What scope for a new 7mm rem mag stalking rifle

Benji53

Iv got a 7mm on order and I'm wanting some ideas for what glass to put on it Iv got Nightforce ziess and SandB on my other rifles but want something new/different have any of you got any suggestions? Makes models etc ? cheers :)

I was looking at the new ziess v8 or the kahles 624i have any of you got either of these would be interested in knowing your views

Out to 400m my 6.5-20 conquest works really well but lacks a bit at the lower end, my K624i is almost OTT for 400m and lacks at the lower end. So now I am trying a S&B 3-20x50 PMII Ultra Short. 3 mag would be good for walking up deer in cover and the 20 perfect for the longer neck shot. 50mm plenty with S&B glass. Weight 900grams, 10-20% below other tactical scopes. Also has locking low turrets. Price might be OTT. http://www.schmidtundbender.de/en/products/police-and-military-forces/3-20x50-pm-ii-ultra-short.html
edi

You could go "old school" and get a Swarovski Z3 as these are now the only manufacturer that caters for those that want a light, 1" tube, 'scope with a range from about 2x up to about 10x in either a 36mm or 42mm tube.

To my mind that's what I'd do. I love my 3-9x36 Zeiss Diavari but, sad to say, Zeiss don't do that now. The only AFAIK such maker is now Swarovski and i saw them at the Shooting Show and liked them....other than the 4A being the only reticule option on the "36" but on the "42" you get another reticule option.

Here's a Swarovski 3-10x42 on my Laubscher 7x64 before I replaced it with the Zeiss 3-9x36. Hope it helps give you an idea of the size of the thing on a rifle.

View attachment 67990

Last edited:
I have a 4-16 Schmidt PMII on my 7mm RM and find it absolutely spot on. The 4-16 Precision hunter would also be great. I have a 2.5-10 Zeiss on my 308 which is well suited for woodland but I feel would fall a bit short for my needs with the rem mag.

My brother has run a Leupold 2.5-8x36 on his 7mm RM for 30 years, and went for a 2.5-10x42 Swaro Z3 on his new .270 Win, as the top end of 8x or 10x is all you need, and the 2.5x is very handy in the woods or on moving game, or on very large animals like moose, bear and elk.

My brother has run a Leupold 2.5-8x36 on his 7mm RM for 30 years, and went for a 2.5-10x42 Swaro Z3 on his new .270 Win, as the top end of 8x or 10x is all you need, and the 2.5x is very handy in the woods or on moving game, or on very large animals like moose, bear and elk.

I think the difference to your shooting is that we normally would not really need a 7RM for our game unless one shoots the upper sized red deer at longer distances. In that case slightly larger mag scopes with 50-56mm are welcome especially as we have very dull winters often all seems grey in grey. A higher mag scope will help you see if there is grass in front of your target or to see exact lines of the animal.
I had a 270 and thought I'd go the light weight route for fun, put on a 2.5-8x36 Leupold.... once I went out and sold the scope a few days later. Just not for my shooting.
edi

If you've got a few scopes and are looking for something different then it might be worth thinking about a Nickel scope. In terms of glass then, for my money, they are up there with Zeiss. You don't see many of them about as they don't do the big marketing thing. Also be careful with older ones as I believe they had a rough patch many years back.

got a v8 2.8.20 x56 asv + wind asv selling it as its just to much for what iam doing View attachment 68021 yeh its upside down ? pass as to why it also now got a obj Zeiss flip cover aswell View attachment 68022 not a year old but that's not a worry its a Zeiss lol selling to fund a lesser Zeiss :doh: if there is one

Last edited:
Meopta ZD 6-24x56. Excellent glass for the money and will cover all bases.Richard Utting has a good review on them. Won't break the bank either.

My best all rounder is a 3.5-15*50 Nightforce. Great range of magnification that suits just about any situation woodland or hill.

Back