Venison burgers

Ah8217bris

How does everybody make their venison burgers. If have tried straight mince, adding egg, adding onion etc but they tend to just fall apart when they hit the BBQ

You want breadcrumbs in there as well and abut of pork belly or shoulder lie find the recipient and on it to you when I get in
Ben

Here you go... My kids love these!

Venison Burgers

• 1200g venison mince
  • 400g pork belly mince
  • 2 large onions, finely diced
  • 2 carrots, grated
  • 2tbs olive oil
  • 3 cloves of garlic, roasted and pureed
  • Salt and freshly cracked black pepper
  • 2tbs whole grain mustard
  • 2tbs freshly grated horseradish
  • 2 whole free range eggs
  • 100g fresh breadcrumbs

Heat a large non-stick frying pan with olive oil and sauté the diced onion and grated carrot with seasoning until soft. Leave to cool completely and add the mashed garlic.

Measure all the ingredients including the cooked onion mixture into the bowl of a mixer, attach a dough hook and kneed the meat until all the ingredients are well mixed.

Test a small amount in a hot pan and taste, adjust the seasoning if needed.

Let the burgers rest in the fridge for at least 6 hours.

Cook the burgers 5 - 6 minutes on each side in a hot griddle pan, alternatively brown the burger in a hot pan and transfer it to a preheated oven at 200°C and cook for a further 5 - 6 minutes - or just whack on the barbie!

Heads Up: I mince the venison and pork belly separately, mix them together, then mince the mixture. Just means that it's really well blended

Venison, salt, pepper, English mustard. That's all.
Just mix for 5 mins to really break up the meat and get it well incorporated.

You can use bread crumbs , I use butchers pinhead rusk & as for flavourings limit is your imagination !

Honestly whatever is in the cupboard !

But sometimes it's good to just go back to a straight plain lightly seasoned burger

YouTube the Scott rea project , he had a belting video on " turbo burgers" using bit of heart minced in etc

Paul

1 lb deer meat, 1/4 lb beef trim, garlic powder, cumin, Lawreys season salt, black pepper. mix well, make burgers, cook. Real good.

If you dont want them to fall apart, add about 25% pork mince, and whatever else you like, seasoning etc, but then put them into rings, and compress them with something heavy , leave them in fridge overnight, and when you cook them, cook them slowly, and and dont keep turning them on BBQ, just turn once , most men find it hard not to pick and prod with the tongs at anything they cook, and tend to think you need to cremate everything, ( every time my best mate invites us around, my missus refers to his cooking as "burnt offerings") low heat and take your time.

Good tip. Dont go to the bother of making bread crumbs. Just wet the slices of bread and mix in with meat. If your in Scotland dont use plain Bread (mothers Pride) only use Pan bread. You will have much softer burgers. Do the same for making Meatballs, you wont believe how soft they are. even second day they are still good.

If you dont want them to fall apart, add about 25% pork mince, and whatever else you like, seasoning etc, but then put them into rings, and compress them with something heavy , leave them in fridge overnight, and when you cook them, cook them slowly, and and dont keep turning them on BBQ, just turn once , most men find it hard not to pick and prod with the tongs at anything they cook, and tend to think you need to cremate everything, ( every time my best mate invites us around, my missus refers to his cooking as "burnt offerings") low heat and take your time.

+1 for this advice. I have found egg doesnt help keep them together (especially if you freeze them). Seasoning includes mustard, garlic, lea perins, fnely graed apple, finely grated onion, olive oil, mixed herbs (lakeland sausage seasonng is a wnner).

Lots of pork/pork fat, minced seperate then mixed and re-minced with venison.

Quite interesting how fellow folk season and bind there burgers.
I don't use any additional pork fat etc to season, it's just plain venison plus my own seasonings. No oils or fat to bind together. I've never an issue binding together they just need consolidating properly whether it's by hand, machine or press.

For a plain burger. I use salt, pepper and a beef oxo cube. The oxo cube enhances the flavour, immensely.
For a flavoured burger those Schwartz shake grinders are good.

One of my best burgers is a plain burger mix as discribed. Yeh I like a man burger of 1/2 burger. So split 1/4'ly with one 1/4 place greated cheese on top about 10mm from the edge and place the burger on top. Seal around the edges and cook. The cheese melts and the best burger ever.

Ive recently gone against tradional lettuce, infancy hate it. I use fresh spinach for salads and burger toppings. It's crisp, fresh and adds a peppery taste.

Back