Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Shortening the Fallow Buck season

Shortening the Fallow Buck season

Anybody with any knowledge of the current numbers of Fallow deer in England will know that the numbers seem to be at a point of no return to try and keep them in check. All you seem to see on social media nowadays is pictures of people with fallow bucks shot when it probably would have been better to shot a doe or 2.

Do people think the Fallow Buck season should be drastically shortened to protect them a bit and try to encourage people to leave some bucks to reach their potential, I believe there is a real shortage in some areas of any bucks let alone master bucks.

I understand a lot of people will sell Bucks to clients for big money but this is done primarily in and around the rut so don't think this will have any effect. Perhaps a close season to mirror the Roe bucks and then another thought could the Red/Sika stags also have the same protection, in England only obviously?

Quote Originally Posted by Discopete View Post
    Anybody with any knowledge of the current numbers of Fallow deer in England will know that the numbers seem to be at a point of no return to try and keep them in check. All you seem to see on social media nowadays is pictures of people with fallow bucks shot when it probably would have been better to shot a doe or 2.

Do people think the Fallow Buck season should be drastically shortened to protect them a bit and try to encourage people to leave some bucks to reach their potential, I believe there is a real shortage in some areas of any bucks let alone master bucks.

I understand a lot of people will sell Bucks to clients for big money but this is done primarily in and around the rut so don't think this will have any effect. Perhaps a close season to mirror the Roe bucks and then another thought could the Red/Sika stags also have the same protection, in England only obviously?
    Agree that the buck/stag season is too long in the areas I stalk. I would like to see them safe from say end of December would be nice. There will always be exceptional areas where stags/bucks congregate but in general, give them a longer safe period.

It's a very valid point. I'd like to think that folk would have some sound idea of local populations and demographics on their perms, and to know when to leave well enough alone in a given area. It would be good to have the season kept as it is for practical reasons, and no-one really wants MORE legislation preventing responsible folk from carrying out proper management, but there should be perhaps be more emphasis made on herd management than on trophy.

Thats my tuppence, anyway...

Agree, I have been quite vocal locally on this. It really annoys when a fellow stalker boasts of his latest buck shot when there are does to be culled

agree with that we are overrun with does on our bit. but then other stalkers and clients around the area don't want does on the wall. its the same thing with the roe the does are left to increase in numbers and the bucks are shot on sight. we will be trying to cull right up to the last day just to keep the numbers down .

Quote Originally Posted by bwana View Post
    Agree, I have been quite vocal locally on this. It really annoys when a fellow stalker boasts of his latest buck shot when there are does to be culled
    Spot on....

It's nothing to do with the length of season, it's the Feckin idiots that have no idea about deer management that need to be changed! Trophy hunting will be the death of the recreational stalker.
    If anything, shooting bucks in hard antler should be banned, as should shooting any deer during the rut! Proper deer management should be about replicating what nature would achieve if we still had natural predators. Culling the young, sick, lame and lazy and allowing the best and fittest animals to survive. Culling females is the key to population control. Any stalker that chooses to shoot a buck over a doe in areas where there is a real fallow problem shouldn't be doing the job in the first instance. Does will always get covered, and if they don't then that wouldn't be a bad thing. As for genetics of a master buck - I suspect most deer would mature to become that if given the chance?
    MS

Any stalker that chooses to shoot a buck over a doe in areas where there is a real fallow problem shouldn't be doing the job in the first instance. Does will always get covered, and if they don't then that wouldn't be a bad thing. As for genetics of a master buck - I suspect most deer would mature to become that if given the chance?
    MS[/QUOTE]

Absolutely 100% spot on post.

It's not just trophy hunting it people selling for venison. Why shoot a smaller lighter doe when a big heavy buck is worth more on the scales for less expenditure?

Quote Originally Posted by Monkey Spanker View Post
    It's nothing to do with the length of season, it's the Feckin idiots that have no idea about deer management that need to be changed! Trophy hunting will be the death of the recreational stalker.
    If anything, shooting bucks in hard antler should be banned, as should shooting any deer during the rut! Proper deer management should be about replicating what nature would achieve if we still had natural predators. Culling the young, sick, lame and lazy and allowing the best and fittest animals to survive. Culling females is the key to population control. Any stalker that chooses to shoot a buck over a doe in areas where there is a real fallow problem shouldn't be doing the job in the first instance. Does will always get covered, and if they don't then that wouldn't be a bad thing. As for genetics of a master buck - I suspect most deer would mature to become that if given the chance?
    MS
    Absolutely spot on....