selling shot deer, need dsc1 or having deer on ticket enough? thoughts please?

I wouldn't be happy to sell any venison to anyone if I couldn't be sure it was safe to eat.
Too much to lose.
How about 'giving' it away?

That's what crossed my mind ! Don't sell deer so isn't applicable to me, but just a thought.

quote_icon.png
Originally Posted by Tim.243
quote_icon.png
Originally Posted by AlexN So I can sell venison to my local pub but it must still be in the jacket as I'm not allowed to sell it either out of the jacket or as joints?

Final day of my DSC1 today, so once I've don't this all I need is a food business certificate and this makes me legally able to sell jointed or out of the jacket venison to the final consumer or someone who is supplying the final consumer?

Alex
Yes but its inly a registration ,you wont get a certificate.
Ask your Instructor today.

Sell it to the pub end of contract, the deer belongs to them. Go around and skin it for him while he watches.

Tim.243

I am sure the SD contract lawyer member will be along with the answer shortly....lol

Tim.243

Last edited:
thanks for all the replies, my friend and I were talking about it day and both un sure of the actual answer, all valid points on here, I'm a new member,although iv been shooting for over 20yrs I'm new to the forum based stuff, seems a good way to reach out for discussion's! as with most things in life, you still have to sort the wheat from the chaff!!

Here is a thought on this thread. All of what MS is correct; but now you have to register as a sole trader for local authorities. This means doing your bit for HMRC. So, as well as your own personal taxation, you now need to put this through your additional business. What are the tax rules on this. It used to be that you could have 5000 tax free through venison as a non professional. Is this still the case?

Here is a thought on this thread. All of what MS is correct; but now you have to register as a sole trader for local authorities. This means doing your bit for HMRC. So, as well as your own personal taxation, you now need to put this through your additional business. What are the tax rules on this. It used to be that you could have 5000 tax free through venison as a non professional. Is this still the case?

If you are a recreational stalker then there is no need to register as a 'sole trader' i.e. self-employed, with HMRC. You are merely registering yourself with the local authority to enable traceability of the product - it could be for no more than transporting the carcase from the field to the AGHE.

Here's the form from my LA and the majority of it doesn't apply to the likes of me - as above invariably transporting to AGHE with occasional hanging overnight in the (clean) garage. All they were interested in was getting as many primary producers of game onto the register.

https://www.middevon.gov.uk/media/114739/food-registration-form.pdf

The local large AGHE for the area even sent out a form to all their stalking and other game suppliers to offer to register them en-masse if not already registered.

Can only be a good thing if it improves traceability and cuts out another route for the poaching fraternity to dispose of their ill gotten gains.

Where did you read that regarding the £5k tax free?

If you are a recreational stalker then there is no need to register as a 'sole trader' i.e. self-employed, with HMRC.
Until they come knocking on your door, there is a paper trail via the game dealers when they pay us for game supplied.
I'm sure we can offset a lot of expenses, but when you knock over a few red's it can mount up.

Cheers

Richard

Where did you read that regarding the £5k tax free?

Until they come knocking on your door, there is a paper trail via the game dealers when they pay us for game supplied.
I'm sure we can offset a lot of expenses, but when you knock over a few red's it can mount up.

Cheers

Richard

What, you mean you didn't do your DSC1 or Large Game certificate under a pseudonym in anticipation of just such an eventuality? :D

Back to what redandroe was alluding to. There is no requirement to register with HMRC as a sole trader or any other kind of 'business' in order to register with the Local Authority as a food business.

However, if your income from venison achieves a level that attracts attention from the revenue, then it's time to become creative in what you can offset against it.

Last edited:
You need to get savvy with washing cash if your disposing of numbers of the larger Red stuff.. :D

Damn, didn't think of that, do you speak from personal experience?

Come to think of it I don't even have to stoop to such devious devices.

Which our common surname and what with using the same AGHE, I already receive the filthy lucre and you get the blame! :D

Back