Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Pictures of Kudu - Quality compact Camera advice needed

Pictures of Kudu - Quality compact Camera advice needed

Africa, most notably South Africa is a great source of inspiration,and its far from just the "Hunting" aspect as I'm sure anyone who as ever been privileged to travel there will agree. Having Hunted there quite extensively, I myself am happy enough these days just to "Accompany". I'm looking for any advice on a small compact pocket sized camera that will take reasonable quality pictures at distance. Being far from a camera guru myself, any advice would be appreciated. Of course I have witnessed and am aware of the larger professional variety, but I'm not really a keen photographer, the objective is more to capture reasonably good quality pictures out to a 150/200yrd,invariably these photos are then the inspiration to a oil or pastel painting in due course. The Sony CX190 I currently use as been a little good un so to speak, but its a good few years old now, the pics at some distance are grainy and I'm thinking of investing in a new compacted camera for my next foray that will be Poland in April.

Here are few photo's taken at distance of Kudu Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Young kudu.jpg 
Views:	138 
Size:	193.3 KB 
ID:	68037Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Kudu at Distance.jpg 
Views:	108 
Size:	148.2 KB 
ID:	68038Click image for larger version. 

Name:	kudu feeding.jpg 
Views:	111 
Size:	274.6 KB 
ID:	68039with the "wee" Sony from my last trip to SA in August of last year. Thanks in advance.(The last one was Stalked Purely for the Camera only).
    Last edited by greenhillstairs; 19-03-2016 at 12:47.

Nikon coolpix l320 is my current beastie Click image for larger version. 

Name:	099.jpg 
Views:	50 
Size:	97.2 KB 
ID:	68040Click image for larger version. 

Name:	252.JPG 
Views:	57 
Size:	159.6 KB 
ID:	68041Click image for larger version. 

Name:	314.jpg 
Views:	49 
Size:	79.9 KB 
ID:	68042atb
    she buys shoes i buy ,shooting,she stops buying shoes,il be amazed

Quote Originally Posted by tozzybum View Post
    Nikon coolpix l320 is my current beastie Click image for larger version. 

Name:	099.jpg 
Views:	50 
Size:	97.2 KB 
ID:	68040Click image for larger version. 

Name:	252.JPG 
Views:	57 
Size:	159.6 KB 
ID:	68041Click image for larger version. 

Name:	314.jpg 
Views:	49 
Size:	79.9 KB 
ID:	68042atb
    Look's a decent bit of Kit !

Oxfordshire, Wiltshire, Berkshire....and Sutherland
    View my Gallery (19)View my Gallery (19)
    I've not had a lot of luck with compacts, but the Panasonic Lumix TZ80 and the Sony RX100 both seem to get good reviews. The Sony is expensive though.
    O wad some Power the giftie gie us to see oursels as ithers see us!

Quote Originally Posted by willie_gunn View Post
    I've not had a lot of luck with compacts, but the Panasonic Lumix TZ80 and the Sony RX100 both seem to get good reviews. The Sony is expensive though.
    Agreed Willie the reviews on the Sony look good, but likewise agreed appears an awful lot of money for what it is

Just having a bit a banter with a mate over a Pint down the pub while waiting for the rugby to start, we are both debating if the Kudu was good to Cull, would we take the "Shot" ?? ps from recollection. guessing it was about 60/70Yrd! whistle him to turn and he could be off!! Click image for larger version. 

Views:	52 
ID:	68045
    Last edited by greenhillstairs; 19-03-2016 at 16:59.

Oxfordshire, Wiltshire, Berkshire....and Sutherland
    View my Gallery (19)View my Gallery (19)
    Quote Originally Posted by greenhillstairs View Post
    Just having a bit a banter with a mate over a Pint down the pub while waiting for the rugby to start, we are both debating if the Kudu was good to Cull, would we take the "Shot" ?? ps from recollection. guessing it was about 60/70Yrd! whistle him to turn and he could be off!! Click image for larger version. 

Views:	52 
ID:	68045
    Why wouldn't you take the shot?

The kudu in the Kruger needed more than a whistle to get them to shift!!

O wad some Power the giftie gie us to see oursels as ithers see us!

I recently bought a Nikon Coolpix S9900 for my wife. It's reasonably compact (pocket size) and produces pretty good results.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN0190.jpg 
Views:	31 
Size:	591.8 KB 
ID:	68054
    One of the reasons for buying it was the GPS tracking facility, so you can locate where every picture was taken if you want. Mrs downwind takes lots of pics from the pillion seat when we're on our European Bike tours.
    Last edited by downwind; 19-03-2016 at 18:10.

Sony DSC HX60 fits in the pocket leave it to it's own devices will take an reasonable image....read the instruction book and learn the camera it can take some very good ones.

The OP's 3 photos - I think on first two a combination of the camera software and slight movement have them a holiday snap and not something more special. I think the third is heat haze or software.

best option seems to be to take Willie_gunn now that's a kudu shot to be proud of.

I do occasional articles for magazines and they are very fussy about the quality of photographs that they require nowadays.
    Rather than carry my main digital SLR, a Nikon D300S, I bought a Nikon 1 which gives excellent results and is very small and light to carry.
    If that does not have a long enough lens for your requirements a bridge camera may fit the bill but will be down slightly on quality.