Anyone believe I.D.S. ?

kes

As it says, a clear sheet of ice cool blue water between 'Dave' and IDS. I find it hard to believe that two grown-ups could have got themselves into this position. As for IDS giving a fig for anyone but himself - never. Anyone see downing Osborne or the EU 'out' vote as a justification ?
I see it as a grandees plot to ensure the next leadership (Boris) as IDS wouldnt be involved - for obvious reasons.

A scheme to sink Osbornes chances of being next PM? No, not that! Really? I'd never have believed it!
:doh:

Last edited:
It's easy to be cynical, but IDS might well be the single most decent man in the Tory party, if not British politics.

He's actually a pretty crap politician, he was useless as Tory leader in the face of a Blair labour government. However, there can be no doubt that he is genuinely committed to changing the UK's relationship with welfarism.

There you go, I've broken one of my own rules - don't discuss politics on the web....

Yes, I think do believe IDS.
Good article here from Janet Daly. I think she pretty much skewers what this is all about.

Moral missions make no sense to those who treat politics as a branch of PR - Telegraph

Whatever or not you agree with IDS's welfare reform programme, he is surely a conviction politician which in this post-Blair era has come to be seen as something quaintly comical.
If we have to trust the word of those involved in this fracas, we have only their track records to go on, in which case I'm far more inclined to believe Ian Duncan Smith than George Osborne or David Cameron.

Yes, I think do believe IDS.
Good article here from Janet Daly. I think she pretty much skewers what this is all about.

Moral missions make no sense to those who treat politics as a branch of PR - Telegraph

Whatever or not you agree with IDS's welfare reform programme, he is surely a conviction politician which in this post-Blair era has come to be seen as something quaintly comical.
If we have to trust the word of those involved in this fracas, we have only their track records to go on, in which case I'm far more inclined to believe Ian Duncan Smith than George Osborne or David Cameron.

+1 He shot with us twice and I found him to be a real Gent. I wouldn't believe anything the others said as they have to try and put him down.

Yes. I think IDS is a decent man. Now, whether he's right or not I'm not sure. Osbourne reminds me of a weasel, a polecat....one or the other...something positively verminous about him.

Last edited:
As a species, politicians have their entrenched views which they will try to promote at every opportunity. You may be a Labour or Tory supporter, but they're all the same, just the views are different. There may have been some higher meaning involved in choosing their views, but generally that quickly disappears and they stick to them, whether good for the country, good for the poor, or not. Eventually with pretty much all of them, it's just about self-promotion.

Very rarely, you get politicians that have a conscience and actually really do want to serve the country and it's inhabitants. I can't think of too many. IDS has some of these qualities I'm sure and I believe that has some bearing on his resignation. But, somewhere amongst it, there will be other factors. Maybe he is thinking of winding down and not seeking re-election but living off his substantial pension (and the rest) or maybe he wants to hang his flag on the Boris bandwagon.

But that's the world we live in. Politicians have been the same since Roman times and before. The only difference now is that the knife in the back is metaphorical.

Thought he came across well on the Marr show. Certainly his reasons seem believable. Not a fan of politicians and am disappointed by Cameron but IDS seems to have become a figurehead of hatred by the left and possibly unfairly.

Alas the very reason people wish to become politicians should, in fact, preclude them from being politicans!

I think we should all vote for Francis Urquhart or even Frank Underwood !

What? Eh? They are fictional you say?????/

I'd prefer Rory Underwood. He could sidestep people better than politicians sidestep questions and wouldn't be caught out - because he couldn't be caught at all!

Back