Thread: Advice

Advice

I have a dilema, I have just received some photos of two mounts that I have had done in South Africa and they are not as I asked for. Would it be unfair of me to ask the taxidermist, who has completed the work to redo one of them so that it is as per my instructions? I asked for one to be slightly left and the other slightly right so that they could go either side of a window - I am not keen on mounts which are straight on. They are nicely done but just not as I wanted. I also think that the klipspringer looks a bit 'hunched up'.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0161.JPG 
Views:	64 
Size:	48.1 KB 
ID:	68000 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0162.JPG 
Views:	62 
Size:	45.2 KB 
ID:	68001 I think that the grysbok looks OK.

Let me know what you think.

Patrick

Oxfordshire, Wiltshire, Berkshire....and Sutherland
    View my Gallery (19)View my Gallery (19)
    As the customer it's your prerogative to have them the way you asked for them - presuming these were written instructions? Clearly having them either side of a window it would make more sense for them to be pointing in opposite directions.

Of course you could always use it as an excuse for going back and shooting another

So far as the mounts themselves, it's difficult to tell much from the quality of photos that were sent. Cameras have a habit of compressing perspective, so it's hard to say whether the klipspringer is really hunched up or whether that's just how it looks in the photo. A quick Google for klipspringer turned up quite a few images that I would describe as hunched up, so maybe that's the way the taxidermist normally does them? I thought both mounts looked good, perspective aside.
    O wad some Power the giftie gie us to see oursels as ithers see us!

Name:	Klipspringer Pedistal.jpg 
Views:	50 
Size:	643.8 KB 
ID:	68004

This is the best Klipspringer mount I have seen and it has a slight hunched look.

Oxfordshire, Wiltshire, Berkshire....and Sutherland
    View my Gallery (19)View my Gallery (19)
    Quote Originally Posted by shotguntom View Post

Name:	Klipspringer Pedistal.jpg 
Views:	50 
Size:	643.8 KB 
ID:	68004

This is the best Klipspringer mount I have seen and it has a slight hunched look.
    That is nice!
    O wad some Power the giftie gie us to see oursels as ithers see us!

Patrick, this is the problem with having mounts done outside of the U.K. The work is generally of a good standard, but sometimes it is not what you want and although the price is always competitive to taxidermy work over here it is not always the best option.

For the taxidermist to de mount the skin would be a risky undertaking as it will be stuck to the manakin. Good luck with it, as it may not be the best option. I would leave it, but the choice is yours.

Best

Malc
    All grades of deer stalkers/hunters in the UK and overseas catered for. Level 2 DMQ signing off available. Over 30 years experience in the stalking/hunting industry. For friendly and professional help go to www.UKOutfitters.co.uk

ZEISS PRO STALKER.

Thank you all for your thoughts.

That is a superb Klippie!!

Malc - I know what you mean, the annoying thing is that the taxidermy is run by the PH's wife so I had hoped that I'd get what I wanted. Curiously this is the first time that my instructions haven't been carried to my expectations.... I think next time may be dip and pack...!

I will see what they suggest, particularly with what you say about getting the skin off the form, especially as I know that Klipspringer capes are hard to replace.

Sadly I have come to realise you need get taxidermy done where you can be in charge. Most has been good whilst I've hunted all throughout Europe but I've been recipient of tanned skins in poor state, blackmailed over prices, work never turning up, etc etc. I never pay fully for work until it's ready and I have an email from them with pictures.

My friends have waited nearly 4 years to receive some work from the USA.

Best taxidermists I've found are in England, Spain, Denmark and Switzerland.