Thread: Quick Load Help.

Thumbs up Quick Load Help.

Hi.

Would someone be so kind as to run some numbers for me, im a little confused.

I have a new 6.5 - 284 which i would like to run with 120 grain Barnes TTSX and H4831sc powder.

I have Noslers reloading data which suggests 52.0 grains of powder, up to 56.0 grains.

I have looked at other data from Hodgedon etc and they seam to suggest a maximum load of 52.5 grains.

Not a problem i hear you say, just load low and work up, but eating into the useful barrel life by a substantial margin me thinks.

48 grains up to 56 with 3 or 4 rounds each at half a grain, and im looking at a lot of bullets and a small fortune in powder.

Any way.

6.5 - 284 24 inch barrel, Lapua brass, H4831sc, Barnes 120 grain TTSX with a C.O.A.L of 3.048 inches, Fed 210 primer.

If at all possible could someone have a look to see what quick load suggests as a max.

I know Hodgedon can be conservative but for Nosler to start at Hodgedons do not exceed seams crazy.

Many thanks.

Nik...

Hi Nik,

What's your case capacity in grains H2O?

Quickload is good but there is no substitute for empirical data.... i.e. testing!

QL gives a max of 56 grains H4381sc with a 66 grain capacity case.

Seating depth also makes a big difference!

Stay safe and go steady!

DT

Hi

Thanks for that, I will measure a fired case tommorow.

i have loaded single cases today and gone up to 57 grains with no pressure signs whatsoever.

Incidentaly, I have got up to 51.5 grains with 140 grain Noslers but only getting 2700 fps, which I was a little dissapointed with. It's a new Barrel so I guess it's got to settle in.

At this rate I will need a new one before I'm happy with a load. ��

Quote Originally Posted by foggy View Post
    Hi.

Would someone be so kind as to run some numbers for me, im a little confused.

I have a new 6.5 - 284 which i would like to run with 120 grain Barnes TTSX and H4831sc powder.

I have Noslers reloading data which suggests 52.0 grains of powder, up to 56.0 grains.

I have looked at other data from Hodgedon etc and they seam to suggest a maximum load of 52.5 grains.

Not a problem i hear you say, just load low and work up, but eating into the useful barrel life by a substantial margin me thinks.

48 grains up to 56 with 3 or 4 rounds each at half a grain, and im looking at a lot of bullets and a small fortune in powder.

Any way.

6.5 - 284 24 inch barrel, Lapua brass, H4831sc, Barnes 120 grain TTSX with a C.O.A.L of 3.048 inches, Fed 210 primer.

If at all possible could someone have a look to see what quick load suggests as a max.

I know Hodgedon can be conservative but for Nosler to start at Hodgedons do not exceed seams crazy.

Many thanks.

Nik...
    Nik,
    Quick Load is a computer model. It has little basis in the real world ballistics of YOUR rifle. You can brain work it all you like but you will need to get a starting point and Quick Load shouldn't be it. Go with the data from the powder maker, always.

As to unnecessary wear on your new barrel?? As a good gunsmith once told me, "If you want to prevent barrel wear leave it in the cabinet." Shooters shoot. Barrels wear out. Working up loads from minimum to a safe stopping point is unavoidable no matter what data you choose.~Muir

The giveaway as to why there is such a discrepancy lies in Hodgdon's COAL - 2.780", whilst the CIP max for 6.5-284 Norma is 82mm / 3.228 inches. There is a long history of wildcat 6.5-284s in the USA, often called the 6.5-284 Winchester as it used necked down 284 Win cases. The 284 was introduced in 1966 and presumably wildcatting it started not too long afterwards, while the Norma version was introduced in 2000, very much later. The throating on wildcat versions was very much up to the user, many opting for much shorter freebore than that specified by CIP for the regularised Norma version to allow the use of a short action and magazine feed.

That 0.4" difference between the two cartridges is huge and affects pressures / loads mightily. Hodgdon has presumably played safe. FWIW, the favourite American match loads with the 142gn Sierra MatchKing run at 51-52gn H4831sc to give you an indication of actual powder charges. That is probably below absolute maximum as competition shooters generally keep loads down a bit with this barrel burner to actually get through a season on one barrel.

You don't have to wear your barrel out in initial load testing. Load a single cartridge in each charge weight step and fire it looking solely at pressure issues, primarily whether you start to get hard bolt lift on primary extraction. If you have a chronograph, its feedback is invaluable too as to letting you know what's happening inside the chamber. If you run the barrel in doing a one shot / clean routine, 10 or 12 cartridges fulfils both roles. Once happy on MVs / pressures, then do your three or four round batches to see how well they perform.
    Last edited by Laurie; 19-03-2016 at 02:16.

Thank you all for your feedback.

i think all the points are valid and I think I'm getting to the root of the situation.

The barrel has indeed been throated long intentionally, which is allowing more case volume than normal,

I am only getting 2700 fps with 140s with 51.5 grains of powder and no pressure signs at all, so will work up slowly.

I think the free bore is obviously affecting pressures more than I realised it would, all of my other load testing over the last 5 years has been with factory rifles, and have behaved as such.

so a custom chamber throated long is new to me.

I will report back when I get somewhere, I have found a spot to get out to 400 yards aswell, so that will prove accuracy, when I get the velocity sorted.

Thank you all for now.