Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ticks

Ticks

Looks as though the wee b...... are going to be bad this year . Dog was covered with them from last weekend so I nipped down to the local vet for a tablet for him and after a couple o days watched the ticks just fall of him , nice to know it does what it says on the packet . Think i'll stick a tablet in with my dinner and see what happens , surely sometime soon us humans will be able to take some sort of tablet to stop them latching on .

Well they have been tested on rats and dogs
    but we need some clinical tests on humans ????,

The ticks need to suck blood a few hours before they are poisoned
    and drop off. Its amazing how the chemical is safe circulating in your dogs
    blood but lethal to ticks and fleas if they bite.

For humans treated clothing is the best preventative and shower and check
    after being out

Start eating garlic as part of your regular diet, I kid you not it works.

Andrew

Quote Originally Posted by Bugsy View Post
    Looks as though the wee b...... are going to be bad this year . Dog was covered with them from last weekend so I nipped down to the local vet for a tablet for him and after a couple o days watched the ticks just fall of him , nice to know it does what it says on the packet . Think i'll stick a tablet in with my dinner and see what happens , surely sometime soon us humans will be able to take some sort of tablet to stop them latching on .
    I wouldnt take any such tablet , the ones for pets will no doubt shorten their lives, ask your vet about the side effects.

Dead is good but they only die after biting... if they bite it is too late check feel all itchy now

Looks as though the wee b...... are going to be bad this year ...
    +1. Watched a bloated tick fall off a doe last week as I dealt with it and I found a tick below my right knee this morning after I'd had a shower. Regards JCS

Quote Originally Posted by jcampbellsmith View Post
    +1. Watched a bloated tick fall off a doe last week as I dealt with it and I found a tick below my right knee this morning after I'd had a shower. Regards JCS
    I wish it was only one I had to pull of JCS .... 9 in total and even felt one crawling up my backside as I went to take a shot. One bite left quite a lump on my arm so al get that checked soon. I seem to be a magnet for them but my immune system should be up a few levels by now . One thing I have noticed over the last 5 or so years is that I'm picking up ticks in places I never used to, bring back the dipping.
    Maybe try the garlic remedy ...... the only drawback might be getting close to the wife

[QUOTE= Its amazing how the chemical is safe circulating in your dogs
    blood but lethal to ticks and fleas if they bite.

t[/QUOTE]
    The active ingredient (fluralaner) is more selective for the insect and tick cells than mammal one, so a lethal dose for ticks is sub lethal for dogs. THis applies to many other antiparasiticides, some attack insect only compounds or receptors so have no effect on mammals.

wife thinks i,m knockin on because i,m using so much skin so soft,bit worrying tho shes ordered four more bottles,
    DONT START

Quote Originally Posted by Buchan View Post
    The active ingredient (fluralaner) is more selective for the insect and tick cells than mammal one, so a lethal dose for ticks is sub lethal for dogs. THis applies to many other antiparasiticides, some attack insect only compounds or receptors so have no effect on mammals.
    So can I use it?