Brief Encounter [possibly] staring A Stutzen

seibassman7

I picked up my new to me CZ .22 Stutzen last Friday as per previous thread. I quickly fitted a cheap scope so I could test it and took it down to the range on Tuesday evening for a try out. I had bore sighted the scope at home and was pleased to find it was less than an inch out when I shot it. After a few shots it was on target [only 25m] and grouping nicely so I was very pleased. Nice rifle, nice groupings with the only complaint being the trigger is a little heavy but it ahs a nice clean break so I can live with it.

Any way yesterday evening I got an email out of the blue offering me a .22 semi which I have been seeking for over a year, 6 days after filling the .22 slot on my FAC with the Stutzen :doh: . I have said I want the other rifle but now have a quandary - do I have to sell my Stutzen or can I justify to the FEO another .22rimfire. I have spoken on the phone to the FEO and explained that my Stutzen will be for vermin as well as targets [which is the current condition] and the new one will just be for gallery/targets/competition, and was told it sounded ok so I might be able to put in a variation and get keep them both. If not then the Stutzen will have to be sold as the other rifle is top of my wish list.

Why oh Why did the email regarding the new .22 not arrive before last Friday then would have been nice and easy. Now I have a couple of weeks wait whilst my variation is looked at.

HO HUM

SBM

ps To those kind members who have pointed out various scope to me, what ever rifle I end up with I will need a good scope but it will not be an immediate need as I have to sort out the rifle situation first.

PM dont get me wrong, if I could keep the Stutzen I would but that will be decided by the FEO rather than what I want - good reason and all that. I already have a .22 single shot target rifle so I think if I end up being able to keep the Sturten and the new one I will be doing well in having 3x .22 as well as my 7x57. I am preparing my case as I write this post. regards sbm

Horses for courses ( I have 3 x .22lr) - all have different uses.

Just remember though - if the Stutzen goes then so does the Loden :D

Horses for courses ( I have 3 x .22lr) - all have different uses.

Just remember though - if the Stutzen goes then so does the Loden :D
you are quite correct about horses for courses. would the need to wear Loden be a good reason to justify theStutzen with the FEO? :D

Low cost trigger kit for the CZ from Rimfire Magic £15. Check it fits the stutzen. Will lighten the pull for you- easy fit.
Stick with the Stutzen. Forget the continental loden and get a nice proper tweed hill jacket.

There used to be competitions that only a .22 L/R semi automatic rifle was suitable for... Check with your club as they are probably still being shot.

There used to be competitions that only a .22 L/R semi automatic rifle was suitable for... Check with your club as they are probably still being shot.
Hi Conure, thanks for this, very useful, it is the route I am looking into so i can keep the Stutzen as I really like it even after owning it for only a few days and only shooting it the once. regards SBM

True - lots of practical places about too where you can shoot shotgun / semi-auto - from memory there was a good one in south Dorset which you could rock up to.

Just make sure the semi auto you get is the best - Smith & Wesson

Remembered the place - Shield Shooting Centre - not had the time to go there yet (set up my own prac on my land) but spoke to the guy and sounds good.

Last edited:
I cant answer for your FO, however i have 2x .22, one semi, other underlever, applied for a bolt action , no problem ! Keep it and enjoy.

Back