Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cleaning

Cleaning

My case tumbler packed in yesterday what are people's thoughts on ultrasonic cleaners . Or what other meatheds are their to clean brass quickly ?

Ultrasonic cleaning is ok but you won't do as good a job with it as with stainless wet tumbling.
    Stainless tumbling with water, with a little soap & citric acid in a Rebel 17 or a Thumlers machine cleans & polishes all the cases inside & out including the primer pockets - it is the only one operation process to do that to large batches of cases simultaniously.
    I first deprime then wet tumble, throw away dirty water, rinse with cold water, separate media & dry the cases on the top of a radiator - very easy & quick for perfect results.
    I used to hate primer pocket cleaning each case individually it was a fiddly dirty time consuming chore - don't do it any more now I wet tumble.
    Plus I like shiny cases that permit easy inspection for cracks etc.

Ian
    Last edited by Yorric; 20-03-2016 at 08:56.

Thanks I hate cleaning the pockets out to pish job !!
    I will look into this thanks ��

The notion that US cleaning does not clean the case inside and out -including the primer pockets- is nonsense. If there is a problem with people using US cleaners it is their insistence in using home made cleaning solutions; some are good, most are not. My brass comes from my US spotless including the inside of the case and primer pockets. I use a commercial solution mixed to the proper proportions. It never fails to produce squeaky clean cases.~Muir

Hi Muir - Which commercial cleaner do you use? Does it clean off oxydized deposits like annealing colours?

Ian

Quote Originally Posted by Yorric View Post
    Hi Muir - Which commercial cleaner do you use? Does it clean off oxydized deposits like annealing colours?

Ian
    I use the Hornady. One jug makes about 6 gallons of cleaner. No deposits like many of the home made citric acid blends. Another thing about US cleaners: If you get one designed for jewelry it might be less than satisfactory. Mine came from a dental lab and was used for dentures and the like. A commercial US of some kind combined with a good cleaner will leave clean brass.~Muir

Muir, The Hornady stuff costs about 80 per litre here in the uk! So that's a no-no! As always ripoff Britain strikes again!
    I used to use a cleaner from International Products inc called Micro that was ok- ish. It was very good for cleaning black powder bullet cases but they changed the formulation & ther new stuff is not as efficient in my 6 litre USv cleaner.
    IMHO the US system is not as robust or tolerant a process as the steel tumbler.
    Ecover washing liquid & citric acid is very cheap & as I said gives blingtastic results in the steel tumbler. The important thing to remember is not to put in too much acetic acid or you get stained/tarnished brass instead of brass bright brass.

Ian

Quote Originally Posted by Yorric View Post
    Muir, The Hornady stuff costs about 80 per litre here in the uk! So that's a no-no! As always ripoff Britain strikes again!
    I used to use a cleaner from International Products inc called Micro that was ok- ish. It was very good for cleaning black powder bullet cases but they changed the formulation & ther new stuff is not as efficient in my 6 litre USv cleaner.
    IMHO the US system is not as robust or tolerant a process as the steel tumbler.
    Ecover washing liquid & citric acid is very cheap & as I said gives blingtastic results in the steel tumbler. The important thing to remember is not to put in too much acetic acid or you get stained/tarnished brass instead of brass bright brass.

Ian
    Ian,
    As I said, there are jewelry-type ultrasonic cleaners, and then there are industrial ultrasonic cleaners. I have access to military grade US cleaners made for cleaning jet engine parts that you can't stick your hand into while they are running. They will get anything clean. The only complaint I have with stainless is the media getting where I don't want it. Many years ago when the ball and pin SS media was first becoming popular, I had a customer bring me a rifle with a blown case. There was a steel pin jammed sideways in the front half of the case I removed. Pulling other loads he found a few bits of media that he thinks stuck to the inside of the case while drying. I gave away my industrial sized tumbler and switched to US after that. As I said, the cases come out clean brass with a light shine and clean pockets and internal walls. (I just pulled one hundred, 300 AAC cases out of the US, as a matter of fact. They look great.) In truth i attribute much of the effortless clean i get to the Hornady cleaner.

And speaking of which, eighty pounds per liter?!!!?? I thought the $20 US I pay was bad. Normally it's pound to the dollar. 4:1 is pretty awful.~Muir

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	01ea7bc2eea4241e1659fce2e4bc4313fec9350edd.jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	445.6 KB 
ID:	68114Click image for larger version. 

Name:	01a781f82a1dd99a2bed163860dcf56b8d753b4db0.jpg 
Views:	28 
Size:	979.0 KB 
ID:	68115
    +1 for Yorric
    In true Blue Peter style.....Here's some I did earlier. 100 .243 cases, STM in a Thumblers, 3 litres of hot water, good splash of Fairy Liquid and 25 grams of citric acid. Tumbled for 90 minutes then flushed/rinsed thoroughly in cold water, placed on a radiator to dry.
    Off to my friends annealing machine next.......

Just a question were would you get the stainless media and thumler machine in the UK, recommend anywhere?