Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: .243 on lowland and woodland reds?

.243 on lowland and woodland reds?

Hey folks. Bit of advice, if possible please.

I've just secured a good permission with a lot of red, roe and munty in it. However, I haven't filled my .308 slot yet, so I was wondering about people's experiences with a .243 on lowland and woodland reds.

I usually use either a 105g Geco round or a 95g Winchester Silvertip ballistic. I'm wondering if the 95g Silvertip will have enough penetration with engine room shots, or if I should stick to low neck.

TIA

95g ballistic tips in the engine room will do the job, although some will disagree.

Quote Originally Posted by downwind View Post
    95g ballistic tips in the engine room will do the job, although some will disagree.
    You're not far from me, so you're probably shooting the same size reds?

im a big beliver in the .243 and what it can do and i own and use one as my stalking rifle that said if i was going to be shooting a lot of reds i would be tempted to go up to somthing bigger but if it was just the odd red then i would just use the .243

Used my 243 for many years in Scotland on reds and sika as well with no issues at all some years ago, the stalkers loved my Sako 243 when loaded with speer round nose 105gn bullets, sadly no longer made now. They never failed me at all when a heart/lung shot was taken. On woodland reds I would use my 7x57 though, all at reasonable range though.deerwarden
    Last edited by deerwarden; 17-03-2016 at 22:01.

I would leave low neck shots alone if I were you when shooting big red stags. The kill zone is only a small part of what is a very thick neck. More reds are lost from low neck shots than from any other! Better shoot engine room, high neck or head. Whilst a .243 will certainly knock them over, I think that you realise that the .308 would be better or you wouldn't have asked for one!

Quote Originally Posted by baguio View Post
    I would leave low neck shots alone if I were you when shooting big red stags. The kill zone is only a small part of what is a very thick neck. More reds are lost from low neck shots than from any other! Better shoot engine room, high neck or head. Whilst a .243 will certainly knock them over, I think that you realise that the .308 would be better or you wouldn't have asked for one!
    Yep, would definitely prefer the .308 and a much heavier round as a first choice, but not one I have until the cash flow allows...
    Some sound advice there, and of course shot placement is key, but until I can get the .308 I'm looking for advice on round capability.
    I'll bear the neck shot advice in mind. Cheers.

Quote Originally Posted by deerwarden View Post
    Used my 243 for many years in Scotland on reds and sika as well with no issues at all some years ago, the stalkers loved my Sako 243 when loaded with speer round nose 105gn bullets, sadly no longer made now. They never failed me at all when a heart/lung shot was taken. On woodland reds I would use my 7x57 though, all at reasonable range though.deerwarden
    Now that Speer RN bullet really did work well. When it went out of production the Hornady option just was not as good. Great shame Speer did that. Maybe it was a fashion thing...no idea, but it is a loss.
    Blaser K95 Luxus Kipplaufbüchse .25-06Rem. Zeiss 8x56, 110gn Nosler Accubond = Game Over!

.243 no probs. Nothing else needs said.

M

243 with 105gn gecos will do the job well. Don't try and shoot through both shoulders,nor try the 300 yard shots, keep the bullet in the engine room and shots well inside 200 and any deer won't tell the difference between 243, 270 or 308. They might run a wee bit further but they will be just as dead.

i am sure the 243 gets a poor reputation because choice of bullet is wrong. Choose a well constructed bullet designed for deer - Geco's have a good reputation. Avoid varmint bullets - you won't get the penetration you need.
    Last edited by Heym SR20; 17-03-2016 at 23:14.