Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gear box problem??

Gear box problem??

Hi folks,

Just been on my permission to do some maintenance on some high seats and I've noticed a clicking noise from what seems to be near the front wheels are, it only happens in 4High but not in 2WD or 4Low! Any ideas?

Alex

What wagon.....as we used to make clicking noises to make the pony go faster....

Clicking can be CV joint on a lock....

My Pajero used to click with the front wheels in as they were worn out.

Wash it off jack it up and take a look.

Tim.243
    Stalking is very much like going to the night club

You can always tell an Essex Boy, just you cant tell him much...

An hour in the field is worth a week of typing trash.....

What vehicle is it? Do you have freewheeling hubs? Obvious quick one you haven't picked any debris like a stick or something? Another idea, does it make a worst noise when your turning on full lock if so could be a CV? In short could be a number of things....
    “Go afield with a good attitude, with respect for the wildlife you hunt and for the forest and fields in which you walk. Immerse yourself in the outdoor experience. It will cleanse your soul and make you a better person.”
    –Fred Bear -

It will be a cv, reason for not clicking in low will be speed related, not fast enough to click, more of a quiet "slide" in the joint.

It's a D40 Nissan Navara on an 06 plate. I haven't done it on full lock yet but the tempo of the clicking gets faster as speed increases... But only in 4high not 2wd or 4 low.

Thanks for your replies so far chaps!!

Quote Originally Posted by AlexN View Post
    It's a D40 Nissan Navara on an 06 plate. I haven't done it on full lock yet but the tempo of the clicking gets faster as speed increases... But only in 4high not 2wd or 4 low.

How about same speed in 4 high as 4 low ?

How about same speed in 4 high as 4 low ? Is there a centre diff that's engaged in 4 low but not 4 high?

Quote Originally Posted by rodp View Post
    How about same speed in 4 high as 4 low ? Is there a centre diff that's engaged in 4 low but not 4 high?
    I'll try the same speed in 4 low later when I get down from my high seat. I'm not sure about the diff thing, it does have a centre diff I think

Blog Entries
    View my Gallery (39)View my Gallery (39)
    Quote Originally Posted by rodp View Post
    It will be a cv, reason for not clicking in low will be speed related, not fast enough to click, more of a quiet "slide" in the joint.
    im with rod on this, happened to me on a few trips on the green lanes many years ago. failing that you have a drive shaft or a hub problem,

bob
    WARNING: LUPUS IS A KILLER, lets support them in the need to find out what it is, what causes it and how do we defeat it. Donating to LUPUS UK | LUPUS UK

Living with Lupus - YouTube

I'll try the same speed in 4 low later when I get down from my high seat. I'm not sure about the diff thing, it does have a centre diff I think

That could be manually engaged in 4 high but automatically in 4 low, still with cv though.