Fox cubs

Overlay

Couldn't believe my eyes, out with a client today, he mentions a picture he took yesterday of a fox cub.
Took me to where he see it, sqeaked up for a few minutes, out pops 3 Cubs at least 4 - 6 weeks old.
earliest I've ever come across Cubs in my location, another first

atb

Phil

Snared two vixens 10/12 days ago, first one was yield, second was a few days from dropping, will be some about for sure.

Hi,just been out to local farm where I have shot 7 dog foxes since Christmas, shot vixen full of cubs,she had plucked her belly ready to suckle.

been a really mild winter so far up here,so things might be early. usually start low ground 10th-15th april, higher ground mid may, some high places not till june. If there's cubs up already in Kent, better get my kit gathered up and dusted off for another season.

I spotted a Fox cub this morning In a field off the m11 about 4 miles from the m25j going to London and a a load of squashed badgers going back up the a1

Why the popcorn? Unfortunately sometimes this is the sad reality of what we do. The OP would have had no way of knowing that it was a Vixen at the time of shooting it and once done, probably no way of knowing where she had had her cubs.
I am sure not one of us goes out with the intention of causing suffering to any of the animals we cull but occasionally for one reason or another it happens. Bewsher500 have you never lost a deer? If the answer to that is no, you have either, never shot many or you are a liar.
I am afraid in this game just every once in a while we all do something we wish we could change but it's not always that easy. If we don't care we shouldn't be doing it!

Thought it meant don't be greedy you will have none left.The time to shoot a fox is when you see it.;)

Yes your right we all have shot something's that was wrong, how are we to know that the Vixen was feeding young ??

How about not shooting Foxes at this time of year this might help.

How about not shooting Foxes at this time of year this might help.

Agreed. Foxes can have cubs any time from December to July, so I'm happy not to shoot them except between August and November - with the proviso that in return they agree not to kill any lambs, ducks, chickens, pheasants or anything similar during that period...

Agreed. Foxes can have cubs any time from December to July, so I'm happy not to shoot them except between August and November - with the proviso that in return they agree not to kill any lambs, ducks, chickens, pheasants or anything similar during that period...
+1. I'll need to tell the sheep farmers not to put the tups in until April next year.

Im not a fan of shooting foxes this time of year when clearly most will have cubs below ground.
If your under pressure to protect livestock its a bit different and needs must but it still dont feel great. Ive been there a few time.
To say the best time to shoot a fox is when you see it, or to shoot them just because "you can" shows a real lack of respect for one of our great british wildlife species and a lack of restraint behind the rifle!
Again....I appreciate it is difficult if livestock or livelihood are at risk.....and even if they are not foxes do need controlling but there is a time and a place for the latter.
Sadly some folk feel the need to shoot whatever they see! You might find you learn more and get more from your shooting experience if you dont squeeze the trigger on everything that moves.

I only shoot foxes crows and magpies,not everything that moves. I do shoot foxes on sight and will continue to do so,while ever it is legal,to protect poultry and lambs.

Back