Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Venison burgers

Venison burgers

How does everybody make their venison burgers. If have tried straight mince, adding egg, adding onion etc but they tend to just fall apart when they hit the BBQ

You want breadcrumbs in there as well and abut of pork belly or shoulder lie find the recipient and on it to you when I get in
    Ben

Here you go... My kids love these!

Venison Burgers

• 1200g venison mince
    • 400g pork belly mince
    • 2 large onions, finely diced
    • 2 carrots, grated
    • 2tbs olive oil
    • 3 cloves of garlic, roasted and pureed
    • Salt and freshly cracked black pepper
    • 2tbs whole grain mustard
    • 2tbs freshly grated horseradish
    • 2 whole free range eggs
    • 100g fresh breadcrumbs

Heat a large non-stick frying pan with olive oil and sauté the diced onion and grated carrot with seasoning until soft. Leave to cool completely and add the mashed garlic.

Measure all the ingredients including the cooked onion mixture into the bowl of a mixer, attach a dough hook and kneed the meat until all the ingredients are well mixed.

Test a small amount in a hot pan and taste, adjust the seasoning if needed.

Let the burgers rest in the fridge for at least 6 hours.

Cook the burgers 5 - 6 minutes on each side in a hot griddle pan, alternatively brown the burger in a hot pan and transfer it to a preheated oven at 200°C and cook for a further 5 - 6 minutes - or just whack on the barbie!

Heads Up: I mince the venison and pork belly separately, mix them together, then mince the mixture. Just means that it's really well blended
    Sako 75 6.5x55mm-Z6i 3-18x50. MauserM12 .308-SIII 6-24x50. Beretta 690 III Field 12b.
    "You have enemies? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life."
    Sir Winston Leonard Spencer Churchill (1874-1965)

Thanks for that.......carrots in burgers!?! Not what you would normally expect!

Venison, salt, pepper, English mustard. That's all.
    Just mix for 5 mins to really break up the meat and get it well incorporated.

You can use bread crumbs , I use butchers pinhead rusk & as for flavourings limit is your imagination !

Honestly whatever is in the cupboard !

But sometimes it's good to just go back to a straight plain lightly seasoned burger

YouTube the Scott rea project , he had a belting video on " turbo burgers" using bit of heart minced in etc

Paul

SD Regular
    On the banks of the Columbia River, Portland OR. USA
    1 lb deer meat, 1/4 lb beef trim, garlic powder, cumin, Lawreys season salt, black pepper. mix well, make burgers, cook. Real good.

If you dont want them to fall apart, add about 25% pork mince, and whatever else you like, seasoning etc, but then put them into rings, and compress them with something heavy , leave them in fridge overnight, and when you cook them, cook them slowly, and and dont keep turning them on BBQ, just turn once , most men find it hard not to pick and prod with the tongs at anything they cook, and tend to think you need to cremate everything, ( every time my best mate invites us around, my missus refers to his cooking as "burnt offerings") low heat and take your time.

Quote Originally Posted by Ah8217bris View Post
    How does everybody make their venison burgers. If have tried straight mince, adding egg, adding onion etc but they tend to just fall apart when they hit the BBQ
    There are some variations here ..
    www.1245.forumotion.net
    https://www.justgiving.com/John-Slee/
    "He who kills sow with piglets empties the forest of boar" My neighbours dad on new years eve 2011.

Established Poster
    Try them with around 10% black pudding and some wild garlic leaves - yum!