if u have badgers or stock around. Dried shredded beet pulp tends to swell in there bellies way it does with horses and tend to get a fatal case of constipation.

Wot age are the christmas trees? And are they actualy christmas trees ie tree growing for cutting and putting in ur house or just SS or NS for timber?
Not wanting to teach u how to suck eggs (which i maybe)
If real christmas trees ur dealing with quite a high value crop that is rotated often so always vulnerable trees that could easily be ruined by deer browsing/eating lead shoots. If thas case u mibee dinae want to be attracting any more in and shooting the few that are there.
If just for timber and trees over 4-5 yrs just brae on and feed them thou won't do any harm

Last edited:
Possibly not a good idea to feed the above if u have badgers or stock around. Dried shredded beet pulp tends to swell in there bellies way it does with horses and tend to get a fatal case of constipation.

Wot age are the christmas trees? And are they actualy christmas trees ie tree growing for cutting and putting in ur house or just SS or NS for timber?
Not wanting to teach u how to suck eggs (which i maybe)
If real christmas trees ur dealing with quite a high value crop that is rotated often so always vulnerable trees that could easily be ruined by deer browsing/eating lead shoots. If thas case u mibee dinae want to be attracting any more in and shooting the few that are there.
If just for timber and trees over 4-5 yrs just brae on and feed them thou won't do any harm

I am not feeding to attract more deer. I am putting a small amount of food out for a short time to get some photos/videos.

Regards Kev

But horses are not ruminants. We found that beet pulp mixed with crushed barley and protein pellets, acted as a laxative for calves.

best attractant ive seen so far kev is an ageing lancastrian with arthritis a pair of quad sticks binos and a 6,5 clumping about and making more noise than a four old in tescos!! they love it all the does come out for a laugh!!:doh:

best attractant ive seen so far kev is an ageing lancastrian with arthritis a pair of quad sticks binos and a 6,5 clumping about and making more noise than a four old in tescos!! they love it all the does come out for a laugh!!:doh:

I wonder who you are talking about Doug::eek::rofl:I was over putting the camera out yesterday afternoon and saw a nice buck the does were there at a bit that a couldn't get close enough.

Regards Kev

Back